Cobb and Cowboys close to deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And we ultimately cut Dez for that lack of production. Whatever it might be "about" for you, Cobb hasn't shown it. Not since 2014.
I'm not saying Randall Cobb is good or bad I'm simply asking a question. What is his statistics in passes percentages caught. What I actually said was. It's about when you're good it's about when you're bad it's not about how many yards you get

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It's like who cares if a football team puts at 500 yards in a game and losses. I rather get 275 and win

Kaiser

Reaction score
It's entirely applicable.

Its applicable if you move the goalposts five pages later in the thread. So pedestrian for Stash NOW means "pedestrian in terms of catches for dollar of salary". Got it.

And it actually isn't pedestrian even then. 10 Million for a WR ranks 20th in the NFL, for a guy who was 27th in catches. That's basically getting what you pay for.

And Dez Bryant didn't have 1000 yards receiving in his last three years as a Cowboy, when he was pulling down 15 Million a year. You weren't calling him pedestrian during that time.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Cole Beasley had the best hands in the league four passes percentages caught. How does Randall Cobb stand in that category.

For their careers the percentage of passes caught per targets is essentially the same, 70% for Beasley and 69% for Cobb. "Targets" is a pretty amorphous stat though, they include balls thrown over your head that aren't catchable so I would still go with a scouts opinion over the stat.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its applicable if you move the goalposts five pages later in the thread. So pedestrian for Stash NOW means "pedestrian in terms of catches for dollar of salary". Got it.

And it actually isn't pedestrian even then. 10 Million for a WR ranks 20th in the NFL, for a guy who was 27th in catches. That's basically getting what you pay for.

What year was $10 million "20th in the NFL"? And what year(s) was he "27th in catches"? Context matters. And you expect it from others, so you should provide it yourself.

It's "pedestrian". And a gross overpayment to not even get 1,000 yards for $10 million.

And Dez Bryant didn't have 1000 yards receiving in his last three years as a Cowboy, when he was pulling down 15 Million a year. You weren't calling him pedestrian during that time.

I also wasn't clamoring to say he was worth it, the way you're trying and failing to say that Cobb was.

Kaiser

Reaction score
What year was $10 million "20th in the NFL"? And what year(s) was he "27th in catches"?

ITS IN THE THREAD AND IN THE MESSAGES YOU REPLIED TO.

I'm out, if you wont even read the messages you are replying to all of this is pointless.

Or I should say, moreso.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
For their careers the percentage of passes caught per targets is essentially the same, 70% for Beasley and 69% for Cobb. "Targets" is a pretty amorphous stat though, they include balls thrown over your head that aren't catchable so I would still go with a scouts opinion over the stat.
Is Cole Beasley had the ball hit his hands he caught it. He has the best percentage for passes caught. Not targets

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ITS IN THE THREAD AND IN THE MESSAGES YOU REPLIED TO.

I'm out, if you wont even read the messages you are replying to all of this is pointless.

Or I should say, moreso.

Good. You should have quit a long time ago.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What year was $10 million "20th in the NFL"? And what year(s) was he "27th in catches"? Context matters. And you expect it from others, so you should provide it yourself.

It's "pedestrian". And a gross overpayment to not even get 1,000 yards for $10 million.

I also wasn't clamoring to say he was worth it, the way you're trying and failing to say that Cobb was.
I don't know why people assume things. I don't know if Cobb is worth it I'm trying to figure it out.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Bob McGinn's writeups of Cobb the last three seasons:

Randall Cobb (43.3%): Cobb does some good things every season. Without his nine-catch, 142-yard explosion in the opener, the Packers don’t beat the Bears in what turned out to be their biggest victory of the year. Strutting about in trademark fashion with his chest stuck out, he looks ready to conquer the world every Sunday. Alas, he has been in street clothes for too many of those Sundays in recent seasons. There’s always something wrong. Knee surgery in June limited Cobb to seven snaps in exhibition games. Then he missed Games 4-6 with a hamstring, Games 9-11 with another hamstring and Game 15 with a concussion. He still has some short-area quickness from the slot, posting a YAC average of 5.34. Still, that was just the fifth-best average of his eight-year career. As far as separating deep, forget that. Cobb also dropped too many (six of 60); it wasn’t his horrendous catching season of 2015 (14 of 138), but it also was a far cry from 2016 (two of 105). Cobb isn’t old (he’ll be 29 in August); he’s just beat up. If Matt LaFleur insists that he needs Cobb and can convince the bean counters, he’ll be back. Grade: C-minus.

RANDALL COBB (70.9%):
Made it through an injury-free August and missed just one game (chest) due to injury. Not as dynamic in his seventh season as he once was. Certified tough guy has absorbed heavy punishment over the years. No longer lightning-quick off the line, doesn’t separate as well at the break point and seldom runs away from tacklers in the open field. Still, he didn’t drop a pass until Game 14. Since dropping a record 14 in 2015 he has just six drops in 195 targets the past two years. He led the team in average gain after the catch at 5.5, his best since 2014 and indicative of a player with some juice remaining in his legs. Lined up 39 times in the backfield, including four from “wildcat” formation. He’s worthy of playing time in 2018 but at less than 50% of the $8.6 million base salary in the final year of his contract. Grade: C-plus.

RANDALL COBB: Has taken a lot of shots as a receiver-runner-returner in six seasons and might be starting to break down. Missed three games, buffeted by an assortment of injuries for the second straight season. Operates much better in the slot than outside. Lacks proper catching radius and size for the perimeter. Isn’t asked to run many routes but, with his quickness, still can be a mismatch for some nickel backs. Last year, he dropped more passes (14) than any Packers receiver in the last 25 years; he also had nine in 2014. Allayed fears his hands were suspect with only two drops in 105 targets (team-best drop rate of 1.9%). Also led the club in average yards after the catch (5.05). Played 46 snaps as a RB but took a pounding and didn’t appear there in last six games. Grade: C-plus.

Last edited:

EMMITTnROY

Reaction score
Cobb would be a slight upgrade to Beasley and without the diva attitude or dumb Tweets.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
So, if he really signs:

Cooper
Gallup
Hurns
Cobb
Austin
Noah Brown?

Looks like set for 5 roster spots, unless injury.

Carson

Reaction score
So, if he really signs:

Cooper
Gallup
Hurns
Cobb
Austin
Noah Brown?

Looks like set for 5 roster spots, unless injury.

I believe Hurns would go and Wilson would make the 53 or go to the practice squad

HeavyBarrel

Reaction score
Anecdotal but add Cobb to the list of players that I’m told is “too old” or “no longer productive” that plays well every time I see them, granted that was in previous seasons

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Some people get their feelings hurt too easy LOL
I don't see Rogers whining about him leaving and its his best bud... I say no...
Aaron Rodgers cries about absolutely everything. Make no mistake about that

Status
Not open for further replies.