CNNSI ranks the Top 25 Draft Prospects for 2008

JPostSam

Reaction score
10/13/06 - "He's gone beyond my expectations," defensive coordinator Jim Heacock said of Gholston. "He came in this spring and really kind of surprised everyone in spring ball. That's when he really kind of stepped up and it seemed like every scrimmage we had, he made plays. When a guy makes plays in practice, he's probably going to make them in a game. Vernon came out of spring ball as one of our most productive defensive players." And one of the strongest. Laurinaitis said he's seen Gholston squat 405 pounds over 20 times. "One time he started struggling with it around rep No. 8 and we thought 'OK, one more.' Then he decided to go 12 more times," Laurinaitis said. "That shows you what strength he has. If he puts his mind to it and you challenge him, he's going to try and do more. You look at him and wonder 'Is it all look or is he really that strong?' He's really that strong."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=10412

AsthmaField;1482565 said:
gholston.jpg

DAYUMMM! That is one big MoFo...

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
smarta5150;1483104 said:
Stop quoting that pic... he is scary.

Smarta5150....I'm going to break you in half...Just for being a Michigan Fan!

gholston.jpg

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1483858 said:
Smarta5150....I'm going to break you in half...Just for being a Michigan Fan!

gholston.jpg

You know how I dealt with guys like that in football...

I used to chop their legs out ;)

This guy would just leave footprints on my back though.

Did he do anything last year versus us? I honestly don't recall much of that game... it was an all day bar-fest followed by some club.

Real fuzzy.

adamknite

Reaction score
Roughneck;1482564 said:
Since you watch all Arkansas games, maybe you can shed a little insight onto another intersting Razorback prospect. What are your thoughts about McFadden's RB Counterpart Felix Jones?

I don't believe he is even eligible to enter the draft until 2009 but what I have seen from him so far has been pretty damn impressive. He's an extremely explosive player.

Felix Jones is just as fast as McFadden and has a little more wiggle and elusiveness but isn't as hard of a runner. His top speed is probably a hair faster but he's not as explusive. Felix reminds me a lot of our very own Julies Jones. This is just from watching the games, I don't have any kinda of times or do I have tapes of the game to watch and give an analysis this is just from memory of what I saw.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
smarta5150;1483863 said:
You know how I dealt with guys like that in football...

I used to chop their legs out ;)

This guy would just leave footprints on my back though.

Did he do anything last year versus us? I honestly don't recall much of that game... it was an all day bar-fest followed by some club.

Real fuzzy.

No he only had 1 solo and 3 assists...But wait till this year.:D

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
ConcordCowboy;1484052 said:
No he only had 1 solo and 3 assists...But wait till this year.:D

Was Long in front of him?

Expect the same results brother :)

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
locked&loaded;1482758 said:
what about jonathan stewart.

He probably has the best size/speed/strength ratio of any of the running backs for next year (if he turns pro, that is). He had some nagging injuries last year (mostly ankles), but if he stays healthy and has a big year, he could be a top 10 pick and might even challenge McFadden for the top spot among running backs.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
smarta5150;1484065 said:
Was Long in front of him?

Expect the same results brother :)

I do expect the same results...as in a Buckeye Win!:D

TX_Yid

Reaction score
A lot of things to like about the 2008 class.

With our 2 1st rounds we covered our bases for the possibility of Romo/JuJones not progressing.

We could trade up (If needed) to take McFadden or Henne/Brohm and if we have no problems at QB or RB we can probably sit with what we have and pick up Limas Sweed and still have another 1st round pick.

Nice.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Well, if you need a linebacker, running back, or a defensive end the 2008 draft is for you! :rolleyes:

BigDave95

Reaction score
Bizwah;1482548 said:
He injured his foot in a fight, and that limited him to hardly any action against USC...probably Arkansas biggest game.

If he matures, then I hope we get him. I like Slaton too.....he has Bush-type speed.

That's not quite the whole story. He wasn't just a thug in some bar fight. Someone was stealing his cousin's car and he ran him down and dragged him out of the driver's seat. He was injured in the ensuing struggle.

DMac is a very good kid. He felt terrible for not being able to help his team against USC. There are NO character or maturity concerns when it comes to Darren.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
If we take a WR next year, Keenan Burton from UK would be a very nice pick. Being from KY, I know how good he is and how good he can be. The guy throwing the ball to him, Andre Woodson, is also a very, very good QB. Last year, Woodson had 30+ (31 or 33 if I remember correctly) TDs and only 7 ints. Pretty darn good in the SEC.

BigDave95

Reaction score
Roughneck;1482564 said:
Since you watch all Arkansas games, maybe you can shed a little insight onto another intersting Razorback prospect. What are your thoughts about McFadden's RB Counterpart Felix Jones?

I don't believe he is even eligible to enter the draft until 2009 but what I have seen from him so far has been pretty damn impressive. He's an extremely explosive player.

Felix and Darren will both be true juniors. It's almost a certainty that McFadden will come out after next season and FJ might leave or he might stay his Sr year to try and show he can be a feature back. I'd say it's 80/20 he comes out.

While I love Felix, it's not fair to even mention him in the same breath as DMac. McFadden is the perfect 3 down NFL back. He can pound it between the tackles, has the speed to get to the outside, can catch out of the backfield or even motion to the slot. He's the total package.

Felix is just a speed back. He hasn't shown the ability to be an inside runner and gets most of his yards off sweeps. A huge chunk of his yards came with McFadden playing QB in the Wildcat. The Wildcat was basically the Wing-T with McFadden acting as QB and taking the snap and either running between the tackles or handing to Felix who was in motion. Teams had to stack the box to stop DMac so when he did hand it off, Felix would get 10 yards per carry to the outside. Great for his stats but it doesn't really translate to the NFL.

CrazyMonster

Reaction score
Aqib Talib

CB Kansas

6'2 195 lbs

Richardson, Texas

Talib was a shining star in a bleak Kansas secondary in 2006. He had six interceptions and led the nation with 28 passes defended even though opponents had little reason to throw in is direction. Kansas, which ranked last among Division I-A teams in pass defense, must improve its secondary, but at least the Jayhawks don't have to worry about Talib.

This is the man we should hope to grab w/ the Browns #1 pick. The fact that no one has mentioned him yet is assinine.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Does anyone think Houston (or whoever has the Number 1 pick) wouldn't trade with us for our 2 First Rounders?

I figure that Jerry will try every possible angle to get to 1 without pulling a Ditka. What if McFadden is that much of a sure thing? I'm starting to worry that if we don't have the #1 pick, we won't get him.

Bizwah

Reaction score
BigDave95;1484153 said:
Felix and Darren will both be true juniors. It's almost a certainty that McFadden will come out after next season and FJ might leave or he might stay his Sr year to try and show he can be a feature back. I'd say it's 80/20 he comes out.

While I love Felix, it's not fair to even mention him in the same breath as DMac. McFadden is the perfect 3 down NFL back. He can pound it between the tackles, has the speed to get to the outside, can catch out of the backfield or even motion to the slot. He's the total package.

Felix is just a speed back. He hasn't shown the ability to be an inside runner and gets most of his yards off sweeps. A huge chunk of his yards came with McFadden playing QB in the Wildcat. The Wildcat was basically the Wing-T with McFadden acting as QB and taking the snap and either running between the tackles or handing to Felix who was in motion. Teams had to stack the box to stop DMac so when he did hand it off, Felix would get 10 yards per carry to the outside. Great for his stats but it doesn't really translate to the NFL.

I would agree with that. Felix just doesn't run as "tough" as McFadden.

I can't believe I didn't hear the whole story on McFadden. All the reports around here (Springfield, MO) said that he injured his foot in a fight. I don't visit Razorback sites much......I'm a bigger Cowboy fan.

Felix is a heckuva return guy.....

locked&loaded

Reaction score
AdamJT13;1484081 said:
He probably has the best size/speed/strength ratio of any of the running backs for next year (if he turns pro, that is). He had some nagging injuries last year (mostly ankles), but if he stays healthy and has a big year, he could be a top 10 pick and might even challenge McFadden for the top spot among running backs.

thanks. i dont follow college football to much but i remember catching him run a couple games and he looked good. Didnt know about the ankle injuries, but ya there does seem to be alot of good rb coming out.