Cole Kmet reminds me of a young Witten

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
My guess is he goes mid to late 2nd round, maybe early third. Would I use our 2 on him? Depends. A lot would have to depend on what we did in FA and with that first pick.

In other words, if we went WR in the first, I'd be hard pressed to go TE in the 2nd, even considering I tend to be a BPA guy.

This team’s draft philosophy is boggling at times. In 2018, one of the best TE drafts in recent history and a clear need we go OG in the 2nd round instead. Last year, it was one of the best safety classes of memory and we pass up an opportunity to draft a good one early.

Sydla

Reaction score
This team’s draft philosophy is boggling at times. In 2018, one of the best TE drafts in recent history and a clear need we go OG in the 2nd round instead. Last year, it was one of the best safety classes of memory and we pass up an opportunity to draft a good one early.

The Thornhill move will forever haunt us. And not necessarily because Thornhill will become some super stud, but rather, we took a kid that appears can't even play.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The Thornhill move will forever haunt us. And not necessarily because Thornhill will become some super stud, but rather, we took a kid that appears can't even play.

I really hope this team shocks me and we make a run at Justin Simmons (Broncos safety).

I generally agree with our basic approach of building your team through the draft but there are quality players to be had in free agency.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Kmet and Jared Pinkney,Vandy are my two favorite TEs right now.

timb2

Reaction score
Cole Kmet reminds me of a slow offensive tackle. I WILL VOMIT IF THEY PICK HIM!!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
to me TE is a key position on offense and is a critical safety valve for any QB

I want a difference maker at TE not an average starter

I dont care if it is FA or draft, we need a number 1 TE
Do you want a safety-valve or a difference maker?

A safety valve IS an average starter. Blake Jarwin is a difference maker already, when he's used.

visionary

Reaction score
Do you want a safety-valve or a difference maker?

A safety valve IS an average starter. Blake Jarwin is a difference maker already, when he's used.

My God, what an argument

Ertz is a “safety valve” for Wentz AND a difference maker
So are Kelce and Kittle and on and on

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
My God, what an argument

Ertz is a “safety valve” for Wentz AND a difference maker
So are Kelce and Kittle and on and on
Ertz isn't a difference maker.

Neither of those guys is a safety valve.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This seems like some real hair splitting here.
Not really. You can plug in almost any TE to be a safety valve, but defenses don't need to gameplan them and they don't dictate coverage. They're not difference makers.

Calling Kelce and Kittle safety valves is grossly understating their importance to the offense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not really. You can plug in almost any TE to be a safety valve, but defenses don't need to gameplan them and they don't dictate coverage. They're not difference makers.

Calling Kelce and Kittle safety valves is grossly understating their importance to the offense.

I don't think he was calling them "safety valves" in their entirety as if they are 35 year old Jason Wittens. I think he was saying that Kelce and Kittle act as safety blankets for their QBs but can still be difference makers from the TE spot. It's pretty clear what he's saying - TE is an important position in an offense and often acts as the security blanket for many QBs. visionary wants that security blanket for us to also be a difference making talent.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think he was calling them "safety valves" in their entirety as if they are 35 year old Jason Wittens. I think he was saying that Kelce and Kittle act as safety blankets for their QBs but can still be difference makers from the TE spot. It's pretty clear what he's saying - TE is an important position in an offense and often acts as the security blanket for many QBs. visionary wants that security blanket for us to also be a difference making talent.
It isn't important if it is a safety valve/security blanket or whatever.

The talent doesn't matter when a player is in that role.

Sydla

Reaction score
It isn't important if it is a safety valve/security blanket or whatever.

The talent doesn't matter when a player is in that role.

What?

He's saying the TE position is important for a QB and he wants a difference making talent there. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing it seems.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
What?

He's saying the TE position is important for a QB and he wants a difference making talent there. You are just arguing for the sake of arguing it seems.
And what I'm saying is that he's wrong because you don't need talent to be a security blanket. A security blanket is not a difference maker.

Dalton Schultz could go out, right now, and catch 70 balls as a security blanket.

visionary

Reaction score

Ertz doesn’t dictate coverage? That might one of the stupidest comments on CZ this year. When was the last time you watched the Eagles?

I’m betting if you ask Mahomes he will say Kelce is his safety valve

perhaps you need to go back to second grade and learn the meanings of these words, LOL

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ertz doesn’t dictate coverage? That might one of the stupidest comments on CZ this year. When was the last time you watched the Eagles?

I’m betting if you ask Mahomes he will say Kelce is his safety valve

perhaps you need to go back to second grade and learn the meanings of these words, LOL
No, he doesn't. Teams let him get his b/c he's not dynamic enough to matter - he catches all those balls b/c teams cover other guys. The passing game was garbage all year, and they drafted Goedert, because Ertz isn't good enough to do that on his own.

Maybe he is, but that's not how he functions in that offense, at all. They use him vertical way too often for that to be the case.

Please don't use the second grade nonsense, when you have the grammar of an ESL student. The issue is that you think a safety valve is an important part of an offense. Its not. That role exists when nothing else works. It doesn't have to be a good player, and it is never a role that dictates anything, so there is no sense in wasting talent on it.