News: Cole: Cowboys trade for Cassel

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
ive always thought he could be something. what he did in new england for an entire season was no fluke

Craig

Reaction score
Let him learn the playbook while weeden starts a week or two and if weeden cant cut it move one.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This makes sense, and says the team really does think it can still contend. Not sure what people were expecting to get on the QB scrap heap this time of year, but we did our diligence: brought in a couple free agents, didn't like what we saw, so we gave a trivial amount to get the guy we liked best out there. We could do worse than playing Cassel as our third option once he knows the system. The fact that he played in MIN under Turner in 2014 might have been a factor, if there's overlap between his system and Garrett/Linehan's at this point.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Are you for real? This guy nearly took the Pats to the playoffs in 2008 when Brady tore his ACL and took Kansas City to the postseason in 2010 I believe.

Cassell is as good as we could get right now.

yup. and then he got stuck on a crappy KC team with a horrible coaching staff.

loublue22

Reaction score
I trust the scouts, if they liked him over Flynn and Ponder then so be it. We're just trying to tread water here, no one we put out there is going 7-0, no one is replacing what Tony provides.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
New England plugged him in for Brady and made the playoffs.

I don't see why the Cowboys couldn't do the same, except for the fact he needs to learn the playbook and start working on timing with the receivers.

He better get here and get to work pronto..

xvendettax914

Reaction score
At this point I have no reason to not trust in what they have been doing. Also weeden did have a concussion, I'm sure they want someone who could relieve him and continue to keep this team competitive for when Tony is back.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Let him learn the playbook while weeden starts a week or two and if weeden cant cut it move one.

I want weeden to be better. I have big doubts.

Throw weeden out there STILL not knowing what he is doing?

Or

Throw Cassel out there and go through some "real time" growing pains?