Clearly they should of hired a Defensive minded coach

quickccc

Reaction score
The Cowboys Team in the Dak Era has never had much of an issue scoring points and being productive. Outside of maybe that 1 season where Dez was cut and they decided a WR by committee could work.

The Defense and Special Teams has killed this team for many years. It made absolute no sense to hire an offensive minded HC, one who didn't change the offense and doesn't even call the plays. Scary thing is, Jason Garrett is looking like the better HC. At least his coached teams were competitive.

How to fix this mess and get the right coaches in place? There is no chance Jerry is going to eat MM's contract which he signed for 30 million, but he can force him to make changes within his staff. That's what will probably be the best coarse of action at this point in time. Perhaps, makes him the OC and let him coach for his job in 2021. Another bad season, he won't survive.

Then we’re going back in time, repeating same mistake as we did in the past with having HCs with dual roles, and we’re still having HCs with making baffling game management and in-game adjustment issues and now we want to go back to dual roles, and add X’s and O’s play calling to their work load ? Geeez.

-The purpose of the choice of MM, was that he was an established veteran HC who had a SB winning resume, and has a history of working with a top QB.
Add to it that MM did not seek to replace the OC and offensive assistant now QB coach that had huge parts in transforming Dak into leader of the NFL’s No.1 offense.

-I do wonder now if Aaron Rodgers made MM better than what is, ..I was really counting on him being much better than Garrett with game management and in-game adjustments, and implementing
RB suggestions to an OC that has shown a lacking in knowing how to best use them; and there definitely has to be major questions about how MM presents a capable DC.
As we are experiencing probably the worst period of defensive football in Cowboys history.
Thought Monte Kiffin was bad …. Now this !

- I do agree with the Jones posing their will to force MM to make internal coaching changes.
Just as I said with Marinelli and how we need to change how we play defense – the same goes for DC Mike Nolan as well.
We should start there. And we should start anew. ..imo

o_O

Rayman70

Reaction score
Plenty of legitimate reasons why this has been historically bad.

-3 week offseason to install a new scheme
-No preseason
-Mass of injuries and loss in FA of Jones.
-Wrong player for Nolans scheme
wrong players, awful players, wrong scheme, wrong coach.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If the things Jerry says publicly are really what they think, this isnt getting better anytime soon.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol that be true

Just look at the DT position. Hill was inactive most of last year. He was 3rd or 4th string tackle for us. We are literally on our 4th stringers this year.

Safety.......................Thompson was backup up Heath last year and he is starting this year. LOL

At corner we have gone from Jones all the way to a rookie that just played his first game this year.

The talent on defense this year is much worse than what it was.

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Cowboys Team in the Dak Era has never had much of an issue scoring points and being productive. Outside of maybe that 1 season where Dez was cut and they decided a WR by committee could work.

The Defense and Special Teams has killed this team for many years. It made absolute no sense to hire an offensive minded HC, one who didn't change the offense and doesn't even call the plays. Scary thing is, Jason Garrett is looking like the better HC. At least his coached teams were competitive.

How to fix this mess and get the right coaches in place? There is no chance Jerry is going to eat MM's contract which he signed for 30 million, but he can force him to make changes within his staff. That's what will probably be the best coarse of action at this point in time. Perhaps, makes him the OC and let him coach for his job in 2021. Another bad season, he won't survive.
NOT CLEAR AT ALL we have zero idea how that would have turned out and with the injuries' doubt any staff would have done better..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Jerry runs the team like a man who thinks he has it all figured out. Willful ignorance is a dangerous thing.
Remember during the Romo years. Steven said they have found the secret sauce. Little did we know he was talking about finding another bottle of Johnny Walker Blue on the party bus.:p:eek::rolleyes::omg:

stiletto

Reaction score

-No preseason

Every team that has a new coaching staff has had the same problems pretty much. Those teams have all progressed and are not close to this bad. Something just isn't right with this staff. Didn't McCarthy (FF IV) tell us that they run schemes that would fit the players? What a bunch of BS...yeah the players do generally suck on Defense, there are no cornerstones really..not arguing with you there but I think it all sucks. Nothing has worked out with this coaching staff except (to me) Kellen Moore and he was here before. I guarantee you if Wade came just to be DC right now, the Defense would play better.

stiletto

Reaction score
There isnt a scheme or a coach that could make a good defense out of these turds.

It's true but they'd play "better" under someone else. Hopefully Nolan is gone and we get a mass influx of new players. We need to trade for multiple picks in this upcoming draft. No way it is getting fixed with one or two top players.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Garrett vs McCarthy is a different argument. Garrett's time here was done. There is no arguing against that. McCarthys time here should probably be over too. But that's highly unlikely.
Realistically you are correct. But hypothetically? Yeah I want off this McCarthy train before it starts.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It's true but they'd play "better" under someone else. Hopefully Nolan is gone and we get a mass influx of new players. We need to trade for multiple picks in this upcoming draft. No way it is getting fixed with one or two top players.

I would love to see them bring in a legitimate young DC to pair with Moore as the new blood.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

-No preseason

how is cover 2 a new scheme ?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I would love to see them bring in a legitimate young DC to pair with Moore as the new blood.

unfortunately, Jerry has to clean house.

most of the coaches Mike brought in are his buddies. i.e. Nolan

our assistant HC isn’t even a coach. He was a players rep. At GB.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
You answered your own question. Its not a scheme, its a coverage.

Honestly, what new scheme?

more cover 3?

most of the coverage shells look the same as last season.

only change we see is the DEs standing instead of having a hand on the ground.

We still run the 4-2-5 that Richard brought in.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Yep, they've showed their true colors. Either that or Nolan has to be the worst person on the planet...not to mention coach.

Nolan blew up the Atlanta Falcons in 2013-14.

worst defense in the NFL.

he did the same thing here.

only reason he was hired is because he’s big buddies with MikeM.