Twitter: Clay Mack says DB problem is due to scheme

CWR

Reaction score
Why do people all always spout off BS. ranks in TO 7 of the last 10 years and the margin to get into the top 10 in most of these years is very low. 2010 #10, 2011 #16, 2013 #13 , 2014 #2, 2016 #19, 2017 # 17 , 2018 # 16th

I think it was INTS not turnovers.

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 26th
2016 29th
2015 29th

Whatever man, the coaches were awesome...

CWR

Reaction score
Good stuff bud.
Maybe he's talking about an aggregate ranking over the years?

Maybe it's TO Ratio Against/For?

I know I sure would like some clarification.

Edit: What happened to 2019? And 2015? And 2012?
The rest, except for 1 year are average to ever-so-lightly below average.

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 26th
2016 29th
2015 29th

Anyhow, that was something that was highly discussed last season. I read the articles and shook my head in disgust. My fault for not committing it to memory verbatim. The point remains the same. OUR DEFENSIVE COACHES SUCKED. The thing that disturbed me well before seeing those stats was watching Terrance Newman, Pacman Jones, and an assortment of other dbs who were nothing more than burnt toast leave Dallas and go to other organizations to start for multiple years afterwards. It seems we haven't picked or coached DBS successfully forever now.

CWR

Reaction score
You said Turnovers, and you said Decade. which was BS

Yeah I MISPOKE. We were talking about dbs right? If I can find the article Ill be happy to shove it in your face.

Dre11

Reaction score

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 26th
2016 29th
2015 29th

Anyhow, that was something that was highly discussed last season. I read the articles and shook my head in disgust. My fault for not committing it to memory verbatim. The point remains the same. OUR DEFENSIVE COACHES SUCKED. The thing that disturbed me well before seeing those stats was watching Terrance Newman, Pacman Jones, and an assortment of other dbs who were nothing more than burnt toast leave Dallas and go to other organizations to start for multiple years afterwards. It seems we haven't picked or coached DBS successfully forever now.

You do know Todd Bowles(very good db coach) was Newman DB coach here at one point.

CWR

Reaction score
You do know Todd Bowles(very good db coach) was Newman DB coach here at one point.

Are you arguing we've had great secondary performances in the last decade? Cool story bruh.

CWR

Reaction score

Patrick Conn@PatSportsGuy

Doing some research this morning and came across this stat that will make you sick. Since 2011 (When JG became HC)

Cowboys INT created (95) which is dead last and only team with less than 100.

Passer rating allowed (93.1) 4th highest.

Completion % 65.3 2nd highest

9:41 AM - Nov 20, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

31 people are talking about this

H
eres your random BS stats people make up. Suck it.

Dre11

Reaction score

Patrick Conn@PatSportsGuy

Doing some research this morning and came across this stat that will make you sick. Since 2011 (When JG became HC)

Cowboys INT created (95) which is dead last and only team with less than 100.

Passer rating allowed (93.1) 4th highest.

Completion % 65.3 2nd highest

9:41 AM - Nov 20, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

31 people are talking about this

H
eres your random BS stats people make up. Suck it.
lol based on what you said your statemant was wrong

CWR

Reaction score
lol based on what you said your statemant was wrong

The point goes way over your head. You wanted to talk down to me for making up a random stat. Which was absolutely not the case. I told you I mispoke and should have said INTs not turn overs. The entire context of the thread was about our defensive backs. Its not that hard man.

Back to the original point and the entire theme of the thread. Our DEFENSIVE COACHES SUCKED.

You can either argue that or argue semantics either way its pointless and you are petty. I guess petty is better than ignorant though.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score

2019 30th
2018 27th
2017 26th
2016 29th
2015 29th

Gotcha boss. Those rankings are horrific. The other rankings are pretty damn bad also, when certain years aren't being selectively taken out by certain people...

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Well it's been obvious for YEARS that this Marinelli defensive scheme is actually allergic to takeaways. It puts the back in position to take away big plays but it also takes them away from a position to take the ball away, either through interceptions or tomahawking the ball out of the ball carrier's hands.
I did wonder how Marinelli got so many turnovers in Chicago before coming here. They blamed Kiffin so Marinelli took over. Then that didn’t work either.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Those of you who don't know Clay Mack, he's a big-time DB coach/trainer based in DFW. He said he doesn't think its a personnel issue with the backend. He said when he trained the Cowboys DBs in the offseason the coaches were forcing them to do only one technique instead of coaching to their strengths.

Marinelli Philosophy: We'll out-execute by keeping our technique and schemes very simple.

Sounds like Richard had the same deal going. Ugh. So glad those guys are gone.

"We do what we do"

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Garrett teams struggled at takeaways before Marinelli. Matter of fact, from 2011-2019 no team had fewer INTs than us. Different players, different coordinators, same results.
Marinelli’s teams typically had INTs before coming here. That’s what made him so alluring. It’s the same system Lovie Smith had with the Rams prior to being Bears head coach where they had a ton of turnovers.

Richard coming in the last 2 years changed from Tampa 2 to Cover 3 and never look for the ball because it’s better to just force an INT in his mind.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Those of you who don't know Clay Mack, he's a big-time DB coach/trainer based in DFW. He said he doesn't think its a personnel issue with the backend. He said when he trained the Cowboys DBs in the offseason the coaches were forcing them to do only one technique instead of coaching to their strengths.

Our defensive strategy was all over the place and the disconnect between Richard and Marinelli was a disaster. I’m glad both are gone

One comment I want to make though is about private coaches

Ive never been a big fan of personal private coaches because, in addition to skills training, they are paid to tell the player what they want to hear. The player, having paid for their advice is, of course, going to give it hefty consideration.

Many times it’s a great relationship and player, team and personal trainer are on the same page but in a year with a completely new coaching staff, I would like all of our players to be focused on absorbing what the coaches are trying to teach them and not so much on voices outside the organization.

Mack may develop a good relationship with the Cowboys staff but he was clearly in his clients ears telling them that the previous staff was clueless.

not really trying to knock his hustle but I guess I kinda am :p

just my two cents

Last edited:

Dre11

Reaction score
The point goes way over your head. You wanted to talk down to me for making up a random stat. Which was absolutely not the case. I told you I mispoke and should have said INTs not turn overs. The entire context of the thread was about our defensive backs. Its not that hard man.

Back to the original point and the entire theme of the thread. Our DEFENSIVE COACHES SUCKED.

You can either argue that or argue semantics either way its pointless and you are petty. I guess petty is better than ignorant though.

The point didnt go over anyone's head, you said they were dead last in turnovers over the last decade. it not my problem you mispoked

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score

Pssssttt. Ignore.

Reactions: CWR

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Agree.

I see people praising Nolan on here. Totally clueless.

He hasn’t had a DC job since the 2012-14 disaster in Atlanta.

good thing he is big buddies with MM.

After the disaster that Garrett/Marinelli has brought upon this organization, I welcome just about anyone who has the balls to make some necessary changes to the scheme and philosophy on defense. I'm willing to give them a chance for a few years and see what happens. Everything is a new slate with McCarthy. So long they dump that dreaded defensive scheme that we've been cursed with all these years.