Clements getting 23M in signing bonus with the 9ers?

burmafrd

Reaction score
QBs, WRs and CBs traditionally get the big bucks. So looking at it THAT way its not that big of a shock- especially since he was the #1 CB available.
I bet that when the time comes for Newman, we will look at an extension of 2-3 years max.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
burmafrd;1399562 said:
If it is a 6 year deal, then that is not that bad of a cap hit- depending on the yearly salary. The 49rs have almost 40 million to spend; they could get 4 other guys probably for the same price.

True but teams also have to look at the effect beyond this season and how it will affect your ability to sign your own FA the following season.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
burmafrd;1399564 said:
QBs, WRs and CBs traditionally get the big bucks. So looking at it THAT way its not that big of a shock- especially since he was the #1 CB available.
I bet that when the time comes for Newman, we will look at an extension of 2-3 years max.

its not so much about the posistion and the money that would be offered to a player of clements stature. but the owner. york is probably the cheapest owner in the history of the nfl. the guy almost lost control of his team by the league because he wasnt spending

alancdc

Reaction score
LatinMind;1399569 said:
its not so much about the posistion and the money that would be offered to a player of clements stature. but the owner. york is probably the cheapest owner in the history of the nfl. the guy almost lost control of his team by the league because he wasnt spending

Agreed. That is the shock for me as well.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I think he was probably told that he better start spending or the league will start taking action. With that much in cap space, and no one on the team that will need re signing in a big way, its dumb to NOT spend it. And its not like he doesn't have the money.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
Shuttemdown41;1399444 said:
That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw that 23M dollar figure - Newman is gonna break the bank. :eek:

BTW, Henry makes more than Newman.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
burmafrd;1399595 said:
I think he was probably told that he better start spending or the league will start taking action. With that much in cap space, and no one on the team that will need re signing in a big way, its dumb to NOT spend it. And its not like he doesn't have the money.

no the league told him, if he didnt start spending the team would either be taken over by the league or control would be given over to his sister

Doomsday101

Reaction score
In recent years the 9ers have been in cap trouble they are out of cap problems now.

With free agency set to begin March 2, the 49ers have the wherewithal to be a big player on the market for the first time in many years.

Coach Mike Nolan and personnel chief Scot McCloughan spent their first two seasons with the 49ers making sure to get the team's salary-cap problems under control. Now, they head into free agency in good shape to make a play for some of the league's top players.
Two players the 49ers are certain to pursue are Ravens linebacker Adalius Thomas and Bills cornerback Nate Clements.

Thomas is the kind of outside linebacker that Nolan has been looking to plug into his 3-4 defense. Thomas recorded 11 sacks last season, while the 49ers' sack leader was Brandon Moore with 6 1/2.

The 49ers were interested in acquiring Clements at the trade deadline last year. But the Bills were demanding a second-round draft pick and did not allow the 49ers an opportunity to negotiate a new deal with Clements before making the trade, the Santa Rosa (Calif.) Press Democrat reported.

The 49ers have more than $36 million in cap room entering free agency, and McCloughan said he would prefer to spread that money around.

"We're not one player away," McCloughan told MediaNews. "We're a handful of players away. We have to remember that when we address free agency. But you also have to get the best football players, too."

Although the 49ers believe they have jockeyed their way into position to be a playoff contender with a strong off-season, the team also wants to avoid using the same philosophy the 49ers used in the past. They want to have a long-term view as they build the team. Therefore, they might be reluctant to pay close to $20 million of guaranteed money for a free agent.

"We're not living for one year," McCloughan said. "We're living for two, three, four years down the line. The overall theme is: get the best players that you can

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
If they get Thomas & Steinbach, and draft well, it is my opinion that within 2 years the 49ers will be a damned good team again.

Reaction score
eduncan22;1399663 said:
BTW, Henry makes more than Newman.

The only reason why he makes more is because that's his 2nd contract and Newman is still getting paid out of his rookie contract.... Remember he got like a 11 million dollar signing bonus...