Clarett!!! : whats wrong with this guy??

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
Associated Press
MIAMI -- Maurice Clarett stiff-armed another commitment, reinforcing doubts about his reliability and fitness with the NFL scouting combine three weeks away.

“ If a supermodel can run through the course in high heels and not get injured, I'm pretty sure Maurice Clarett can do it without getting injured. ”
— Dan Jones, VP of the company producing skills event

The elusive, reclusive former Ohio State running back had been scheduled to participate in the college football all-star challenge, an eight-player skills event taped Monday by Fox TV at Dolphins Stadium for broadcast Saturday.

But he recently hired a new agent, Steve Feldman, who told organizers late last week that Clarett was pulling out.

"It was completely my decision," Feldman said. "He wanted to be there, but from a safety standpoint, it doesn't seem logical to take a chance that he might tweak something or pull something or damage something that would prevent him from showing off his stuff at the combine."

At the combine a year ago, Clarett showed up overweight and declined to work out. He'll be eligible for the draft in April after his legal bid to enter the NFL last year was overturned by an appeals court. He hasn't played since being suspended by Ohio State following the 2002 season.

Feldman said Clarett is healthy and working with a private trainer but declined to say where.

"This guy will blow people's minds at the combine," Feldman said. "He is in fantastic shape. That's why it seems ludicrous to jeopardize it at this point."

Following the combine in Indianapolis, which begins Feb. 23, Clarett will likely take part in two or three private workouts, Feldman said.

Organizers of the all-star challenge said Clarett had accepted an invitation to the event earlier in January before hiring Feldman.

"Unfortunately Maurice is carrying forward his tradition of not honoring commitments and being very unpredictable," said Dan Jones, vice president of Intersport, the company producing the show. "We were excited about giving him an opportunity to change the public perception, and unfortunately he has done the exact opposite and reinforced it."

Players participating included Aaron Rodgers, Jason White, Carnell Williams and Braylon Edwards, who shrugged off Clarett's absence.

"To be invited to something like this, I thought it would be something good for him," Edwards said. "Clarett's Clarett."

"I would be curious to just meet him and see where his head's at," Williams said.

Organizers disputed Feldman's contention that Clarett would have risked injury by participating. The event measures agility, speed and strength, and Jones said model Marisa Miller -- who will appear on the show -- tested the course without incident.

"If a supermodel can run through the course in high heels and not get injured, I'm pretty sure Maurice Clarett can do it without getting injured," Jones said.

But with the combine approaching, Feldman said Clarett can't risk even a minor injury, unlike other NFL prospects.

"The other guys have film. They've played the last two years. They can afford a tweak or pull," Feldman said. "He can't. He's got to be ready."

Feldman's clients include New England Patriots Corey Dillon and Rodney Harrison. Clarett has also retained as an attorney David Kenner, who has represented Death Row Records founder Marion "Suge" Knight.

Clarett rushed for 1,237 yards and 16 touchdowns as a freshman in 2002, leading Ohio State to the national championship. He was then suspended for lying to investigators during an NCAA investigation of allegations he received improper benefits from a family friend.

"He's going to convince people he has learned a great deal in the last year and a half," Feldman said

dillinger319

Striped Leopard
Reaction score
I've had my doubts and Im just a Joe what about all the scouts and GMs that are going to be drafting this guy..He better hopes that he shows up in tip top shape at the combine.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Hasn't played in 2 years

character/legal issues

showed up out of shape last year

bad decision making history and surrounded by bad people.

This is a Ross, Bryant like player - No Thanks.

irvin88

Reaction score
Nors said:
Hasn't played in 2 years

character/legal issues

showed up out of shape last year

bad decision making history and surrounded by bad people.

This is a Ross, Bryant like player - No Thanks.

Steal of the draft IMO

irvin88

Reaction score
dillinger319 said:
Yeh if he was taken in the 7th rd...lol....

If this guy came out after his Fresh year he would've been mid-1st. Get in round 4/5= STEAL !!

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Can I hear a Duane Thomas Amen on Clarett?

This kid is a nut...

VoR

Reaction score
irvin88 said:
Steal of the draft IMO

Yeah just like Lawrence Phillips was a few years back.
He probably won't even be drafted now,he better hope he goes through ALL the testing at the combine and blows everybody away or his only hope of ever playing again is the CFL or Arena ball.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
irvin88 said:
Steal of the draft IMO

2 years out of football, shape issues, bad decision making character issues.

This is a steal like Ross and Bryant were. I thought we were past that stuff?

Bring in Football players, no more headaches. I'll take Kay Jay Harris in 4.

Gaede

Reaction score
This isn't Lawrence Phillips.

Clarett has maturity problems, not law/sociopathic problems.

You can't deny he has talent, hustle and desire on the football field. All he needs is a good strong coach.

VoR

Reaction score
Gaede said:

You can't deny he has talent, hustle and desire on the football field. All he needs is a good strong coach.

So then he's a Randy Moss minus the talent.

irvin88

Reaction score
Gaede said:

Guy isn't a maniac like Phillips. RUST won't be an issue-if you can run, you can run !!!!! He can run. STEAL. Him and Cedric Houston.

Reaction score
Gaede said:

Ummmm, my idea of "desire on the field" is NOT exactly playing 1 year of college ball, then getting kicked out of school 'cus you're an academic and social F-up. Seems pretty "sociopathic" to me, thks, but NOOOOOO thks!!

Gaede

Reaction score
VoR said:
So then he's a Randy Moss minus the talent.

No. Randy Moss is a perfect example of a sociopath. Do whatever you want, justify it to anyone who listens (he's very articulate and persuasive in his interviews)...Convince people you were right in doing what you did, then go right back to doing it again. No concept of right/wrong...

Clarett is just immature and probably a little stupid. He does have talent. Remember that bowl game? Some guy on the other team gets a pick, Clarett chases him down 40 yds and takes the ball right from his hands, saving a TD. I can't think of a better example of hustle than that.

The thing that worries me about Clarett is the injury history. But, with someone like BP as the coach, I have no doubt Clarett would be worth a 5th rounder. It is my opinion that Clarett just needs guidance, he didn't get that at Ohio State. Hopefully he gets it in the NFL

Gaede

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke said:
Ummmm, my idea of "desire on the field" is NOT exactly playing 1 year of college ball, then getting kicked out of school 'cus you're an academic and social F-up. Seems pretty "sociopathic" to me, thks, but NOOOOOO thks!!

see my above post. What you described is off the field.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Gaede said:
No. Randy Moss is a perfect example of a sociopath. Do whatever you want, justify it to anyone who listens (he's very articulate and persuasive in his interviews)...Convince people you were right in doing what you did, then go right back to doing it again. No concept of right/wrong...

Clarett does the same stuff. He wanted to change the draft rules because he got kicked out of school for breaking the rules and lying to the police.

No way I would draft this moron.

trickblue

Reaction score
See... here is where players like Clarett don't get a pass with me...

ANY University/Booster that gives them money is wrong...

Then they run out to an NFL career with no repercussions... they should be fined/disciplined just as the universtiy is disciplined...

Clarett took money KNOWING it was wrong... now he wants to cast a bad shadow on OSU and claim the innocent "I was a kid" routine...

He knew it... they knew it... he is a person of NO character and does not belong on this team...

I will be pi$$ed if we draft him... no matter what round...

irvin88

Reaction score
trickblue said:
See... here is where players like Clarett don't get a pass with me...

ANY University/Booster that gives them money is wrong...

Then they run out to an NFL career with no repercussions... they should be fined/disciplined just as the universtiy is disciplined...

Clarett took money KNOWING it was wrong... now he wants to cast a bad shadow on OSU and claim the innocent "I was a kid" routine...

He knew it... they knew it... he is a person of NO character and does not belong on this team...

I will be pi$$ed if we draft him... no matter what round...

who cares-probably half our roster took money in college !!!!!!!!!!!

trickblue

Reaction score
irvin88 said:
who cares-probably half our roster took money in college !!!!!!!!!!!

I care... but maybe that's just me...

Gaede

Reaction score
junk said:
Clarett does the same stuff. He wanted to change the draft rules because he got kicked out of school for breaking the rules and lying to the police.

No way I would draft this moron.

He thought the rule should be changed. I don't blame him for that at all. It was a legitimate challenge to the NFL.

Clarett does not do the same stuff as Randy Moss. All I've seen from him is hustle and talent ON THE FIELD. Randy Moss plays when he feels like it.