Cold Pizza: Branch Has Stress Fractures in Leg

burmafrd

Reaction score
If he tried to hide this that works against him. I just do not really believe it. The way things leak anymore there is no way it stays this well hidden this long.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
burmafrd;1461661 said:
If he tried to hide this that works against him. I just do not really believe it. The way things leak anymore there is no way it stays this well hidden this long.

If your an NFL team and you know that the kid has stress fractures, why would you tell anybody? Better to shut up and see if he somehow slips. Why would you make sure that everybody new the stress fractures are hampering him?

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;1461673 said:
If your an NFL team and you know that the kid has stress fractures, why would you tell anybody? Better to shut up and see if he somehow slips. Why would you make sure that everybody new the stress fractures are hampering him?

To me it's like yeah I smoked Pot.

Not something I would share.

And I have absolutely nothing against pot.;)

burmafrd

Reaction score
My point is that too many people would know about this for it to keep quiet this long. The more people know something the sooner it gets out. If this is known by say 10 teams; that means 4 people(at least) on each team knows (doctor, scouts, coaches, GM); that is at least 40 people there. And probably more then 10 teams know. They will talk to close friends- that always happens- and the circle grows wider. Sooner or later someone tips off a reporter. If this was known at the combine that is 2 months ago. And then we are not even talking about the people AT the combine. Just way too many people knowing for it to stay secret THIS long.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
burmafrd;1461819 said:
My point is that too many people would know about this for it to keep quiet this long. The more people know something the sooner it gets out. If this is known by say 10 teams; that means 4 people(at least) on each team knows (doctor, scouts, coaches, GM); that is at least 40 people there. And probably more then 10 teams know. They will talk to close friends- that always happens- and the circle grows wider. Sooner or later someone tips off a reporter. If this was known at the combine that is 2 months ago. And then we are not even talking about the people AT the combine. Just way too many people knowing for it to stay secret THIS long.

It isn't much different from Rodrique Wright last year.

It was revealed he had a torn rotator cuff and slipped in a big way.

Secrets can be kept.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
POSTED 9:37 p.m. EDT, April 19, 2007

EVIDENCE DOESN'T SUPPORT RUMORS OF BRANCH BROKEN LEGS

Multiple readers have advised us that Dan Pompei of The Sporting News said on ESPN's Cold Pizza that Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch has stress fractures in his legs.

As we've heard it, the rumor is that there is a stress fracture in each of his tibias.

But a source close to the situation has raised with us several pieces of evidence that tend to contradict the existence of the injuries.

"There was no combine re-check," said the source, in reference to the annual medical follow-up, in which players with injury problems return to Indy for another look-see.

Also, multiple teams (we're told) have listed Branch as medically fine. He has "shin splints maybe," said the source. "Virtually every big lineman has them. He never missed any time at Michigan and played in over 85 percent of the defensive plays."

Regardless, there's a perception that Branch is falling. Still, it only takes one team to stop a slide -- or to keep it from ever happening.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1461890 said:

Multiple readers have advised us that Dan Pompei of The Sporting News said on ESPN's Cold Pizza that Michigan defensive tackle Alan Branch has stress fractures in his legs.

As we've heard it, the rumor is that there is a stress fracture in each of his tibias.

But a source close to the situation has raised with us several pieces of evidence that tend to contradict the existence of the injuries.

"There was no combine re-check," said the source, in reference to the annual medical follow-up, in which players with injury problems return to Indy for another look-see.

Also, multiple teams (we're told) have listed Branch as medically fine. He has "shin splints maybe," said the source. "Virtually every big lineman has them. He never missed any time at Michigan and played in over 85 percent of the defensive plays."

Regardless, there's a perception that Branch is falling. Still, it only takes one team to stop a slide -- or to keep it from ever happening.

Shin splints are stress fractures. It's good to know that teams don't take that seriously. It's either a diagnosis make presumptively or he's had special testing. It's not a big deal. If he has them he just needs to stop impacting his legs for awhile. He can do anything else he wants. It's a non-issue.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;1461890 said:

Well, if it happened after the Combine, there wouldn't be a "combine re-check."

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1461236 said:
With the idea that this rumor could be true...

Well it is getting out now.

I wish I remember if it was Rod Wright or maybe another player a few years back but nobody could figure out why this guy was falling. Not the fans, not the guys paid to know the stuff on ESPN or other outlets. But the guy kept falling.

Than a day or two after the draft it came out the reason he had fallen...do not even remember the reason now.

Oh man my memory is shot to today. I need a nap.:laugh2:

Rod Wright. Torn Rotator Cuff.

Pottsville Maroons

Reaction score
doomsday81;1461448 said:
If Branch gets drafted in the sixth round, I'll give you my house. You're comparing Branch to Wright? You must be joking. Wright couldn't carry his jock. My God, how long until the draft starts?

Did you bother to read my other posts? I used Wright as a comparison since he was at one time projected as a first round prospect and fell to the 7th round, as it turns out, due to medical (rotator cuff) and work ethic concerns. I was merely saying that, if the same scenario happened with Branch, that I'd pick him in a heartbeat.

I LATER said that I don't see him falling that far, probably not out of the first day.

Can we agree that Wright and Branch are both DTs that were/are projected to go in Rd 1 that did/may drop out of that round for medical and work ethic concerns?

So, yeah, I AM comparing Branch to Wright. It's a very simple comparison, one that I think is valid, to a degree. I'm not saying Branch will drop as far. I have no way of knowing that. I don't think he will. I do think that, had you read my subsequent posts on the subject, a retraction or amendment would be in order.

Besides, I don't need your house, I'm building my own. :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Scott Wright on Branch:

It is well known that Branch has shin splints and he has for a while now so that is the only problem that I know of. I will definitely check into it further now but this is probably being put out there by a team hoping that Branch will fall to them.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
theogt;1462067 said:
Scott Wright on Branch:

Thank you theogt. This is the kind of thing I was talking about regarding Nelson's supposed lack of intelligence. These people do this kind of nonsense without regard to the players who lose a lot of money if they fall.

burmafrd

Reaction score
The part about Nelson originated from his COLLEGE coaches. They were the ones telling pro scouts they had to keep to simple packages because Nelson could not handle complicated.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
POSTED 1:00 p.m. EDT, April 20, 2007

POMPEI'S BRANCH REPORT IS RIGHT?

A league source tells us that Dan Pompei's recent report regarding the presence of stress fractures in the lower legs of defensive tackle Alan Branch is on the money.

"Pompei is right," said the source. "There is no doubt he is right. I don't know where he got his info but he is dead right. That's all I can say."

A source with knowledge of Branch's condition disputed Pompei's report on Thursday, calling the problem shin splints, at worst.

The problem, as we understand it, is that different doctors view the medical evidence differently. In this case, there's an issue as to whether there's a "black line" in an MRI of Branch's legs and, if so, whether it is proof of a stress fracture.

Some teams/doctors believe it does. Others don't.

joseephuss

Reaction score
theogt;1462586 said:
POSTED 1:00 p.m. EDT, April 20, 2007

POMPEI'S BRANCH REPORT IS RIGHT?

A league source tells us that Dan Pompei's recent report regarding the presence of stress fractures in the lower legs of defensive tackle Alan Branch is on the money.

"Pompei is right," said the source. "There is no doubt he is right. I don't know where he got his info but he is dead right. That's all I can say."

A source with knowledge of Branch's condition disputed Pompei's report on Thursday, calling the problem shin splints, at worst.

The problem, as we understand it, is that different doctors view the medical evidence differently. In this case, there's an issue as to whether there's a "black line" in an MRI of Branch's legs and, if so, whether it is proof of a stress fracture.

Some teams/doctors believe it does. Others don't.

Whatever it is, it was important enough to get an MRI performed. They just don't hand out MRI's out at the combine or pro days. You just have to have a good medical staff on board to make the right call. Hopefully Dallas has a good medical staff. Unlike the one that dismissed Aikman's early back problems and Jimmy Smith's appendix in the early 90s.