Coaching Change Isn’t the Only Problem

superonyx

Reaction score
It's true, and there are also probably different, team-specific reasons that it's true.

Last year, this team was very conservative on offense for three quarters, then attacked in the 4th. This year, the team is aggressive from the beginning of games, so the dramatic change of styles in the 4th quarter is gone. The result is more blowout wins and more close losses. Last year, 14 of our 18 games were decided by one score or less. This year, 9 of our 12 games have been double-digit wins or close losses.

When the aggressive style is working, we build big leads and eventually win. When it isn't working as well, the game is (usually) close in the 4th, but we no longer have the option of flipping the switch to attack mode since we're already there. And by then, defenses have adjusted to what we've been doing all game long.

Target 15+ yards
(as a percentage of total attempts)
Qtr 1-3 only
12.4%
4th qtr tied or trailing by 8 or less
26.0%

Qtr 1-3 only
20.5%
4th qtr tied or trailing by 8 or less
20.4%

The deeper throws were our ace in the hole in 2018, but this year we've already played that card by the time we're in the 4th quarter.
But arent most NFL games decided by a score or less. This is why if you look at the point spreads its typically 1-7 point spreads.

The difference between 12-4 and 4-12 is typically winning or losing the games decided by 1 score or less.

superonyx

Reaction score
These two clowns actually involve themselves in the coaches meetings and game planning meetings. As if they know Jack squat about what needs to be done on the field.

especially the one on the right.

“we gotta get back to work”

Get back to work? Get back to work? You’re only in your position because the owner is your daddy. You’ve never done anything other than ride daddy’s coattails. Get back to work? Go screw your self. But he is another narcissist who enjoys listening to himself on the radio when he calls into the Fan.
Having the owner or even GM involved in the coaches game plan meetings is pretty awful stuff.
This is why they keep marshmallow men like JG, Campo, Gailey, Wade around.

I am trying to imagine these 2 forcing their way into a Parcells coaches game planning meeting. No way Bill would just sit there and let these 2 tell him what he needs to do. I can see Parcells face now.

catiii

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, I’d argue that the attitudes and way of thinking of our players is just terrible. They’re all content and happy after a loss. They show no emotion. Bennett, the only one from a winning locker room, had to set them straight because of the stupid mindset this team has. What kind of professional sports team is happy after losing in embarrassing fashions week in and week out? They sit on the sidelines looking suicidal with no energy and without a care in the world, and then they light up when the game is over and go ask each the Bills players for their jerseys. Embarrassing. This team also gets mocked, bullied, punked, and embarrassed every week by the opposing team and the players of this team do nothing about it. I’m also convinced all the players care about is money and fame. Winning and championships is but a mere bonus to them. Nothing more.

If a new HC came in, he’d have to change the way of life and outlooks on life of our players here in Dallas. Most new HC’s wouldn’t have to do this, so it is an extra challenge our new HC will face.
You got it right. I'll condense it even more: These players think they're stars because they're NFL players, NOT because they're Dallas Cowboys.
Nothing but mercenaries which explains the public spectacle Zeke jersey signing for another player. It's all about them as individuals looking for cred..not the team.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Someone mentioned Aikman as GM. In general, this is heading in the right direction. But I'm not sure Aikman is the right guy.

I think more Tony Romo. He has shown a tremendous understanding of the game at every level; like Aikman, no player could ever question his courage or loyalty to the Cowboys; but unlike Aikman (and more like Staubach), Romo has a competitive edge in everything that seems obsessive. That's what I want.

Now, can he evaluate player talent? I don't know, and many of us here don't know, but it can't be worse than Garrett. A shakeup of this level is the only thing that could save the Cowboys because as ALL of you have commented, Jerry the GM is a problem . . . but Jerry isn't going anywhere. The best option is to minimize his input a la Jimmy J or Bill P.

Agree. I think Tony sees the warts. Big question is he a John Lynch GM ?

Insight into Lynchs influence and our Marinelli defensive line. Quote

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/buc...keep-coming-for-former-bucs-great-john-lynch/

"Drawing on his playing days in Tampa, Lynch built up San Francisco’s defense.

There are five first-round picks rotating on the 49ers defensive line, including Nick Bosa, the second overall pick in the 2019 draft, and Dee Ford, who San Francisco brought over from Kansas City. "

Jerry J has to wonder, how can San Franciso go from SB contender in the last 10 years to dumpster divers, now back in the middle of things.

Answer: JG and Rod M....... Time to go.... Chris Richard " aka Dave Campo - dog chase cat DB never look for the ball " you are close behind....

catiii

Reaction score

mahoneybill

Reaction score
If Aikman gets his wish, the team that gets him is SB bound..it def won't be us.

Troy was a great QB with a support cast around him. Until he had a legit line and a ferocious D he wasn't the Hall of Fame he later became.

Throw in Emmitt, a real chain mover and a TE like Novacek , and of course Irvin as a Wide out and we would get the 3rd down when needed

Been around long enough to remember the 11 sack game against the Eagles, and even JJ drafting Steve Walsh as he had doubts about Aikmans mental toughness.

That said I'm glad I experienced the Landry years and JJ years as the Garrett " fools gold" quest has run its course......

San Francisco has been a SB contender, dumpster fire, and back among the elite, while the " Garrett Process" is still unfolding....

I for one am tired of seeing 3rd and 20 be converted. Used to be more often than not that was a guaranteed we get the ball back.

Also, starting constantly inside the 15 yard line doesn't yield a lot of points and gives the other team great field position when you have a reliable kicker from 40 yards in.

Let that sink in.... Should be 40 yards out, but in our case the closer the more the risk....

egn22

Reaction score
Jason will be retired after the season.

Marinelli and KOquin are fired.

KMoore stays as OC.

KRichard is the new DC.

The new HC? who knows.
New HC will need his own staff. All these people will be gone

egn22

Reaction score
Troy was a great QB with a support cast around him. Until he had a legit line and a ferocious D he wasn't the Hall of Fame he later became.

Throw in Emmitt, a real chain mover and a TE like Novacek , and of course Irvin as a Wide out and we would get the 3rd down when needed

Been around long enough to remember the 11 sack game against the Eagles, and even JJ drafting Steve Walsh as he had doubts about Aikmans mental toughness.

That said I'm glad I experienced the Landry years and JJ years as the Garrett " fools gold" quest has run its course......

San Francisco has been a SB contender, dumpster fire, and back among the elite, while the " Garrett Process" is still unfolding....

I for one am tired of seeing 3rd and 20 be converted. Used to be more often than not that was a guaranteed we get the ball back.

Also, starting constantly inside the 15 yard line doesn't yield a lot of points and gives the other team great field position when you have a reliable kicker from 40 yards in.

Let that sink in.... Should be 40 yards out, but in our case the closer the more the risk....
I like hearing an opinion from someone who witnessed the Landry years! Good stuff

baltcowboy

Reaction score
There's a bigger one, and unlike the coaches it's not going to change:

jerry-stephen.jpg
Football has evolved. Every year you have to change and find ways to get better. The main issue is the Jones family inability to fire their friends. Football is a brutal sport and the Jones family want to be comfortable coming to work with yes men. Jimmy Johnson talked about the first years coaching with Jerry on First Things First yesterday. He said something that went over lots of people's heads about Jerry being 150 million in debt and he was trying to get out of debt. Then after winning the first Superbowl, he came back in the office and said the debt was gone. I took it as Jimmy saying when Jerry had to deal with other issues he stayed away from the team. But once that debt was paid he started to meddle.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Agreed. Plus, I’d argue that the attitudes and way of thinking of our players is just terrible. They’re all content and happy after a loss. They show no emotion. Bennett, the only one from a winning locker room, had to set them straight because of the stupid mindset this team has. What kind of professional sports team is happy after losing in embarrassing fashions week in and week out? They sit on the sidelines looking suicidal with no energy and without a care in the world, and then they light up when the game is over and go ask each the Bills players for their jerseys. Embarrassing. This team also gets mocked, bullied, punked, and embarrassed every week by the opposing team and the players of this team do nothing about it. I’m also convinced all the players care about is money and fame. Winning and championships is but a mere bonus to them. Nothing more.

If a new HC came in, he’d have to change the way of life and outlooks on life of our players here in Dallas. Most new HC’s wouldn’t have to do this, so it is an extra challenge our new HC will face.

This is disturbing. They interviewed Cowboys players about what the plane trip back from Green Bay was like after the Ice Bowl, and they said it was dead silence like being in a coffin. And this even though no one on this earth could accuse those Cowboys players of not playing their hearts out. They gave it everything they had and played a great game, but came up a little short to another great team. If any of our current players are perfectly happy after a loss where they looked like fools, I don't want them.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
This is disturbing. They interviewed Cowboys players about what the plane trip back from Green Bay was like after the Ice Bowl, and they said it was dead silence like being in a coffin. And this even though no one on this earth could accuse those Cowboys players of not playing their hearts out. They gave it everything they had and played a great game, but came up a little short to another great team. If any of our current players are perfectly happy after a loss where they looked like fools, I don't want them.

Today’s Players aren’t the same as yesterday’s players. It’s sad but true. I doubt our players are “happy” that they’ve lost, but it’s more of the fact that they don’t “care” that they lost. That’s why they consistently come out and lose every other game. They don’t care. They don’t care about winning. They don’t care about championships. They don’t care about each other. They don’t care about fans. They don’t care about being mocked, bullied, and embarrassed. They just don’t care. I guess a better word would be apathetic.

lockster

Reaction score
These two clowns actually involve themselves in the coaches meetings and game planning meetings. As if they know Jack squat about what needs to be done on the field.

especially the one on the right.

“we gotta get back to work”

Get back to work? Get back to work? You’re only in your position because the owner is your daddy. You’ve never done anything other than ride daddy’s coattails. Get back to work? Go screw your self. But he is another narcissist who enjoys listening to himself on the radio when he calls into the Fan.
I think ur dead wrong about them knowing what goes on on the field. Not only have both played football, but both have been around and in meetings for years, even a dumb person would gain much knowledge. The mistakes these guys are making, aren't what needs to be done on the field, but the type of coaching structure that needs to happen and type of coaches they need. They have actually corrected many of their past mistakes, so they aren't dumb. They are more like stubborn and too comfortable. You saying they are not qualified to know, just how are you qualified to decide? Do you have test scores or first hand knowledge of their knowledge? Do you have the knowledge to know they don't have knowledge? I bet Jerry could draw up a bunch of plays even at his advanced age. He also understands the coaching is failing us. It's just taken too long to get rid of his bias' to his ppl. They have been managing not according to their knowledge, but their wants.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Today’s Players aren’t the same as yesterday’s players. It’s sad but true. I doubt our players are “happy” that they’ve lost, but it’s more of the fact that they don’t “care” that they lost. That’s why they consistently come out and lose every other game. They don’t care. They don’t care about winning. They don’t care about championships. They don’t care about each other. They don’t care about fans. They don’t care about being mocked, bullied, and embarrassed. They just don’t care. I guess a better word would be apathetic.

If that's true, then it completely degrades the quality of the sport and makes it not worth watching. I grew up watching the insanely intense rivalry between the Cowboys and Commanders where winning meant everything to every player on both teams and to the coaches and all the fans. Today's league just keeps disappointing me.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s two men looking for the problem but won’t look in the mirror.
They have looked in the mirror but don’t care enough to get out of the way bringing in more expertise.

It’s not stupidity, it’s sheer selfish arrogance . And all at our expense.

Last edited:

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
If that's true, then it completely degrades the quality of the sport and makes it not worth watching. I grew up watching the insanely intense rivalry between the Cowboys and Commanders where winning meant everything to every player on both teams and to the coaches and all the fans. Today's league just keeps disappointing me.

It’s the money. Society puts way too much value on it today. Money and fame is all that matters in young people’s eyes. Take it from a young person. It’s sad and it sucks that fans have to see this. The sport will die if this attitude carries on.

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
I like hearing an opinion from someone who witnessed the Landry years!

Those of us who did got a bit spoiled, seeing a well coached team stocked with true talent. We thought it would always be that way. We were what the Patriots are now. Teams, especially in the NFC, knew they were going to have to deal with us.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team is a sham. The players aren’t nearly as good as we miscalculated based on last season. I remember reading an article, that I mistakenly dismissed, that predicted a down year for the Cowboys based on the number of close 1-score wins we had last year. The author showed that historically, that doesn’t hold up. If you win an inordinate number of close games and come from behind games one year, you generally come back to the mean.

Coaching is an issue, but our secondary, LBs, DL, OL, TE are all over-rated and under performed based on our expectations.

Penalties, beaten regularly, and absolutely not dominant in short yardage—OL.

Not reliable outlet for the QB, can’t stretch and challenge LBs and S’s—TE.

Missed tackles, poor coverage, no turnovers, crucial lapses on 3rd and long—secondary.

Missed tackles, surprisingly far below expected growth from last year, a weak group that on paper was expected to be the strength of the defense—LBs.

DT—Woods and Collins should rotate at 1 Tech and look for upgrade. We literally have no true 3 Tech to make this scheme work. Quinn is our star rushman, and while DLaw didn’t put up the sack #’s, he’s still among the best LDEs in the game. Not his fault we paid him like a top RDE.

It won’t be popular, but the only positions I’m actually sold on at this point are QB, RB, and WR (despite their drops).

Scoring points is issue no 1 now the rest you can figure out bud......

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I like hearing an opinion from someone who witnessed the Landry years! Good stuff
Tex was just as big of promoter and pimp as Jerry is. The difference is Tex let Landry run football operations.

Jerry tried that initially with Jimmy but wanted credit for the football success. Just taking credit for hiring the right guy wasn’t enough.

And this really is what separates the eras. An owner intent on being everything and face of the franchise from “ socks to jocks”.