News: Cole: Cowboys trade for Cassel

IrishAnto

Reaction score
That was in the first season, after injury with Belicheck as Head coach. How was RGIIIs rookie year? Defensive Coordinators begin to get a beat on these guys, Romo had some struggles too, but he continued to improve and understand how to overcome + an innate ability to improvise and make snap decisions. These guys have been marked and really seem content with that tag (an assumption, but there hasnt been a positive sloping trajectory).

I would have just rolled with Kellen Moore, Showers or at least a QB with some mobility and that may develop.

He also went 10-5 in KC in 2010.

Tell me how many games Kellen Moore and Showers have played???

We're trying to win now, not 3-4 years down the line.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Oh, in 2008! Oh gosh, because I thought this was 2015.

Let's forget about every year outside of 2010 where he looked absolutely awful. Again, he's no better than what's on the market right now.

Ummmm no offense but you could absolutely say the exact same thing about Weeden. And people are rallying around him.

The Cassel thing...ehhh..I'm not a fan of the guy but he has proven to be able to win at this level on a couple of different occasions. So if nothing else he's insurance in case Weeden just can't do anything at all.

I certainly like Cassel better than Moore if it came down to that. We will see how it plays out.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Ummmm no offense but you could absolutely say the exact same thing about Weeden. And people are rallying around him.

The Cassel thing...ehhh..I'm not a fan of the guy but he has proven to be able to win at this level on a couple of different occasions. So if nothing else he's insurance in case Weeden just can't do anything at all.

I certainly like Cassel better than Moore if it came down to that. We will see how it plays out.

I haven't rallied around Weeden. I have no faith in Weeden and expect to see the same Weeden we saw against the Cardinals.

Ken

Reaction score
He also went 10-5 in KC in 2010.

Tell me how many games Kellen Moore and Showers have played???

We're trying to win now, not 3-4 years down the line.

And the thing that is most heartening about that was he had Jamal Charles and Bowe and that was it. And Bowe had 15 tds that year and never came close to that type of production ever again.

I really think Cassel is an amazing get...

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fun fact:

Over the past three seasons (2013-2015), despite starting only nine games, Matt Cassel has three games in which he has attempted at least 25 passes and posted a passer rating of 113.7 or higher. Sam Bradford has one ... in his entire career (51 starts).

Impossible. The CowboysZone self proclaimed experts said he sucks. I've read that many times in this thread alone.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Fun fact:

Over the past three seasons (2013-2015), despite starting only nine games, Matt Cassel has three games in which he has attempted at least 25 passes and posted a passer rating of 113.7 or higher. Sam Bradford has one ... in his entire career (51 starts).

So... Would you take a chance with weeden 2-3 games

Or

Would you throw Cassel in there from jump street?

I'd be tempted to do the latter.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Or

Weeden knows the offense, Cassel does not. I think for that reason alone, you need to try your luck with Weeden first and get Cassel acclimated as quickly as possible if Weeden doesn't work out.

Aven8

Reaction score

Or

I just want them to not be afraid to put Cassel in, in game, if Weeds isn't getting it done. Don't be stubborn and wait for the next game.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I just want them to not be afraid to put Cassel in, in game, if Weeds isn't getting it done. Don't be stubborn and wait for the next game.

Yes. Agreed.
McFadden too.

Weeden knows the offense, Cassel does not. I think for that reason alone, you need to try your luck with Weeden first and get Cassel acclimated as quickly as possible if Weeden doesn't work out.

Yes. That is logical. I just don't know if I can tie weeden with logical.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Trust in the process. We got a QB and maybe the plan is to get someone back there to get us through these next 8 weeks who won't make big mistakes. Experience over inexperience is the theme here. It is nice to have one of our ps qb in there but that will cost us the season. This is the same reasoning as hiring Kitna from retirement for 1 game back when. Veteran experience is highly regarded and valuable. Especially for a win now team likeep ours.

Aven8

Reaction score

But didn't Cassel play for Norv last season? Same if not similar concepts etc.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't understand this move

If Weeden were to get injured or struggles the Cowboys need an experienced QB that gives them a chance to stay alive until Romo returns. They obviously liked Cassel better than the QB's they could have gotten off the street he's won a lot more games (32) than Weeden or any QB that was available. Every season is precious and with the Cowboys off to a 2-0 start they still have a great chance to make a strong Dec run and be a factor in the playoffs if they can hang in until Romo returns.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

Similar != Same

One guys playbook (and terminology) isn't another guys playbook. Besides, Cassel hasn't ever thrown a single pass to our guys. They really need to work and get on the same page before you throw them to the wolves in a real game.

silver

Reaction score

Turner learned form Zampeze who learned from Coryell, who learned from Sid Gillman who received his football wisdom directly from the heavens.
Linehan learned it from Mike Tice, who learned from Dennis Green, who learned from Bill Walsh, who learned from Sid Gillman who received his football wisdom directly from the heavens.

It's all the same. It comes from up above.

Gillman_Coaching_Tree.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Come on...we already gave a pick away for a dude we don't dress and dropped back a round for butler

This dude will dress and he's won 27 more games than the guy we'll have starting. He provides good insurance if Weeden were to get hurt or struggle. We're not sure what we may get with Weeden he has a grand total of 5 NFL wins and laid an egg last season in his only start. The Cowboys could have ended up with a 4th straight 8-8 season had Romo missed extended time and Weeden and Vaughan were our only backup options last season. Cassel was worth a low round pick he may end up paying big dividends at some point this season. He proved in NE with some talent around him he can play well. He's won games with 3 different teams.