CNNSI: Banks draft... looks good for Cowboys

Big Dakota

Reaction score
starfrombirth;1452119 said:
Both of those guys were considered strong route runners in college and consistantly seperated themselves from the best cornerbacks. Ginn is just straitline speed and there have been some very fast people in this league who have done nothing. Pete hunter come to mind (6'2" 220 lbs and a legit 4.3 speed) Yet for some reason he never panned out. Strait line speed isn't good enuff there has to be something else. :D

But there's a difference between needing work on your routes and being Randal Williams:D If he was as bad a route runner as these "experts" seem to think he'd be out of the first. Most prospects need work, and some need a lot of work, ie Romo. His skills are evident when you watched him in college. They question is will he improve on his weaknesses and can he stay healthy?

I'll give you what the guru(Joel Buchsbaum) had to say(negatives) about Joey Galloway(another OSU alum) back in the 1995 PFW draft preview.

Is not very big. A tad stiff in the upper body. Has had knee surgery and shoulder problems. Is not a polished route runner. Tends to round off his routes. May need more self discipline. Is not a detail guy. Lacks great elusiveness and run skills after the catch and on returns. Comes across to some as being cocky and arrogant.

Summary: Big play receiver with great speed and acceleration.

Galloway never broke 1000 yards in college and wasn't near the return guy Ginn is.

Ya never know;)

Reaction score
I wouldn't be mad if Dallas chose Ginn Jr. but if Robert Meachem or Bowe is still on the board then I'd go with them. But I still say Dallas should look for an impact OLB/DE to pair with D-Ware! Oh say Anthony Spencer or Jarvis Moss.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm still not buying Ginn as a true #1 WR and think we can do better if we go WR at 22.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1452259 said:
I'm still not buying Ginn as a true #1 WR and think we can do better if we go WR at 22.

I agree, I'd rather have one of the other guys: Jarrett, Meachem, or Bowe or just go with Blalock and look at WR in the 2nd round.

You don't spend a 1st rounder on a return guy, wait til day-2 for that.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
THUMPER;1452274 said:
I agree, I'd rather have one of the other guys: Jarrett, Meachem, or Bowe or just go with Blalock and look at WR in the 2nd round.

You don't spend a 1st rounder on a return guy, wait til day-2 for that.
Hopefully he will be gone before we are on the clock. Heaven forbid he falls into the late teens and we trade up for him. :bang2:

mmillman

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451602 said:
I don't. I get a bad feeling about Ted Ginn Jr. There's just something that's nagging me about him and I can't place it.

I'd rather have Meachem or Jarrett.

Maybe Jarrett will be good, he certainly was against college db's, but that was an awful display of speed he gave at his workout. There are lots of linebackers and almost all safeties who are faster than him.

Ginn, is not nearly as big but his speed and c.o.d. is impressive.

I haven't watched Meachem much but he has had only one good year to go by.

If Dallas has their eyes set on a wr, I would do what it takes to get Johnson who will be a perrenial pro bowler in my opinion and has no question marks like the others. I know, I know, some of you will say the price is too high. Look at the past players drafted at 22 and tell me you wouldn't trade two of them for one WR with Chad Johnson ability (bigger, faster and no attitude)?

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
mmillman;1452365 said:
Maybe Jarrett will be good, he certainly was against college db's, but that was an awful display of speed he gave at his workout. There are lots of linebackers and almost all safeties who are faster than him.

Ginn, is not nearly as big but his speed and c.o.d. is impressive.

I haven't watched Meachem much but he has had only one good year to go by.

If Dallas has their eyes set on a wr, I would do what it takes to get Johnson who will be a perrenial pro bowler in my opinion and has no question marks like the others. I know, I know, some of you will say the price is too high. Look at the past players drafted at 22 and tell me you wouldn't trade two of them for one WR with Chad Johnson ability (bigger, faster and no attitude)?

The problem is if we want to trade up and get him this year's 1st and next year's 1st won't do it. We'd probably need most of our draft picks this year and next year's first to trade up high enough to take him.

Would you want to do that when you see that we don't have very much depth on this team at positions like LB and DL? Plus Johnson wouldn't have a place on this team. He just wouldn't. If you take a WR at 22 it's reasonable to give them less playing time this year to learn the system then start next year.

Ratmatt

Reaction score
CowboyMike;1451602 said:
I don't. I get a bad feeling about Ted Ginn Jr. There's just something that's nagging me about him and I can't place it.

I'd rather have Meachem or Jarrett.
I totally agree with you!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Ginn=Alexander Wright

Ginn is a better punt returner than Wright was, but no better than him as a WR.

Yeah Ginn can change a game on any play, but so can JJ, Romo, TO or Glenn, both positive and negative. Ginn doesn't score everytime he touches the ball.