CNNSI: Banks draft... looks good for Cowboys

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451780 said:
Dwayne Jarrett is not Mike Williams. He's leaner than Williams and much quicker in and out of breaks.

Yet very much the same player who will struggle to get seperation vs NFL defensive backs.

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451780 said:
Dwayne Jarrett is not Mike Williams. He's leaner than Williams and much quicker in and out of breaks.

You are right...

Mike Williams ran a 4.55 at his workout..

Jarrett blisterd a 4.67.

austintodallas

Consider Yourself Sucked
Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451602 said:
I don't. I get a bad feeling about Ted Ginn Jr. There's just something that's nagging me about him and I can't place it.

I'd rather have Meachem or Jarrett.
Sounds like a case of Skyleritis to me.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but I expect Ginn to be gone by #22.

When push comes to shove on draft day, Ginn's speed is going to be remarkably tempting to several teams.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
McCordsville Cowboy;1451828 said:
You are right...

Mike Williams ran a 4.55 at his workout..

Jarrett blisterd a 4.67.

There's a difference between straight line speed and football speed. Jarrett is very quick in and out of his routes.

I'd like to see what Keyshawn's 40 time looks like, I doubt you guys will say he's can't get separation. WRs like Jarrett and Keyshawn are physical, they use their bodies to get the ball in traffic.

sago1

Reaction score
I'd prefer Bowe. Not only does he have all the tools of a top WR but he consistently willing to go over the middle and is the best downfield blocker of all the WRs. I just don't like Garrett & not Steve Smith either.

rysko

Reaction score
if ginn can be comparable to what az hakim was on the rams ill be pleased

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451859 said:
There's a difference between straight line speed and football speed. Jarrett is very quick in and out of his routes.

I'd like to see what Keyshawn's 40 time looks like, I doubt you guys will say he's can't get separation. WRs like Jarrett and Keyshawn are physical, they use their bodies to get the ball in traffic.

Jarrett has worse "quickness" numbers than Mike Williams did too. Jarrett isn't "very quick" in and out of his routes and because of that he doesn't get good separation. Watch the youtube clips you linked, there's almost always a guy right there on him. It's much harder for a WR to succeed in the NFL by just shielding the CB with their body than it is in college. Another guy who is the same way is Sidney Rice. Great college players but the teams that end up picking them early will just be too enamored with their production in college and won't look at how that really translates to the NFL.

If you really want a big WR who's going to succeed in the NFL then go with Dwayne Bowe.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
FLcowboy;1451879 said:
Not me. Ginn is too fragile for the NFL. Just how much weight can he put on and still maintain his speed. 180 WRs are a thing of the past. I think the Cowboys need a replacement for TO/Glenn

Of the top 12 WRs in the NFL last year(yards) Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith and Isaac Bruce are all in the 180's and 2 more, Tory Holt, and Donald Driver are both 190. Those 5 WRs have 48,612 yards and 332 TDs.

Ginn is 180 and 22 years old. Give him a couple years in an NFL program along with maturity and he'll be 190. Putting on 5% of your body weight in muscle isn't hard.

Ashwynn

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451602 said:
I don't. I get a bad feeling about Ted Ginn Jr. There's just something that's nagging me about him and I can't place it.

Right there with you on this. Something just does not feel right about Ginn.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
Big Dakota;1452044 said:
Of the top 12 WRs in the NFL last year(yards) Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith and Isaac Bruce are all in the 180's and 2 more, Tory Holt, and Donald Driver are both 190. Those 5 WRs have 48,612 yards and 332 TDs.

Ginn is 180 and 22 years old. Give him a couple years in an NFL program along with maturity and he'll be 190. Putting on 5% of your body weight in muscle isn't hard.

Yeah, I agree, it's not like Ginn is destined to weigh 180 for his entire career, he could easily get up to 185 or 190. Even if he can't contribute right away as a WR (which I think he probably can) he can still contribute on STs. I don't think Ginn will ever be the type of WR that guys like Smith, Harrison, Bruce, Driver or Holt are but I do think he'll be an above average player who can pull in 800-900 receiving yards and a fair amount of TDs per year. I wouldn't be upset with taking him at 22 at all.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
masomenos85;1452016 said:
Jarrett has worse "quickness" numbers than Mike Williams did too. Jarrett isn't "very quick" in and out of his routes and because of that he doesn't get good separation. Watch the youtube clips you linked, there's almost always a guy right there on him. It's much harder for a WR to succeed in the NFL by just shielding the CB with their body than it is in college. Another guy who is the same way is Sidney Rice. Great college players but the teams that end up picking them early will just be too enamored with their production in college and won't look at how that really translates to the NFL.

If you really want a big WR who's going to succeed in the NFL then go with Dwayne Bowe.

Keyshawn always had a guy with him but he makes the catch 99% of the time. Explain that.

starfrombirth

Reaction score
Big Dakota;1451749 said:
People are a little concerned about his size but Marvin Harrison and Isaac Bruce are both 6'0" and 185ish and they've help up. If he comes in, works hard to get stronger and run better routes while he returns punts he should be OK in a year or so.

Both of those guys were considered strong route runners in college and consistantly seperated themselves from the best cornerbacks. Ginn is just straitline speed and there have been some very fast people in this league who have done nothing. Pete hunter come to mind (6'2" 220 lbs and a legit 4.3 speed) Yet for some reason he never panned out. Strait line speed isn't good enuff there has to be something else. :D

starfrombirth

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451859 said:

Now tell me that you would be ok spending your 1st rnd pick on Keyshawn Johnson... huh?:D

COWBOYSNUM1

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451602 said:

I'm concerned about Ginn also, but I'd rather have Meachem or Bowe.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
CowboyMike;1452108 said:
Keyshawn always had a guy with him but he makes the catch 99% of the time. Explain that.

While I can't find the numbers, I would bet that Keyshawn has better agility times than Jarrett. Also, it's not exactly like Keyshawn has been an amazing WR (solid yes, amazing no) over the course of his career and he definitely wasn't worth the #1 overall pick. He's topped 1000 yards 4 times in 11 seasons and topped 6 TDs 4 times in 11 seasons. Good guy and I loved having him on the team but he's not a #1 WR. Even with that said Keyshawn is just a single example.

I can throw out the single example of Mike Williams and ask you to explain why he has something like 8 career receptions.

Find me other WRs who lack quickness in their breaks and who are succeeding in the NFL.