Coaching Change Isn’t the Only Problem

NickZepp

Reaction score
The head coach is still Jerry Jones and till that changes nothing will change. The problems with talent are pretty large. Especially on the lines on both sides. We get no pressure from our front 7 on defense and our offensive line is old and often injured. It's a shell of what it was just a few years ago. We kept a lot of the players way too long on the line and it's getting abused.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Jason will be retired after the season.

Marinelli and KOquin are fired.

KMoore stays as OC.

KRichard is the new DC.

The new HC? who knows.
Perfect. A HC who was willing to accept the meddling owner handing him coordinators is gonna command respect in the locker room.

This team will need to be completely rebuilt before they have another shot if this is the blueprint.

kevm3

Reaction score
That's the problem with this organization. EVERYONE else has to look perfect in order for Garrett to look like a competent coach. All the players have to perfectly execute. All the coordinators have to call things perfectly. Garrett gets to sit back and get credit for their work and when things go awry, they are the ones that get the blame. There's a reason new england has been successful going on two decades despite constant player departures and coordinator departures. HEAD COACHING. NE went 11 and 5 without Tom Brady and with Matt Cassell and yet with that same guy, we couldn't win a game with him starting. If your underlings have more responsibility and more accountability than you, then that's a problem. What organization does the CTO and VP have a greater effect on the organization than the CEO?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
New HC will need his own staff. All these people will be gone

I don’t think so.

Jerry is the GM.

He hires all the coaches.

besides, we do have some excellent coaches.

not all of them are the problem.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Perfect. A HC who was willing to accept the meddling owner handing him coordinators is gonna command respect in the locker room.

This team will need to be completely rebuilt before they have another shot if this is the blueprint.

the HC isn’t the GM in Dallas.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Both of the Joneses are a problem and will continue to be a problem.

Just read these shining examples of delusion:

I love it when Stephen says” those are Jerry questions”.... “ it’s his decision”.

That’s really all you need to know. While they will acknowledge there are issues ultimately they aren’t willing to take action . Because they are the problem. Meaning Jerry’s final decisions are the problem.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Coaching is the ONLY problem-minus JERRY!!! Because the PROBLEM has been the same for 9 years and counting! 24 with JERRY!!! Do the math! You tell us ALL what we are seeing isn't what we see every year under this idiot coach! Be a Garrett loyalist to the end but be honest.

Last edited:

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is a sham. The players aren’t nearly as good as we miscalculated based on last season. I remember reading an article, that I mistakenly dismissed, that predicted a down year for the Cowboys based on the number of close 1-score wins we had last year. The author showed that historically, that doesn’t hold up. If you win an inordinate number of close games and come from behind games one year, you generally come back to the mean.

Coaching is an issue, but our secondary, LBs, DL, OL, TE are all over-rated and under performed based on our expectations.

Penalties, beaten regularly, and absolutely not dominant in short yardage—OL.

Not reliable outlet for the QB, can’t stretch and challenge LBs and S’s—TE.

Missed tackles, poor coverage, no turnovers, crucial lapses on 3rd and long—secondary.

Missed tackles, surprisingly far below expected growth from last year, a weak group that on paper was expected to be the strength of the defense—LBs.

DT—Woods and Collins should rotate at 1 Tech and look for upgrade. We literally have no true 3 Tech to make this scheme work. Quinn is our star rushman, and while DLaw didn’t put up the sack #’s, he’s still among the best LDEs in the game. Not his fault we paid him like a top RDE.

It won’t be popular, but the only positions I’m actually sold on at this point are QB, RB, and WR (despite their drops).
The biggest problem is Jerry. He still doesn’t get that he’s the main reason we haven’t done anything in the playoffs for 24 years. All problems we have start with Jerry.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Both of the Joneses are a problem and will continue to be a problem.

Just read these shining examples of delusion:

The right thing to do-Stephen-? is to fall on the sword with dignity. As the leaders did in the days of the Romans after a disastrous outcome.. I'll buy the sword for you.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is a sham. The players aren’t nearly as good as we miscalculated based on last season. I remember reading an article, that I mistakenly dismissed, that predicted a down year for the Cowboys based on the number of close 1-score wins we had last year. The author showed that historically, that doesn’t hold up. If you win an inordinate number of close games and come from behind games one year, you generally come back to the mean.

Coaching is an issue, but our secondary, LBs, DL, OL, TE are all over-rated and under performed based on our expectations.

Penalties, beaten regularly, and absolutely not dominant in short yardage—OL.

Not reliable outlet for the QB, can’t stretch and challenge LBs and S’s—TE.

Missed tackles, poor coverage, no turnovers, crucial lapses on 3rd and long—secondary.

Missed tackles, surprisingly far below expected growth from last year, a weak group that on paper was expected to be the strength of the defense—LBs.

DT—Woods and Collins should rotate at 1 Tech and look for upgrade. We literally have no true 3 Tech to make this scheme work. Quinn is our star rushman, and while DLaw didn’t put up the sack #’s, he’s still among the best LDEs in the game. Not his fault we paid him like a top RDE.

It won’t be popular, but the only positions I’m actually sold on at this point are QB, RB, and WR (despite their drops).

No, those issues point to coaching problems.

No OLine can dominate in short yardage if the defense knows what is coming and if the blocking scheme does not help the unit play better than a collection of individuals.

Marinelli's DL scheme is outdated. Player like M.Collins have been limited as pass rushers because they're having to over-focus on the run because the DL scheme is susceptible to the run.

The Cowboy have had issues with a lack of turnovers for the entire duration of Garrett as the Head Coach and definitely with Marinelli as the D-Coordinator. The players have changed over the years with the same results. That points to coaching.

The coaches appear to be afraid to deviated from their depth chart to play new or young players at some positions.

With Heath out, Thompson has been terrible against the run and tackling in general, yet we have not seen either Donovan Wilson who was the star of the preseason games on defense OR Josh Jones who has starting experience in the NFL.

They don't have much invested at TE. I don't think anyway gave the Cowboys a high rating at TE going into this season.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great list.

A few adds

Valuing emotion over common sense. - Witten over Jarwin...

Failure to admit a mistake - Keeping Garrett and Marinelli this long. Not having an alternative to Maher

Pride vs Reality - so Atlanta wanted Garrett and you felt that meant he was the next Landry..... Big Miss on you part.

History doesn't repeat itself all the time.. Landry was extended because he could coach.... Garrett is no Landry.

The old isn't always the best - Marinelli defense, Garrett 90's offense... Richards dream of " legion of boom"... Hey guys look for the football...

My keepers

Moore - he has the offense moving, just need to tighten up the tendency to go away from whats working.. ( ever watch the Saints, they will be behind, but still run )

Sanjay - our receivers need to get over the drops etc but otherwise are improved.

Yes, it's too bad that Moore get lumped in with the problem because I think he is constrained by Garrett but I think Moore is doing well with regards to what is in his control.

I'm certain that Garrett often says "run" or "pass" when Moore is calling plays.

Also, I'm certain that Moore has very limited control over the run blocking scheme and that has been a huge problem.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Everything you listed can be corrected with good coaching.............poor coaching is our #1 problem.
Don’t be ridiculous. How can coaching make good DTs out of weak ones or a true TE out of garbage. The head coach can’t fix the regression of the stars on the OL. We don’t have legitimate starting NFL safeties. We don’t have a True MLB....instead, we have 3 guys who are all weak side types.

we need a complete overhaul and philosophy change on defense. Maybe the right OC can work with what we have on offense IF a true TE is brought in.

ghst187

Reaction score
Everything you listed can be corrected with good coaching.............poor coaching is our #1 problem.

agree. Talent is plenty good here and lot of other teams doing more with less. It’s a matter of preparation, discipline, and execution. There’s none of the first two and no accountability for the latter.
Belecheat would have this team at one loss or less right now.

Eightneight

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, I’d argue that the attitudes and way of thinking of our players is just terrible. They’re all content and happy after a loss. They show no emotion. Bennett, the only one from a winning locker room, had to set them straight because of the stupid mindset this team has. What kind of professional sports team is happy after losing in embarrassing fashions week in and week out? They sit on the sidelines looking suicidal with no energy and without a care in the world, and then they light up when the game is over and go ask each the Bills players for their jerseys. Embarrassing. This team also gets mocked, bullied, punked, and embarrassed every week by the opposing team and the players of this team do nothing about it. I’m also convinced all the players care about is money and fame. Winning and championships is but a mere bonus to them. Nothing more.

If a new HC came in, he’d have to change the way of life and outlooks on life of our players here in Dallas. Most new HC’s wouldn’t have to do this, so it is an extra challenge our new HC will face.
Agree. There is a culture problem that stinks throughout the entire organization. It reminds of a Government organization. No accountability and no concern about doing things the right way.

stiletto

Reaction score

KMoore stays as OC.

KRichard is the new DC.

The new HC? who knows.

Hate this scenario. I want the new HC to be able to pick his staff and have a really, really MAJOR say in the personnel even if decisions are made none of us like. If it takes getting a Bill Cowher type to wield that kind of sword then so-be-it. With that said 5 years is what he should get. Not freakin 10 like Jerry's Fairy-Tale "Garrett".

Eightneight

Reaction score
Agree. There is a culture problem that stinks throughout the entire organization. It reminds of a Government organization. No accountability and no concern about doing things the right way.
I mean if you think about it....this type of team has been prominent ever since Jimmy Johnson left. He was able to establish a culture of self discipline and winning. Ever since....it's been this dumpster fire. He was the last coach to put his mark on the Cowboys. All others have been yes men/ puppets except Parcells and he couldn't put up with JJ for more than a couple years. This culture permeates from JJ on down. It really is similar to Government. If anyone has worked for Gov you know what I'm talking about. It's going to take a special coach to fix this.

Dre11

Reaction score

KMoore stays as OC.

KRichard is the new DC.

The new HC? who knows.

Lol...so you don't allow the new HC to bring in his own staff. There lies part of the problem...lol