Recap: Claiborne played well against St. Louis but was affected by missed calls

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
Carter is about 10 yds down the field before he even turns to look. No one is within 10 yds of the Ram player in the left flat. I don't think either Carter or Wilcox had a clue of what was called and neither were in a position to do anything.

He was sprinting to that spot to prevent Mo's guy from catching a curl route.

Bluestang

Reaction score
@CyberB0b thats a cover 3 with 4 underneath zones curl/flats (Scandrick and Carter) and the two seams (LBer and Wilcox).

It's about as textbook as they come.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Understand exactly what you're saying, but I find it amusing that people often degrade the player for where he was drafted. Players have no control over where they're drafted...that's on the GM/Scouts/Coaches.

i got that, but he was supposed to be the next best thing besides peterson.

whats funny is he makes mistakes peterson didnt even make his rookie year, yet people are still standing up for him like he's what he's supposed to be, when he's not.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Watching live it looked like Claiborne was torched over and over. After watching the coaches film, I thought he had a pretty good game but got burnt because of a couple of missed calls rather than his actual play.

I only saw one glaring mistake.

SmallTeemingFishingcat.gif

For what ever reason, Claiborne wants to bluff off coverage (or wasn't sure what he wanted to do?) and tries to get back but the ball is snapped before he can. Luckily, Wilcox was over the top.

What about the sideline play?

Pkcy0tw.png

He had tight coverage and was in good position to make a play on the ball. He didn't have enough time to take another step. He jumps and he gets one hand on the pass but it doesn't affect the ball enough because it still lands in the receivers hands. Sometimes a better throw and catch beats good coverage.

What about the two touchdown passes he gave up?

I already made a post about the last TD. STL sets an illegal pick, which was missed by the refs, and that frees up the receiver.

FriendlyUnevenEkaltadeta.gif

If you look at the receiver at the top of the screen you'll notice he sets an NBA worthy moving screen on Scandrick in the endzone. Claiborne is playing his man but once he sees what happened he tries to work back and cover Scandrick's assignment.

What about the other touchdown pass where he gets beaten badly?

Well the thing is, I know Quick isn't faster (pun?) than Claiborne so it confused me why he got a step on him. After watching the coaches film you can see how he does.

ClutteredIdenticalGrayling.gif

It might be hard to tell from the gif but as they are about to cross the 40 yard line Quick shoves Claiborne to get separation.

ONJjLMM.jpg

Sorry for the quality but you can see what I'm talking about. Claiborne is in good position. Quick fully extends his arm and shoves Claiborne. The pass from Davis was in stride so there was no way for Claiborne to make the tackle. Shoving happens, I get it but the receiver got full extension and with Quick's size and long arms (6'3 218 34.5") it affected Claiborne's ability to maintain his coverage. Looked like offensive pass interference to me.

Going through the coaches tape Claiborne showed tight coverage when Dallas played man. I disagree with the comments bashing him and calling him a bust. He's a talented player. He just needs to be in a man coverage based defense for more than a year. Don't forget he's played in three different schemes for three different defensive coordinators since he's been in the league. Claiborne seems like a guy who is a little slower to digest the playbook. If he can play the same scheme for more than a season I think his play improve greatly.

I believe if we had a more consistent pass rush we wouldn't be talking about the corners. I think they're good but they get exposed because the opposing QB's have time to scan the field.

Screamed at the TV on that pick play.... Thanks for highlighting it..

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score

whats funny is he makes mistakes peterson didnt even make his rookie year, yet people are still standing up for him like he's what he's supposed to be, when he's not.

Not an argument but who said he was supposed to be the next best thing? I don't follow college ball. That's why I'm asking.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
@CyberB0b thats a cover 3 with 4 underneath zones curl/flats (Scandrick and Carter) and the two seams (LBer and Wilcox).

It's about as textbook as they come.

Doesn't Wilcox usually cover the flat on this play, while Carter would normally play the seam? Is this just a wrinkle?

gmoney112

Reaction score
Not an argument but who said he was supposed to be the next best thing? I don't follow college ball. That's why I'm asking.

He was a blue chip prospect and widely considered one of the top defensive players in the draft. Most thought he'd go Top 3. I'm not a scout but I follow the draft every year, and Mo was supposed to be a complete shutdown corner. Higher rated than Haden and better in coverage than Peterson.

Also, I noticed someone saying he makes mistakes Peterson didn't make his rookie year. Take these with a grain of salt, there is absolutely no way anyone on this board has All-22 filmed every game Peterson played his rookie year so really they're full of it.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score

The Cowboy's front office said he was the highest ranked corner since Deion. Everyone before the draft said he was a top CB prospect.

perrykemp

Reaction score
I'd argue that Patrick Peterson is a better athlete than he is a CB.

In the end, I guess it does't matter.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score

It was of the oft comparisons when he was coming out....like this article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aiborne-be-a-better-pro-than-patrick-peterson

Mel Kiper went so far as to say

Perhaps the lesser-known of the LSU corners, but the better one. He's just very good, an exceptional pure cover corner with impeccable instincts at the position. Locates the ball and can catch it. Not a burner, but plenty quick.

rwill784

Reaction score
Would Patrick Peterson, Revis or Sherman let any of the above happen to him?

thats the question I have as to whether or not I judge if he played well or not.

Lol revis was too busy getting torched by Oakland's scrappy wideouts.

bvhawkeye

Reaction score
Clairborne looked like **** the entire game, got benched like he should for very poor play and threw a temper tantrum because he was a first round pick

slick325

Reaction score
[qu"speedkilz88, post: 5700008, member: 34"]On talkin cowboys they said he was suppose to switch. But that he thought that he was suppose to play zone.[/quote]

If that's true, then that goes to knowing the calls and route recognition. That would add to the negatives leading to his benching.

But...to my naked eye...no way he thinks it's zone because Mo would have stayed outside once his man left his area. That was man to man and Scandrick got beaten OR Mo didn't switch which was pre-determined by coaches.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score

The coaches aren't standing up for him anymore. If he doesn't come around quickly, he'll likely play out his contract and be gone elsewhere. Maybe even get cut after this year, though I highly doubt that.