Cole Kmet reminds me of a young Witten

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Kmet is a generation too late. He's in the mold of a TE that NFL teams are quickly losing interest in. When it was predominantly a running league, block first and catch if needed was the way to go. Now teams are starting to go with faster and more athletic TE's that can be an extra WR and play a bigger role in the passing game. Kmet is not that guy and I predict that he's going to fall like a rock in the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
No, he doesn't. Teams let him get his b/c he's not dynamic enough to matter - he catches all those balls b/c teams cover other guys. The passing game was garbage all year, and they drafted Goedert, because Ertz isn't good enough to do that on his own.

Maybe he is, but that's not how he functions in that offense, at all. They use him vertical way too often for that to be the case.

Please don't use the second grade nonsense, when you have the grammar of an ESL student. The issue is that you think a safety valve is an important part of an offense. Its not. That role exists when nothing else works. It doesn't have to be a good player, and it is never a role that dictates anything, so there is no sense in wasting talent on it.

When you say other guys, are you talking about other guys on the Eagles?

Sydla

Reaction score
Kmet is a generation too late. He's in the mold of a TE that NFL teams are quickly losing interest in. When it was predominantly a running league, block first and catch if needed was the way to go. Now teams are starting to go with faster and more athletic TE's that can be an extra WR and play a bigger role in the passing game. Kmet is not that guy and I predict that he's going to fall like a rock in the draft.

LOL.

He'll be gone no later than the 2nd round.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Why do people get this idea that Kmet's an old school in-line run blocker? Do they just see that he's 6'5 260, white, and plays for Notre Dame and go "yep! he's a blocker". No, watch the film, guys. I don't even understand the Witten comparison that kicked this whole thread off.

His weigh-in yesterday was huge though, if he measures well Thursday than I could see a first round selection being in the question. Teams are going to start getting Travis Kelce and Gronkowski vibes of a mega-sized slot TE and someone's going to pull the trigger early.

Last edited:

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
When you say other guys, are you talking about other guys on the Eagles?
Yes. Ertz won against man coverage or finding holes in zones. He never got a ton of attention from defenses.

It's the same as Witten. He could have 90 catches but defenses never cared, b/c he woudln't kill you.

visionary

Reaction score
No, he doesn't. Teams let him get his b/c he's not dynamic enough to matter - he catches all those balls b/c teams cover other guys. The passing game was garbage all year, and they drafted Goedert, because Ertz isn't good enough to do that on his own.

Maybe he is, but that's not how he functions in that offense, at all. They use him vertical way too often for that to be the case.

Please don't use the second grade nonsense, when you have the grammar of an ESL student. The issue is that you think a safety valve is an important part of an offense. Its not. That role exists when nothing else works. It doesn't have to be a good player, and it is never a role that dictates anything, so there is no sense in wasting talent on it.

you seem to know a lot about ESL students

look in the mirror and say ‘ignoramus’

try it

:laugh:

visionary

Reaction score
Yes. Ertz won against man coverage or finding holes in zones. He never got a ton of attention from defenses.

It's the same as Witten. He could have 90 catches but defenses never cared, b/c he woudln't kill you.

stop it
You’re making a fool of yourself

or, on second thought, please go ahead

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Watched three games of his.

He reminds me of 2016-2017; 2019 Witten more than anything else.

And this is a young kid. He should have some moments of explosion. He just doesn't.

If he didn't go to Notre Dame which has a rep as TE U, he wouldn't be getting nearly the pub he gets.

There is no way I take this player in a premium round. Just go watch the UGA game.

Sydla

Reaction score

This is kind of funny.

Are you seriously telling me that teams were more scared and covered the likes of Greg Ward, Nelson Agholor, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Robert Davis, Deontay Burnett and that's why Ertz was always open?

Desean Jackson didn't play all that much and Jeffrey only played in 10 games and was injured for many of them and wasn't all that good himself.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is kind of funny.

Are you seriously telling me that teams were more scared and covered the likes of Greg Ward, Nelson Agholor, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Robert Davis, Deontay Burnett and that's why Ertz was always open?

Desean Jackson didn't play all that much and Jeffrey only played in 10 games and was injured for many of them and wasn't all that good himself.
Ertz wasn't particularly good last year, so no. He wasn't even particularly good in 2018. Coincidentally, the Eagles offense was poor both years.

Ertz is a classic example of volume vs. effectiveness. He better have 1000 yards when they target him 150 times, but that doesn't make him some dynamic player. We've seen it for the last 5-6 years with Witten too. Teams will let them get 90 catches, b/c it slows the offense down and makes it less effective.

Sydla

Reaction score
Ertz wasn't particularly good last year, so no. He wasn't even particularly good in 2018. Coincidentally, the Eagles offense was poor both years.

Ertz is a classic example of volume vs. effectiveness. He better have 1000 yards when they target him 150 times, but that doesn't make him some dynamic player. We've seen it for the last 5-6 years with Witten too. Teams will let them get 90 catches, b/c it slows the offense down and makes it less effective.

Again, you argued that Ertz gets open because of the other receiving options on the Eagles. That's preposterous when you look at the WRs the Eagles ran out game after game, especially later in the year.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Again, you argued that Ertz gets open because of the other receiving options on the Eagles. That's preposterous when you look at the WRs the Eagles ran out game after game, especially later in the year.
He wasn't open this year.

Ertz isn't a special talent. He has decent size/speed, so he's a tough matchup when the rest of the weapons around him dictate coverage like they did in 2016-17. As a featured part of a passing attack, he's not good. That's exactly what happened this year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
FWIW, Kmet ran the slowest three-cone of all the TEs that tested (7.44). Comparatively, Trautman ran a 6.78.

Creeper

Reaction score
FWIW, Kmet ran the slowest three-cone of all the TEs that tested (7.44). Comparatively, Trautman ran a 6.78.

Someone was kind enough to post a chart showing the minimum combine drill test results by position. The minimum time for TEs in the 3 cone drill is 7.3 seconds. The minimum bench press is 22 reps. Strangely, a lot of TEs did not do the bench press drill and only 3 exceeded the minimum reps. Kmet did not lift yesterday. Since TEs have to block DEs and LBs, I think strength is an important factor. To not lift is a yellow flag, unless there is a health concern, like a shoulder problem or something.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Someone was kind enough to post a chart showing the minimum combine drill test results by position. The minimum time for TEs in the 3 cone drill is 7.3 seconds. The minimum bench press is 22 reps. Strangely, a lot of TEs did not do the bench press drill and only 3 exceeded the minimum reps. Kmet did not lift yesterday. Since TEs have to block DEs and LBs, I think strength is an important factor. To not lift is a yellow flag, unless there is a health concern, like a shoulder problem or something.

I don’t think the three-cone speaks doom for Kmet. It just reflects what I see in his play on the field. He’s a catch and run straight until you’re tackled guy, which is why a lot people see Witten in him.

Creeper

Reaction score
I don’t think the three-cone speaks doom for Kmet. It just reflects what I see in his play on the field. He’s a catch and run straight until you’re tackled guy, which is why a lot people see Witten in him.

I see David LaFleur.