Cody Alexander on Joey Porter Unlocking the Defense

Think about it like this.

If you can’t build from the front 7 out, this is the best alternative.

Sure, they should have just ponied up the money and brought in a guy like Hendrickson instead of listening to Parker’s crap about manufacturing a pass rush, but this is where Dallas is at.

Have to make the best of it and I feel like they have here.

Also, watch JP’s (I’m not calling him Junior until I see that his middle name is the same as his dad’s. Just sharing the same first and last name doesn’t automatically make you a Junior /rant) tape. Most of his stand out plays. Over half. Have nothing to do with how much pressure the QB is facing.
I keep asking everyone for players who are on the block to trade for in front 7.

Noone knows. Im sure there may be middle of road types available for the right price, but not needle movers at leat right now.

Now if say a Hunter or Azeez come available after Titans game then im all in.
 
That is very interesting -- most of the analysts said that Porter wouldn't fit in our system because it is zone heavy. However, having one side of the field covered in man while the rest of the field is in zone is going to reduce the area you have to deal with in zone -- that seems like it is going to make for fewer holes in the zone.
You nailed it.

What Cody talks about is that JPJ will often play the short side of the field and let extra “nickel back” focus on the wide side. That short side is the “boundary side” such is that “boundary corner” people have been talking about. That guy, your CB1, is basically on an island against whoever is lined up there.

Another tactic, and Bob talked about this, is a Belichick strategy of putting your CB1 on the offenses WR2. They put him one on one, wherever they lined up, short or wide. Then you are always able to send a safety to double the opponents WR1.

Offenses know this so they will flip their WR1 and WR2 to see if the CB1 follows the WR2. They’ll also use motion to trick it up and sometimes “stack” the offense, putting WR1 and WR2 on the same side

The one take away I had from this video answered, for me, the concern that many of us shared, that having someone with JPJs size and physicality in a Parker “zone defense”, was really a narrow understanding of how the defense works best. The defense actually needs a CB who excels at man coverage to allow the rest of the defense to play zone.

I didn’t really get that before
 
You nailed it.

What Cody talks about is that JPJ will often play the short side of the field and let extra “nickel back” focus on the wide side. That short side is the “boundary side” such is that “boundary corner” people have been talking about. That guy, your CB1, is basically on an island against whoever is lined up there.

Another tactic, and Bob talked about this, is a Belichick strategy of putting your CB1 on the offenses WR2. They put him one on one, wherever they lined up, short or wide. Then you are always able to send a safety to double the opponents WR1.

Offenses know this so they will flip their WR1 and WR2 to see if the CB1 follows the WR2. They’ll also use motion to trick it up and sometimes “stack” the offense, putting WR1 and WR2 on the same side

The one take away I had from this video answered, for me, the concern that many of us shared, that having someone with JPJs size and physicality in a Parker “zone defense”, was really a narrow understanding of how the defense works best. The defense actually needs a CB who excels at man coverage to allow the rest of the defense to play zone.

I didn’t really get that before
Me neither. You and thunderpimp are probably 1a and 1B as posters on this site when it comes to this stuff.

Basically you guys are CD and George Pickens. Pick you poison.
 
I'm not going to pretend to be any kind of defensive expert, but is CP using a few players in roles that aren't what they're best at? Like, does Caleb Downs need to be more used as a true safety? I've seen some of you say Overshown is being played out of position. I am genuinely asking the people who are way more knowledgeable than me (which is most.of you).
Caleb is filing the most important role on the defense. His hybrid DB role is the engine that makes the entire thing work.

The defense relies on him being the critical “disguise” player on the field. In the two high shell, he can line up presnap in the same spot every down and then move to run support, slot receiver coverage or double another WR.

Don’t worry about people saying he should “line up at safety” or should “not be in the slot”. If you want that, you can get them in a later round like Jalen Thompson. Teams drafting a blue chip safety like Downs are drafting him to be a hybrid DBou

You’re right that Overshown was being asked to play out of position and that’s because we didn’t have a veteran MLB.

Barham practiced there in preseason, and was one of the players who had the green dot, but they expected to bring him on more slowly. Now, due to Overshowns injury, Barham’s snaps and his timeline accelerated. So far so good!
 
Caleb is filing the most important role on the defense. His hybrid DB role is the engine that makes the entire thing work.

The defense relies on him being the critical “disguise” player on the field. In the two high shell, he can line up presnap in the same spot every down and then move to run support, slot receiver coverage or double another WR.

Don’t worry about people saying he should “line up at safety” or should “not be in the slot”. If you want that, you can get them in a later round like Jalen Thompson. Teams drafting a blue chip safety like Downs are drafting him to be a hybrid DBou

You’re right that Overshown was being asked to play out of position and that’s because we didn’t have a veteran MLB.

Barham practiced there in preseason, and was one of the players who had the green dot, but they expected to bring him on more slowly. Now, due to Overshowns injury, Barham’s snaps and his timeline accelerated. So far so good!
Just picture we pick up Cole LB Jelani McDonald S and Clev Lupkin edge in draft. This is my dream draft
 
Me neither. You and thunderpimp are probably 1a and 1B as posters on this site when it comes to this stuff.

Basically you guys are CD and George Pickens. Pick you poison.
Thanks but I wouldn't claim that for myself. I do follow Thunderpimp here though.

I just consume a lot of football stuff and am always looking to learn from the actual experts. I don’t waste time on the click bait or hot take content creators.

I’m often wrong but when it’s pointed out I try to figure out why and that’s half the fun.

When Porter rumors started a few weeks ago I was leery for the same reasons as everyone else and said so.
 
Thanks but I wouldn't claim that for myself. I do follow Thunderpimp here though.

I just consume a lot of football stuff and am always looking to learn from the actual experts. I don’t waste time on the click bait or hot take content creators.

I’m often wrong but when it’s pointed out I try to figure out why and that’s half the fun.

When Porter rumors started a few weeks ago I was leery for the same reasons as everyone else and said so.
I’d trade you for 100 risenstars.
 
Think about it like this.

If you can’t build from the front 7 out, this is the best alternative.

Sure, they should have just ponied up the money and brought in a guy like Hendrickson instead of listening to Parker’s crap about manufacturing a pass rush, but this is where Dallas is at.

Have to make the best of it and I feel like they have here.

Also, watch JP’s (I’m not calling him Junior until I see that his middle name is the same as his dad’s. Just sharing the same first and last name doesn’t automatically make you a Junior /rant) tape. Most of his stand out plays. Over half. Have nothing to do with how much pressure the QB is facing.
Here you go

His actual name, the one on his birth certificate, is Joseph Eugene Porter Jr.

His father’s name is Joseph Eugene Porter.

He picked up the JPJ abbreviation at Penn State but apparently the family and close friends call him “JJ”, the second J being Jr

Also, I saw on a Steelers forum that the reason he didn’t have a Jr on his jersey was the Steelers don’t allow any suffixes

I read somewhere that he will have the Jr on his Cowboy jersey but I haven’t seen it myself.
 
Think about it like this.

If you can’t build from the front 7 out, this is the best alternative.

Sure, they should have just ponied up the money and brought in a guy like Hendrickson instead of listening to Parker’s crap about manufacturing a pass rush, but this is where Dallas is at.

Have to make the best of it and I feel like they have here.

Also, watch JP’s (I’m not calling him Junior until I see that his middle name is the same as his dad’s. Just sharing the same first and last name doesn’t automatically make you a Junior /rant) tape. Most of his stand out plays. Over half. Have nothing to do with how much pressure the QB is facing.
Dont agree at all
You dont change philosophies
The front 7 is the staple of the defense
Every single great defense in NFL history was built on front 7 stopping the run and pressing the QB
Going against NFL history is not a good choice
 

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
476,063
Messages
14,660,368
Members
24,226
Latest member
Dorsett99Yards
Back
Top