Cole Beasley

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He was absolutely a solid player for us but I don't think he is irreplaceable, especially at the price Buffalo paid him. I'm not hating on the guy either, good player, but I think we can find somebody to fulfill his role.

MCMetal69

Reaction score
He was good at his specific role , but he ain't no game changer , especially at $7.2 million per year..........

GMO415

Reaction score
The dude was money when the offense had all it's pieces. When Witt was gone, people took away Beaae before Coop arrived and he wasn't shhhhh.

glimmerman

Reaction score
The dude was money when the offense had all it's pieces. When Witt was gone, people took away Beaae before Coop arrived and he wasn't shhhhh.
I agree which is why I was hoping he would keep his mouth shut on social media and JJ would have matched the offer. It seemed like they made him a offer early on and he didn’t like it. He made some good plays for us. And with having Witten and Cooper and Gallup for the whole year I think Beez would have ate it up all year.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
“So to recap, Beasley has had one decent season in 2015, one really good one in 2016 and four average-to-below average campaigns. Yet he is off limits for criticism, which makes him overrated”
I liked Cole Beasley for what he was- a good but not great slot receiver. His entire career he averages 3 catches for 31 yards. That’s not going to be very hard to replace.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Without size or elite deep speed he was not a threat past the 10 yard line. When he did have success past 10 yards it was due to catching defenders by surprise because they knew he was rarely targeted at that distance.
The cutoff point is actually at 19 yards. Beasley had more catches in the 10-19 yard range than any other player.

Catches in 10-19 yard range (as a % of total targets)
17% Beasley 16 of 92
16% Gallup 13 of 81
15% Cooper 13 of 89

Same catches
15-19 / 10-14 yard range
Beasley 3 / 13
Cooper 1 / 12
Gallup 3 / 10

Beasley's catch rate on these intermediate throws will be hard to replace.
Beasley 84% (19 tgt 16 rec)
Cooper 65% (20 tgt 13 rec)
others 50% (76 tgt 38 rec)

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Dallas will miss this chain mover.........unless Kellen has someone else in mind. Don't trust Austin's health. I hope this doesn't put more on Elliots plate.

The Beez miss any games?

Apologise for beating a dead horse.......I can't seem to get past this loss.

Dude was money.

Don't worry, fans say that Austin or Hurns will slide in there and be even better! I mean, even though Austin has injury concerns, and all Hurns has done is break his leg...but, hey, we like our guys!

Flamma

Reaction score
Dallas will miss this chain mover.........unless Kellen has someone else in mind. Don't trust Austin's health. I hope this doesn't put more on Elliots plate.

The Beez miss any games?

Dude was money.

We're not replacing him. But something has to give somewhere. I hope this means they are signing Tank. Because if they aren't, they should have signed Beasley.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

The Beez miss any games?

Dude was money.
The chain mover isn't on the roster yet,, weapons forthcoming,, cheaper weapons.
Patience is a virtue.

blueblood70

Reaction score
noones disrespecting ColeB by saying he can easily be replaced, its true, he was our 3rd-4th target, period..I liked him and sorry to see him leave but it will not be tough to get his production replaced..

first off our top 2 WR will be better for 16 games this coming season having Gallup better and Amari in a full off season.. Witten and the TEs will replace the short yardage stuff, they were being used more late and will make up for the targets we lose in Bease.. we also have Austin, Brown, and Cedric coming back..

seriously I agree the people happy Dez loss and said he be easy to replace was wrong, WR by committee failed and thats on Cole as well, right I mean before Amari the boys were struggling..

we will be fine without Cole..he got more money and left..buh bye

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
Don't worry, fans say that Austin or Hurns will slide in there and be even better! I mean, even though Austin has injury concerns, and all Hurns has done is break his leg...but, hey, we like our guys!

Yet you conventielty overlook the fact Beasley missed more games his rookie year than Austin did his first five seasons in the league.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cutoff point is actually at 19 yards. Beasley had more catches in the 10-19 yard range than any other player.

Catches in 10-19 yard range (as a % of total targets)
17% Beasley 16 of 92
16% Gallup 13 of 81
15% Cooper 13 of 89

Same catches
15-19 / 10-14 yard range
Beasley 3 / 13
Cooper 1 / 12
Gallup 3 / 10

Beasley's catch rate on these intermediate throws will be hard to replace.
Beasley 84% (19 tgt 16 rec)
Cooper 65% (20 tgt 13 rec)
others 50% (76 tgt 38 rec)

Air yards or total yards?

Verdict

Reaction score
Cole was awesome. I’m still excited about the prospect of a third WR who will let us move players inside. As good as Bease was in single coverage, he couldn’t really play outside.

Beasley was a catch22 type of player. He had great separation ability, but he still only caught 3 passes per game. Maybe we should have targeted him more.

On the other hand you can't just look at the player. You have to also look and see how that player helps or hinders other players around him.

Cole lacked top end speed and his YAC didn't seem to scare defenses, which enable defenses to play him predictably. That made it harder on the players around him.

The combination of Cole Beasley and Witten was bad for the Cowboys because it enabled defenses to double whoever the threat receiver is at the time.

We will miss him being clutch, but we won't miss his pedestrian production.

Verdict

Reaction score
Beasley was great in his niche role and had some really clutch plays.

On the flip side he was limited which further limited the offense. He didn't gave elite deep speed like some small WRs.

Without size or elite deep speed he was not a threat past the 10 yard line. When he did have success past 10 yards it was due to catching defenders by surprise because they knew he was rarely targeted at that distance.

That's correct. You can't just look at the stat. You have to also look at the situation.

BigCatMonaco

Reaction score
3278 scrimmage yards since 2012
23 TDs

Vs
3122 scrimmage yards since 2013
23 TDS

Looks to me like he has the capability to replace what Cole did. And he’s an actual threat on special teams.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Curious to see what kind of numbers he puts up with that Buffalo quarterback who can't hit the broad side of barn. Dak has accuracy issues but that dude takes it to another level.

fredp22

Reaction score
Cole was/is a good slot receiver. He tried to step it up last year when we were desolate in receivers and couldnt do it but he acted as if he did trying to get us to pay top receiver money. If we was willing to get paid what a good slot gets he would still be here. Bills overpaid

ksadler1

Reaction score
Yes, his games of 13, 8, 16, 5, 9, 18, 28 and 15 were so irreplaceable.

He had two games where he made a big impact.
Giants week 17. Best game of his year.

And vs the jags he had 100/2 tds. But we blew them out 40-7.

That’s 30% of his production yardage wise and all of his scoring in two games.

People are acting more upset that we lost him than they did when we lost dez. They don’t even compare.

Beasley was open alot more than he got the ball. Whether you want to admit it or not, he was clutch and usually made it to the first down marker even when catching the ball short. I had alot more confidence in him that l have in "2 yards short Witten". And I'm a Witten fan too...