Cleveland police refuse to participate in Browns’ national anthem

Reaction score
Cleveland police refuse to participate in Browns’ national anthem
Posted by Michael David Smith on September 3, 2017, 6:09 AM EDT

Cleveland police officers had been preparing to hold a large American flag on the field while the national anthem was played before the Browns’ first regular-season game. Now they won’t, because some Browns kneeled during the anthem before preseason games.

Cleveland Police Patrolmen’s Association President Steve Loomis told cleveland.com that officers decided not to support the Browns because of both the players’ actions and the team’s response.

“When management allows you to do those things, then that’s on them,” Loomis said. “It’s hypocritical of the Browns management and ownership to want to have an armed forces first-responder day, and have us involved in it when they allow their players to take a knee during the national anthem. That’s the very representation of what we stand for. That’s why we aren’t going to.”

The Browns issued a statement saying they support both the anthem and the right of individuals to choose not to stand for the anthem.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...use-to-participate-in-browns-national-anthem/

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I find it amusing that at a fundamental level, the officers are saying that they are mad the Browns are letting their players exercise the very rights they claim to stand for.

"How dare you use the rights I claim to stand for!" makes zero sense as a counter argument.

Even the idea of giving up on carrying the flag makes no sense. Are they protesting the American flag now?

Dodger12

Reaction score
I find it amusing that at a fundamental level, the officers are saying that they are mad the Browns are letting their players exercise the very rights they claim to stand for.

"How dare you use the rights I claim to stand for!" makes zero sense as a counter argument.

Even the idea of giving up on carrying the flag makes no sense. Are they protesting the American flag now?

Good for the cops and first responders. Why would they take the flag out only for the flag and those carrying it to be insulted and disrespected by the Brown's players and organization? They don't want to be a part of it and I agree with them.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'd suggest they're more saying "go ahead and use those rights however you choose. Just don't expect us to look the other way or to not use our own in response."

This is what happens when stuff that doesn't need to be politicized gets politicized. The Browns players have alienated a part of the Browns audience. In an entertainment league. That's their right, if their employer won't put a stop to it. But there are consequences for that, too.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Good for the cops and first responders. Why would they take the flag out only for the flag and those carrying it to be insulted and disrespected by the Brown's players and organization? They don't want to be a part of it and I agree with them.

What does the flag have to do with the Browns organization? Did the Browns found America?

I don't care if the officers feel offended and voiced that, but saying they aren't going to carry a physical representation of America because people are exercising the rights of Americans feels like arguing against yourself.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I'd suggest they're more saying "go ahead and use those rights however you choose. Just don't expect us to look the other way or to not use our own in response."

This is what happens when stuff that doesn't need to be politicized gets politicized. The Browns players have alienated a part of the Browns audience. In an entertainment league. That's their right, if their employer won't put a stop to it. But there are consequences for that, too.

We play the national anthem before just about every sporting event, so the idea that sports isn't or shouldn't be politicized doesn't really stack up with the way we have historically consumed it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We play the national anthem before just about every sporting event, so the idea that sports isn't or shouldn't be politicized doesn't really stack up with the way we have historically consumed it.

The league does that for positive branding purposes, to make football seem an American pastime and to build audience off of the association with America. Yes, it's political, but it hasn't been controversial. And that's where the real issue comes in. The Browns players engaged in a politically controversial activity to make a political point. That engagement had a negative affect on the audience for a tv show. Now they're dealing with the impact of that.

The Cleveland police don't have to associate themselves with the Browns if they don't feel they were appropriately supported by the organization. That comes with the dinner, as Jason says. If you do things to alienate people, some of them will feel alienated.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
What does the flag have to do with the Browns organization? Did the Browns found America?

I don't care if the officers feel offended and voiced that, but saying they aren't going to carry a physical representation of America because people are exercising the rights of Americans feels like arguing against yourself.

What they are saying is that they aren't going to put on their uniforms and play the dancing bear for an organization that allows it's players to disrespect them and everything they stand for. End of story.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I find it amusing that when the officers express their freedom of speech (because they are not actually working the event)...those that steadfastly claim it's the right of the players to sit out the anthem now complain that the officers are expressing their freedom of speech.

YR

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Just curious, if the Browns decided to wear Confederate Flag and swastika patches on their uniforms (and eat whatever fines apply) and the police decided to do this, would you feel the same?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I find it amusing that when the officers express their freedom of speech (because they are not actually working the event)...those that steadfastly claim it's the right of the players to sit out the anthem now complain that the officers are expressing their freedom of speech.

YR

Nice strawman you've created since no one is saying the officers must work the flag.

And for the record, the Browns players knelt in prayer, but I'm sure it's more scandalous to say they "sat out the anthem", so have at it.