Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Not trying to turn this into a political discussion. Purely want to discuss the science and get an idea of where many on this forum stand on climate change. It isn't really a left or right issue.

What do you think? Are you worried? Don't think it's real? Real but not man made?

Phoenix

Reaction score
The change from Spring to Summer here was definitely there in the local climate.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Apparently we are returning to the cold cycle similar to what happened in the 70s. So now everyone should worry about another ice age again.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Apparently we are returning to the cold cycle similar to what happened in the 70s. So now everyone should worry about another ice age again.

Get ready for the new buzz phrase... Was "global warming"... Soon, like you said, "global cooling"

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Fact - The human footprint accounts for less than 1% of climate change and/or global warming.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Well there is no way this will not become political .......

I believe in climate change ........its been happening since the earth was formed ....... its called weather.

Climate and weather are related, but also different. Weather is a more localized whereas climate is more global. The weather in New York and California can differ from each other on the same day whereas the climate is the same.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Climate and weather are related, but also different. Weather is a more localized whereas climate is more global. The weather in New York and California can differ from each other on the same day whereas the climate is the same.

It was a joke.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

I don't think most are trying to claim that climate change is going to be the end of our planet. Earth has a natural system of balancing and yes, global cooling and warming which can span hundreds or thousands of years at a time. What is alarming is the rate that our planet it changing just within the last few decades.

Carbon is one of the most abundant elements on our planet. It is what keeps our heat from escaping into space. It exists in all life forms and in our atmosphere. The rate at which we are putting carbon into our atmosphere has increased so much that other life forms can't adapt fast enough. On our last global warming cycle, plants had hundreds of years to move north towards more livable conditions. Now it appears as though they will not get that chance. Take a look at what is becoming of pollinators, though that is more of a general environmental issue rather than climate change specifically.

If our planet does enter into a warming cycle and our global temperature rises even 2 degrees, the results would be catastrophic for various forms of life. Rising sea levels, extreme drought, more severe weather phenomenons are all results of having a global ecosystem adjusting to more heat sequestering gasses.

The farther we get away from natural ecosystems the more we will see these effects.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
What is alarming is the rate that our planet it changing just within the last few decades.

Coincidentally its the only time in history its ever been recorded while its happening.

Rogah

Reaction score
Climate change is real but overwhelmingly natural. Climate has been changing for a couple billion years, I don't know why anyone thinks the past century should be any different.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do wish people understood that statement saying 97% of "scientist" believe this to be fact.
The last conference that included a much larger sample size had numbers closer to 25-30%.

What happened was the had about 4000 in the 1st survey but eliminated more that 3920 of them for various reasons.
The remaining ones were basically those receiving government grants.

I know you'll be hard pressed to find a geophysicist or geologist that would say man-made global warming is a sure thing...and a large number say "no way". I know a ton of very bright science PHDs...far FAR brighter than many of these so called climate scientists.

I personally wouldn't go solar as to write off the premis entirely, but it has massive flaws on so any levels. It also has some things to pay attention to.

One thing for sure, we need to keep overt pollution under control. Take care of our planet.
But I do think Al Gore is a crook who made 100s of millions off of what has not yet turned about to be like he predicted it would be by 2014.

Never say ever though.

The funny question some are now asking is assuming pollution was magically under control and China and India complied....is a warming globe actually a bad thing?
Many say the sum improvements may actually be better than the bad. Many areas not used could become viable.
Don't ask me.....

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Not sure about worrying I
The funny question some are now asking is assuming pollution was magically under control and China and India complied....is a warming globe actually a bad thing?
Many say the sum improvements may actually be better than the bad. Many areas not used could become viable.
Don't ask me.....

Maybe in a couple of hundred years Greenland will actually be temperate and green.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not sure about worrying I

Maybe in a couple of hundred years Greenland will actually be temperate and green.

Lol

I know really that long ago, much of northern Alaska had fern trees.

Status
Not open for further replies.