Twitter: CJ Goodwin to be activated from the practice squad - named ST captain

Gambit

Reaction score
The league is heading there.....The way the NFL is trying to limit high speed collisions, don't be surprised if in a few years the NFL just eliminates punts or kickoffs and sets the starting line of scrimmage at the 25 for kickoffs to start games or after scoring drives and 50 yards down the field from the line of scrimmage if a team fails to get a first down .....
Why are you the way you are?

Reading that just depressed me. For now though, I'll be looking forward to kickoff and punts and seeing CJ Goodwin play gunner at a high level.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Goodwin is a difference maker.

Both plays he has made since he has been here were spectacular.

Qcard

Reaction score
A short video interview and stating he's a bottom of the roster ST captain on a team where almost half the team is a captain or alternate Captain of some sorts is your defense of a player who was so valuable he was CUT from the team and not signed by another team..
Go study about Veterans players, cuts and free agency in the NFLPA.. because you have no clue what you are talking about.

CJ Goodwin is a Vested Veteran..they forgo the Waiver wire and the Veterans decided which Team they decided to go to if Cut. Goodwin has had offers from the Texans and he had other offers this year too. He chose the take 1 of 6 veteran practice squad spots....get educated!!

This is why you can't be taken seriously and you are relegated to Participation Trophy Era.

Anyone who played on a Competitive level knows Team Captains are not just chosen arbitrarily...

The Cowboys have 3-4 Game Day Captains...Offense, Defense, Special Teams and weekly winner (good practice or previous game)

Look who made the list along side Kearse and Zack last season Opener...Goodwin!!

I'm not saying he isn't good at what he does, he is, I'm just saying he's a one trick pony position in a league that's trying to eliminate these high speed special team collisions hence all the rule changes and more to come and what special teams coaches want, kicking it through for a touchback and 45 yard punts that are fair caught..
You lack context....whom exactly is going to replace you One Trick Pony??? Anyone can do the job? Everyone who suits up gets a chance Everyone gets a Trophy!!! :lmao2::lmao2:
Get rid of a player without a viable replacement because the league is adjusting the rules shows a lack of team building or competitive play awareness.
I guess 31 other teams get it in a changing league that values players that need do more than one thing on a field to justify being active on gameday...The league is changing, this isn't your 80 or 90's NFL, hence why the running back position is now a devalued position, the safety position where players need to be interchangeable, I guess you can't see the forest for the trees...
You couldn't see the cement missing from your brick wall....

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I guess you never saw Bill Bates play?
I also watched Bob Lilly and Don Meredith play, What part of "IN TODAYS NFL" didn't you comprehend?....Bill bates started and played Safety and linebacker also for the Cowboys, Goodwin does one thing, he may be good at that one thing but IN TODAYS" NFL, you need to do more than that to justify a roster spot on game day when players active is limited in a league that's minimizing special teams high speed collisions by the rule changes. Goodwin couldn't care Bill Bates lunch box....

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I also watched Bob Lilly and Don Meredith play, What part of "IN TODAYS NFL" didn't you comprehend?....Bill bates started and played Safety and linebacker also for the Cowboys, Goodwin does one thing, he may be good at that one thing but IN TODAYS" NFL, you need to do more than that to justify a roster spot on game day when players active is limited in a league that's minimizing special teams high speed collisions by the rule changes. Goodwin couldn't care Bill Bates lunch box....
Same….. ‘limited role‘… as you put it. That’s what made him vital for the team. Bates only started on those talentless Last Days of Landry teams.

IMO, they should probably revamp the ST Roster rules a little more so the whole PS roster gaming isn’t even necessary.

The only nod I’ve ever seen from the NFL for it is the 1 ST Pro Bowl selection.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Go study about Veterans players, cuts and free agency in the NFLPA.. because you have no clue what you are talking about.

CJ Goodwin is a Vested Veteran..they forgo the Waiver wire and the Veterans decided which Team they decided to go to if Cut. Goodwin has had offers from the Texans and he had other offers this year too. He chose the take 1 of 6 veteran practice squad spots....get educated!!

This is why you can't be taken seriously and you are relegated to Participation Trophy Era.

Anyone who played on a Competitive level knows Team Captains are not just chosen arbitrarily...

The Cowboys have 3-4 Game Day Captains...Offense, Defense, Special Teams and weekly winner (good practice or previous game)

Look who made the list along side Kearse and Zack last season Opener...Goodwin!!

You lack context....whom exactly is going to replace you One Trick Pony??? Anyone can do the job? Everyone who suits up gets a chance Everyone gets a Trophy!!! :lmao2::lmao2:
Get rid of a player without a viable replacement because the league is adjusting the rules shows a lack of team building or competitive play awareness.

You couldn't see the cement missing from your brick wall....

I gave you context, reading comprehension seems to be lacking for you.... there is no upside to Goodwin, evidently other than the same response you give, which are emojis and participation trophies and gaslighting, you offer nothing....So the Texans came calling for him but he choose to stay in Dallas, what a shocker, a garbage team or staying with a contending team.....the rules are dictating who you should keep and what players have upside than can develop, Fedohko was a good special teamer last year too but he was cut, as he should have been because he offered no upside as a receiver...what does Goodwin offer the team other than running down for touchbacks and fair catches, there's 10 other guys also running down the field, he has zero upside, I'd rather keep a player with some upside, Land for example for one....This isn't the 90's...Goodwin offers nothing at cornerback so who are you not going to activate so Goodwin can be active, Deuce, a better corner, Tolbert, etc WHO are you not activating so a Goodwin can run down the field and in the very rare time there's a return in todays NFL?? so enjoy your participation trophy

Qcard

Reaction score
I gave you context, reading comprehension seems to be lacking for you.... there is no upside to Goodwin, evidently other than the same response you give, which are emojis and participation trophies and gaslighting, you offer nothing....So the Texans came calling for him but he choose to stay in Dallas, what a shocker, a garbage team or staying with a contending team.....the rules are dictating who you should keep and what players have upside than can develop, Fedohko was a good special teamer last year too but he was cut, as he should have been because he offered no upside as a receiver...what does Goodwin offer the team other than running down for touchbacks and fair catches, there's 10 other guys also running down the field, he has zero upside, I'd rather keep a player with some upside, Land for example for one....This isn't the 90's...Goodwin offers nothing at cornerback so who are you not going to activate so Goodwin can be active, Deuce, a better corner, Tolbert, etc WHO are you not activating so a Goodwin can run down the field and in the very rare time there's a return in todays NFL?? so enjoy your participation trophy
Context matters..... Yep!! How many yards has CJ helped flip for the Cowboys.....educate yourself

blueblood70

Reaction score
I completely understand what you're saying and while I agree to some extent, in particularly in this game I would have preferred them carry some extra offensive lineman vs a ST ace..

I believe the fact that the Cowboys were very disappointed in Kelvin Joseph happened to be cut he would have been the guy who would play special teams and corner on game day and not take up a worthless spot but given he's gone and the other changes on special teams that come every year,

I think they had to go with the trusted guy...

so, in this case you kind of have to trust the coaches and they decided to keep the guy and make him active,

so, a fan's opinion means nothing in here when it comes to this stuff because I think they know better I think they understand how that works with him taking up a roster spot and maybe an extreme emergency he does play corner/S who knows? We've seen some strange position flex in the past you know like Jeff heath playing kicker etc so anything is possible..

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Maybe he can be 4th in line at qb incase all the other guys get hurt. shrugs.....run fast, jump high

Last edited:

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
I completely understand what you're saying and while I agree to some extent, in particularly in this game I would have preferred them carry some extra offensive lineman vs a ST ace..

I believe the fact that the Cowboys were very disappointed in Kelvin Joseph happened to be cut he would have been the guy who would play special teams and corner on game day and not take up a worthless spot but given he's gone and the other changes on special teams that come every year,

I think they had to go with the trusted guy...

so, in this case you kind of have to trust the coaches and they decided to keep the guy and make him active,

so, a fan's opinion means nothing in here when it comes to this stuff because I think they know better I think they understand how that works with him taking up a roster spot and maybe an extreme emergency he does play corner/S who knows? We've seen some strange position flex in the past you know like Jeff heath playing kicker etc so anything is possible..
I'm certainly not bashing Goodwin the player, he is good at what he does, he's a great special teamer but just offers nothing as a corner and has no upside...and I agree with you on Joseph, he just never developed as a NEED pick high in the second round, always a mistake when Dallas drafts for NEED instead of best player available

blueblood70

Reaction score
I'm certainly not bashing Goodwin the player, he is good at what he does, he's a great special teamer but just offers nothing as a corner and has no upside...and I agree with you on Joseph, he just never developed as a NEED pick high in the second round, always a mistake when Dallas drafts for NEED instead of best player available
well that's not what I meant I meant they gave up on him but I think he was as good as Goodwin on special teams and at least he can play some in games at corner better than good ones so it's shocking that they didn't keep him and get rid of Goodwin. I'm saying that trade of KJ is what caused us to have to keep Goodwin,,

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
well that's not what I meant I meant they gave up on him but I think he was as good as Goodwin on special teams and at least he can play some in games at corner better than good ones so it's shocking that they didn't keep him and get rid of Goodwin. I'm saying that trade of KJ is what caused us to have to keep Goodwin,,
I agree with you sentiment, I mentioned during the offseason don't be surprised if Joseph doesn't make this team, I thought the organization got tired of his act and he just didn't develop as the corner they thought they were drafting.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
They traded for Igbinoghene who can play outside corner. They didn't believe in Kelvin Joseph on the outside. He was playing solid as a slot in preseason but the Cowboys already have Bland and Lewis as slot guys. Having a better outside corner prospect is worth it.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They traded for Igbinoghene who can play outside corner. They didn't believe in Kelvin Joseph on the outside. He was playing solid as a slot in preseason but the Cowboys already have Bland and Lewis as slot guys. Having a better outside corner prospect is worth it.
Dude the people around here completely missed the point I'm talking about Kelvin Joseph's ability to play great on special teams and be able to play corner his trade affected us keeping Goodwin.. I mean does that not fall into what we're sitting here talking about and yet you wanna bring up the fact that he was replaced with another corner that wasn't what we were talking about we're talking about special teams ace that can only play special teams and I'm talking about the disappointment that we didn't get to keep Calvin Joseph special teams ability and his ability to be a backup at corner if we would have kept him I don't think Goodwin would have been retained that was my point..