Recap: Claiborne played well against St. Louis but was affected by missed calls

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Morris got beat in one game as much as peterson does in a season. So yes, playing with a full deck.

You are changing what you said. You claimed those three CBs would not get beat when the WR pushed off. That was a ridiculous statement.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Eh, the piling on at this point is pretty ridiculous but there are a whole lot of excuses in the OP. Every CB deals with these exact same issues (picks, subtle shoves, throws beating coverage, etc.)

The Rams game isn't the only sample Claiborne is being judged on. He didn't lose his job just because of the Rams game, or just because of his play this season.

Without a doubt, the kid is a bust - meaning the position he was selected isn't justified by his play. That doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If you're playing the receiver eye-to-eye to start the play and then allow him a free release to the outside, even a marginal passer is going to complete that over the top. There was zero disruption early in the pattern which leads us into the "when you're even, I'm leavin" dynamic.
He was playing Cover 3, a coverage specifically designed not to get beat deep. He's not supposed to press the WR, so he can stay with him. He was burned and Quick barely touched him.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Sorry he did not play well. At all. And had Roy Williams syndrome after he got beat when he jumped up and started pointing fingers. The team has all this film and then some on Mo and decided to demote him, even after his game winning pick. He played very bad and has been his whole career so far.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Thank you - lot of work went into that.

I think the rap on Mo is not this particular game but his body of work in general and where he was drafted. He simply has not met expectations due to - technique, fundamentals, toughness, intelligence in digesting the playbook (which you pointed out.) and he has a general lack of confidence at this point.

In addition, I don't know how Pro Football Focus breaks down their ratings but he is graded out 95 out of 96 so others see problems in his play play and that is unacceptable. Next, the coaching staff obviously feels that it's a bit more than some missed calls or bad luck. You just don't bench starters for that.

Finally, from a casual fan who has never had any coaching experience - he doesn't pass the eye test. Scandrick is aggressive and always around the ball, Sterling Moore has been too and Patmon in pre season was the same way. My eyes also tells me Wilcox is not around the ball.

Not to say he can't rebound, Sean Payton just benched his first round corner and talked to him about former good corners who came back from rough starts to have good careers. I hope he rebounds and plays sound football for the Cowboys at some point.

Like, like, like, like, like.

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
Eh, the piling on at this point is pretty ridiculous but there are a whole lot of excuses in the OP. Every CB deals with these exact same issues (picks, subtle shoves, throws beating coverage, etc.)

The Rams game isn't the only sample Claiborne is being judged on. He didn't lose his job just because of the Rams game, or just because of his play this season.

Without a doubt, the kid is a bust - meaning the position he was selected isn't justified by his play. That doesn't mean he can't play in the NFL.

I don't believe that most are taking the opportunity to pile on. You pointed out in your post (and rightly so) that it's not just the Rams game. Speaking for myself, I've held the same position about Claiborne for a long time. (Check the record.) But, I don't call him or anyone a bust. I believe anyone can get better if they work hard enough. Claiborne has not been able to do it here. Maybe somewhere else.

It's funny to me how the same arguments are being used for him that are used for a QB (which will go unmentioned). Oh my how the tables turn.

Nation

Reaction score
For the most part, I think you're right that Claiborne wasn't really as bad as people want to believe, but he got torched by Quick, there's no two ways around it. That little armbar or whatever you want to call it simply isn't going to get called, so he better learn not to let that sort of thing have such a big impact.

Yup and the pick play 9 out of 10 times doesn't get called for OPI either

lostar2009

Reaction score
Sooooo....Mo the 100 yards they put on Mo was not his fault ? Cough..Cough ...Cough. Well i dont JG and JJ feel the same way.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Show the various plays when St. Louis threw the ball underneath and forced Claiborne to make a tackle (or shed a blocker and make a tackle). He was horrendous. And that's why STL gameplanned for that.

There's a reason why he got demoted and it's not because he got some missed calls.

YR

Exactly...............he was horrible in the run game. A couple of times he just fell to the ground as the runner got near him, looked like Deon making "business decisions" back in the day. Problem is that you can do that if you cover your man like a blanket all day like Deon did. When you don't wont any part of the run game and you are getting toasted in the passing game as well...............

You end up on the bench.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Sooooo....Mo the 100 yards they put on Mo was not his fault ? Cough..Cough ...Cough. Well i dont JG and JJ feel the same way.

Yea, the excuses are starting to get laughable at this point.

Pointing out that Peterson has given up 13 TDs in the past 2 seasons is suppose to show that MO aint that bad..............LMAO..............there is a reason every team in the NFL considers Peterson one of the best CBs in the NFL and Mo is sitting on the bench.

And as far as the "push offs" and "arm bars" go................welcome to the NFL. There are pick plays, push offs, arm bars, shoving, tripping, face guarding, and everything else you can think of going on just about every single play. The refs call about 10% of what happens, so if you are a CB that cant deal with getting an arm bar, maybe you should not be playing in the NFL.

Not piling on Mo, just saying that the decision to bench him by the coaching staff was not because of one single game against the Rams. He has been a liability all season and the coaches finally had enough of it. Besides, its their butts on the line as well. If this team does not make the playoffs, all these coaches are gone. So hell yes they are going to make a change when a guy is sucking and their jobs are on the line.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Pointing out that Peterson has given up 13 TDs in the past 2 seasons is suppose to show that MO aint that bad..............LMAO..............there is a reason every team in the NFL considers Peterson one of the best CBs in the NFL and Mo is sitting on the bench.

And as far as the "push offs" and "arm bars" go................welcome to the NFL. There are pick plays, push offs, arm bars, shoving, tripping, face guarding, and everything else you can think of going on just about every single play. The refs call about 10% of what happens, so if you are a CB that cant deal with getting an arm bar, maybe you should not be playing in the NFL.

Not piling on Mo, just saying that the decision to bench him by the coaching staff was not because of one single game against the Rams. He has been a liability all season and the coaches finally had enough of it. Besides, its their butts on the line as well. If this team does not make the playoffs, all these coaches are gone. So hell yes they are going to make a change when a guy is sucking and their jobs are on the line.

You have zero argument other than a generalized complaint. All you are doing here is showing you are hard headed.

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I appreciate this the OP. And you know....I thought this watching the TV. I don't think Claiborne is crazy enough to say he's getting pushed off and it not happen when everyone can see if it happens or not.

The only play I wanted to know about was the one where he looked hesitant. Very silly play by him but with the way his game was looking on the telecast? It just looked bad for Claiborne. And I wondered why Davis didn't throw it but i'm glad to see it was because Wilcox helped out over the top.

I've said it time and time again.....Claiborne's play has been overblown and for the life of me I don't know why. Even in the 1st two games. Sure you'd like more plays being made but he wasn't terrible in those 1st two games to warrant all the threads dedicated to him.

lostar2009

Reaction score

I agree, if a little physcial play stump him then we need to move on. As you said this isnt a one time game this has been going on for a while. If Scandick and Moore has not been playing so well i bet Mo would be still playing. But thats the thing Mo thought he could not be bench. Im tired of these weak dumb players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Jerry and JG don't know what they're doing but when it comes to proving a point about how "bad" Claiborne has been...you guys rely on his "benching" by two guys you consider incompetent as validation for your opinion that Claiborne has been terrible?