Twitter: Colin Cowherd on the Green Bay Packers huge issue

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You're exactly right, but it's too bad the "Easton Assassin" wasn't 6'6".. It would have given him a better shot at landing a glove on Tyson in that fight back in 1988.

He was coming off back to back losses to Michael Spinks and was past his prime by the time he faced Tyson who had just reached his. That wasn’t a good time for anyone to face Tyson.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
He was coming off back to back losses to Michael Spinks and was past his prime by the time he faced Tyson who had just reached his. That wasn’t a good time for anyone to face Tyson.

Tyson in his prime was brutal , but was never tested , hardly there was a fight which went over 5-6 rounds. But he did have reach issues with taller boxers .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
100% AGREE - Holmes was exactly as you stated 6'3 and weighed around 212-220 most of his career. He held the title for 10 years. He had one of the best jabs in Heavy history and was an excellent technician. He was Ali's sparring partner in his early days so he knew how to box with a jab. Often times in his fights in the early years he would get bored because he could score at will and was actually at his best when he was hit hard and even hurt. It would wake him up and he shifted into a controlled rage. Holmes was disrespected by some in the boxing industry as he did follow 3 of the best Ali, Forman and Frazier. I would like to seen him in the mix with these 3. I think he would have even been a better fighter. Those fights would have been great! RE: Cowherd... he didn't really know boxing if didn't think Holmes a good fighter.

Larry Holmes did mix it up with Muhammad Ali but unfortunately Ali was completely washed up and was already showing the effects Parkinson’s. I attended that fight in Las Vegas in October 1980 and it was a sad sight watching Ali get pummeled. It was a sad moment for Larry Holmes who idolized Ali but Ali wanted one more last hurrah. One of the greatest fights I ever attended was the Ken Norton/Larry Holmes fight in June 1978 in Las Vegas. Sylvester Stallone and Roberto Duran were sitting ringside together. It was a 15 round war. Holmes won on a split decision. This was the 15th round, probably the best round of the flight. Holmes hit Norton harder than Ali ever did in the three fights he had with Norton but Norton refused to go down.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Tyson in his prime was brutal , but was never tested , hardly there was a fight which went over 5-6 rounds. But he did have reach issues with taller boxers .

Tyson was so powerful no one could test him. He would get in close and crowd a taller fighter preventing them from using their reach. He would get inside and pummel them. No one could back Tyson up which was the only way to have any success against him. Early in his career Tony Tucker who was 6’5” had the most success against him. He was able to last the full 10 rounds. As long as Tyson was the aggressor he was in control. Buster Douglas was able to hit him a lot and back him up. Douglas used his height, reach and jab to his advantage.

ultron

Reaction score
Colin is 100% right, this has been an issue for GB for a number of years. This is why they get SMOKED in playoff games lately.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
Tyson was so powerful no one could test him. He would get in close and crowd a taller fighter preventing them from using their reach. He would get inside and pummel them. No one could back Tyson up which was the only way to have any success against him. Early in his career Tony Tucker who was 6’5” had the most success against him. He was able to last the full 10 rounds. As long as Tyson was the aggressor he was in control. Buster Douglas was able to hit him a lot and back him up. Douglas used his height, reach and jab to his advantage.
Being the Boxing Historian that you are, I'm sure you recall the fight that Tyson had against 6'4"James "Bonecrusher" Smith in 1987; Unfortunately it was not an entertaining fight because Smith "hugged" Tyson for MOST of the fight for fear of getting knocked out.. Jokingly, after that fight people began calling him "Bone hugger" lol. Tyson won the fight by unanimous decision and became the NEW WBA Champion taking away Smith's title. Even though he lost the fight, Smith seemed pleased that he was able to go the distance against Iron Mike by using his size to HOLD and GRAB to prevent Tyson from getting off any combinations or punches that would hurt him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It was clearly obvious Cleveland got screwed. Everyone say it. The refs should be suspended. That literally changed the outcome and that's not something I would suggest often.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Being the Boxing Historian that you are, I'm sure you recall the fight that Tyson had against 6'4"James "Bonecrusher" Smith in 1987; Unfortunately it was not an entertaining fight because Smith "hugged" Tyson for MOST of the fight for fear of getting knocked out.. Jokingly, after that fight people began calling him "Bone hugger" lol. Tyson won the fight by unanimous decision and became the NEW WBA Champion taking away Smith's title. Even though he lost the fight, Smith seemed pleased that he was able to go the distance against Iron Mike by using his size to HOLD and GRAB to prevent Tyson from getting off any combinations or punches that would hurt him.

I don’t recall anyone thinking James bonecrusher Smith won the fight between Tyson. I would have to go back and watch that fight again but I do recall him holding Tyson a lot which is one reason he lost the decision. He was trying to survive. I stopped following boxing after the second Tyson/Holyfield fight. Haven’t watched a fight since. Tyson was looking like a shot fighter by then and there really wasn’t any fighters that were exciting to watch. I started following boxing when Ali and Joe Frazier fought in their first fight in March 1971. There were a lot of terrific fighters during that era and it continued during the early 80s. Once Tyson came along in the mid to late 80s there was no one who could contend with him. His early round knockouts became routine. After Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 and he went to jail for rape he was never the same. That killed my interest in boxing.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
I don’t recall anyone thinking James bonecrusher Smith won the fight between Tyson. I would have to go back and watch that fight again but I do recall him holding Tyson a lot which is one reason he lost the decision. He was trying to survive. I stopped following boxing after the second Tyson/Holyfield fight. Haven’t watched a fight since. Tyson was looking like a shot fighter by then and there really wasn’t any fighters that were exciting to watch. I started following boxing when Ali and Joe Frazier fought in their first fight in March 1971. There were a lot of terrific fighters during that era and it continued during the early 80s. Once Tyson came along in the mid to late 80s there was no one who could contend with him. His early round knockouts became routine. After Buster Douglas beat him in 1990 and he went to jail for rape he was never the same. That killed my interest in boxing.
I can still see Tyson on his knees dazed and confused trying to pick up his mouthpiece as the referee counted him out.. By far the biggest upset in the history of boxing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I can still see Tyson on his knees dazed and confused trying to pick up his mouthpiece as the referee counted him out.. By far the biggest upset in the history of boxing.

It’s a wonder Tyson had the presence of mind to pick up his mouthpiece and put it back in. I saw an interview with Buster Douglas not long ago and he said he was surprised how easy Tyson was to hit.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
this may seem weird but i am more worried about their 2 running backs tan Rodgers this year.we can get to him but we havent shown we can really stop the run and it may be our only weakness.

They’re even worse at stopping the run than us lately.

We also just got our starting DT’s back which should aid in improvement.

Blackrain

Reaction score
It was PI, but it was good coverage also. DBs are taught, if you're going to hold, make sure it's not with an outstretched arm. It's harder for refs to see. I have to hand it to the GB DB. He executed it perfectly.
He certainly did execute it well he pulled so hard on that guy's jersey that he actually propelled himself forward to get the interception.
It would have been an easy call everybody else in the football watching world saw it but as usual the Packers got away with it

TheHerd

Reaction score
17---i have seen far too many times where refs determine outcome of game...it is more than criminal

Whether we acknowledge they favor one team or not, there is no doubt bad and at a minimum questionable calls determine a very large percentage of games.

TheHerd

Reaction score
He certainly did execute it well he pulled so hard on that guy's jersey that he actually propelled himself forward to get the interception.
It would have been an easy call everybody else in the football watching world saw it but as usual the Packers got away with it
It's ridiculous the the biggest game changing plays aren't reviewable. Just a 5 second check could change the egregious ones. Don't sabotage the game with 15 minute reviews, but they could easily check the easy and obvious ones.