News: Cole: Cowboys trade for Cassel

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This says a lot about their trust in Weeden and Moore.

Not really. The Cowboys wanted to back Weeden up with an experienced QB who has started a ton of games and has had some success. That makes a lot of sense if you ask me.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
This is exciting:

fetalcassel_medium.gif

casselfail.gif

FZDZJZ0.gif

Love the look..lol:

13-14-MIN-Cassel-Movember.jpg

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
Showers or Moore over a proven veteran bus driver in Cassel? Really? I have story that serves as an analogy for exactly what you are suggesting:

In my Senior year of highschool our highly ranked six-man football team was taking Strawn to the cleaners in the the State Quarterfinal game up until right at the end of the first half, when our Sr. starting QB goes down. The next man on the depth chart was our freshman qb, who though physically gifted as he was, clearly was not ready to perform at the level he was being asked to perform at, and effectively brings our offensive playmaking ability to a grinding halt. We lose the game. Moore and Showers are the freshmen QB on this Cowboys rosters, you don't enter one into the starting line up of a highschool football team with potential to win a state championship if you can help it; you especially don't do it with an NFL team that is projected to reach the Superbowl. This is asinine, the Cowboys front office made a smart move in finding a decent quality QB to help tread water for a few weeks if need be until Romo returns. Showers or Moore would more than likely ensure losses because they are so green.

Lets back up a minute. If Weeden goes down, you are on your 3rd string QB. How many 3rd string QBs have even won multiple games? I am assuming that the winning % is microscopic. If that bears out, why would you pay $2M to field someone who wont be on the team the next year

TheDude

McLovin
Reaction score
may come as a surprise to some, but i completely disagree. 90% of the time we hear how the final rounds were wasted. usually this is by people who have a final hope a "pet cat" will be called and they can dance for joy in the final stages of what is now a pure show albeit boring as hell draft.

there are qb's who do well when coming in for the 1st stringer and we've seen a LOT of them. unfortunately it's usually against us - so hey, maybe this is payback time. but to say going out and getting experience is a waste of a pick i would totally have to disagree. if weeden should do down, there is NO ONE around on our roster today who could at least find the keys to the bus, much less drive it. at least we have that in cassel and in a season we're i think a vast majority of us were hoping for a great year, i'm not ready to throw it away just yet.

not by any measure at all, no.

so we've got a new wr. so we've got a new backup qb. so we made more moves lately than a standard chess tournament.

but we're still 2-0 and this division sucks fermented donkey eggs. we can still take this even with the hardships we've hit lately.

so take that pick and swap 'em around and give us one of the better options out there. sure some will do their darth NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO impersonation but ya know what? show me ANY move where someone DIDN'T have to darth is up. we simply weren't going to find another starting QB sitting out there just waiting for us to give him a call (hell, even a "her" these days, right?) and wa-la problem solved. so our choices were:

1) stand pat and bring up showers or moore.
2) do what we did
3) trade for brees or something. uh huh huh huh huh...get it... i got showers and brees in the same paragraph. i rule.

but seriously. we simply had to bring in the best we could with what we had on the table and in my mind that's what we did. i'm sure some will disagree but that's why we're here - talk about it.

and i'm not ready to throw the season away just yet, so get rid of those lower round picks. we are likely to get comp picks we can't do anything with anyway or hell, with the depth we're building, we'll get it back if necessary.

First, We really arent talking about a true backup, we are talking about a 3rd string QB, Rookie or vet, I cant recall a 3rd stringer winning mulitple games. Garrett won a Tx game and Batch won something for Pitt. But the odds are a 3rd stringer just isnt going to be up to speed to be effective

Additionally, Late round picks may have some longshot, but there have been hits in rd 5 and later - Scandrick, Ratliff, Crayton,, Lissemore, Hanna, Randle, Street, Swaim, Russell. then there are Alan Ball, Josh Thomas Walden, T Mitchell who are still in the league. The value here is that you have some depth on 4 year cheap rookie contracts.

All that said, Im not assured the outcome from being forced to play Kellen Moore vs Cassel is yielding any different results. Cassel also is a rent a QB.

Also, I dont think the addition of comp picks make regular picks less valuable. You get comp picks becasue you lost talent and you are given quantity to increase your chance of replacing the lost talent.

Overall, its nothing to lose a ton of sleep over, but if we get to Cassel, it really is scant amount to arranging deck chairs on the titanic

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Turner learned form Zampeze who learned from Coryell, who learned from Sid Gillman who received his football wisdom directly from the heavens.
Linehan learned it from Mike Tice, who learned from Dennis Green, who learned from Bill Walsh, who learned from Sid Gillman who received his football wisdom directly from the heavens.

It's all the same. It comes from up above.

Gillman_Coaching_Tree.gif

A lot of the concepts are the same. Where he can help is in the film room. In think he might be a little smarter than Weeden and help there, even if he doesn't see the field.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
First, We really arent talking about a true backup, we are talking about a 3rd string QB, Rookie or vet, I cant recall a 3rd stringer winning mulitple games. Garrett won a Tx game and Batch won something for Pitt. But the odds are a 3rd stringer just isnt going to be up to speed to be effective

Additionally, Late round picks may have some longshot, but there have been hits in rd 5 and later - Scandrick, Ratliff, Crayton,, Lissemore, Hanna, Randle, Street, Swaim, Russell. then there are Alan Ball, Josh Thomas Walden, T Mitchell who are still in the league. The value here is that you have some depth on 4 year cheap rookie contracts.

All that said, Im not assured the outcome from being forced to play Kellen Moore vs Cassel is yielding any different results. Cassel also is a rent a QB.

Also, I dont think the addition of comp picks make regular picks less valuable. You get comp picks becasue you lost talent and you are given quantity to increase your chance of replacing the lost talent.

Overall, its nothing to lose a ton of sleep over, but if we get to Cassel, it really is scant amount to arranging deck chairs on the titanic

can't argue the end result. but at least with cassel we get the time to rearrange them and maybe find a good pattern for a game or two he may be needed. i can't think of too many that at least give us that much. longshot? sure. but so are the late round picks. taunting one longshot over another is kinda pointless to me.

dfense

Reaction score
Driving home after work up here outside of Buffalo, all the talking heads are upset the Bills let Cassel get away. Now there's no veteran backup and they're dependent on their bust 1st round pick from 2 years ago.