News: Colin Cowherd says Jerry's handling of Elliott contract Is message to other Cowboys

superonyx

Reaction score
Until he holds out again in 2 years.
It's killing you that he signed.

giphy.gif

John813

Reaction score
Very few players have Zeke's talent/leverage, especially for a team built like the Cowboys.

If he was on the Chargers or Pitts, he would still be unsigned.

If Chido were to play this game next year, I doubt the FO gives a big **** and will probably openly fine him.
Or Woods for that matter.

This was simply a top 3/5 player, key cog on the offense, who decided to holdout. It was a blinking game, with some public leaks here and there to see which side would cave in.

Other factors come into play too, like the position Zeke plays is a volatile one, where value can fluctuate very quickly, and usually negative for most backs.

And then some agents don't believe in going with the all or nothing angle too for a new deal.

Dak, for example, will get paid a lot, by a handful of teams next year if the Cowboys can't keep him for whatever reason.
Zeke, otoh, wouldn't have the market for "market value" by a lot of teams.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colin Cowherd Says Jerry Jones' Handling of Ezekiel Elliott's Contract Is Message to Other Cowboys Players

Colin Cowherd of FS1 believes other Dallas Cowboys players who are looking to get a new contract need to pay attention to what's going on with star running back Ezekiel Elliott who is close to signing a new deal. The FS1 host reacted to Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith and offensive lineman La'el Collins getting contract extensions done before Elliott and he said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was sending a clear message to the players.

"It's about a message," Cowherd said on his show The Herd with Colin Cowherd. "We take care of our people if our people take care of us. This is not about Zeke this about Jerry sending a message to Cowboys players."

read more:

https://popculture.com/sports/2019/...nes-ezekiel-elliott-contract-message-cowboys/

New message from Jerry........... pull a surprise holdout and i'll cave.......after a little tough talk.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
What it says is if you hold out long enough, you’ll get close to what you want.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but only two players ( Emmitt and Zeke ) have held out since Jerry's purchased the team. That's over a 30 year period we talking 2 players and they were both top 3 RBs. Yet some of you are posting like new grounds are broken coz it doesn't mesh with your personal agenda. Zeke had the so-called perfect storm that gave him incredible leverage that he took advantage of but as I said earlier, I'd love to see couple younger players try it. I'm 100% confident it will not work unless he's a dominant league-leading player at his position.

superonyx

Reaction score
tenor.gif

I would understand the hold out more if he were coming off an NFL record season or a super bowl championship, but it was neither. His hold out was purely about greed and nothing else.
BS!
If he came off a SB you would be crying saying crap like "Don't you care about trying to be a part of a dynasty, why are you trying to break up our chances of back to back".

If he came off of a record season you would be saying "Would Zeke give some money back if he had a bad season"

The man did what almost everyone does. He wanted to be paid equal to what he is worth. And now he is. He isnt stealing money or getting paid and checking out like Fat Albert Haynesworth did.
You are only thinking about you and your own entertainment interest. If fact you are doing the same thing you are hating Zeke for doing.
Kind of ironic isnt it?

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
BS!
If he came off a SB you would be crying saying crap like "Don't you care about trying to be a part of a dynasty, why are you trying to break up our chances of back to back".

If he came off of a record season you would be saying "Would Zeke give some money back if he had a bad season"

The man did what almost everyone does. He wanted to be paid equal to what he is worth. And now he is. He isnt stealing money or getting paid and checking out like Fat Albert Haynesworth did.
You are only thinking about you and your own entertainment interest. If fact you are doing the same thing you are hating Zeke for doing.
Kind of ironic isnt it?

?!?!?!?!?!?! You don't know a damn thing about me or what I think.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Some fans are close to carrying the hypocrite card.........not saying you are but it's close IMO.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
Colin Cowherd Says Jerry Jones' Handling of Ezekiel Elliott's Contract Is Message to Other Cowboys Players

Colin Cowherd of FS1 believes other Dallas Cowboys players who are looking to get a new contract need to pay attention to what's going on with star running back Ezekiel Elliott who is close to signing a new deal. The FS1 host reacted to Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith and offensive lineman La'el Collins getting contract extensions done before Elliott and he said Cowboys owner Jerry Jones was sending a clear message to the players.

"It's about a message," Cowherd said on his show The Herd with Colin Cowherd. "We take care of our people if our people take care of us. This is not about Zeke this about Jerry sending a message to Cowboys players."

read more:

https://popculture.com/sports/2019/...nes-ezekiel-elliott-contract-message-cowboys/

I say it’s only 50/50 Zeke gets to finish out that contract.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

read more:

I don't think there's any doubt about it. There's clearly a message being sent that if you want to stay here with this team and are willing to take a little less on a team friendly deal in order to allow us to keep more of this team's nucleus, it will happen. I'd be willing to bet that there have been offers made to several of the team's 2020 free agents already.

I think that long-term contract proposals have already been offered to Maliek Collins, Byron Jones, and Anthony Brown, and likely several others as well. And it simply comes down to taking a bit less and wrapping it up now and staying with this team, or waiting and going for as much as you can on the open market. It's up to the individual to decide what is most important to them.

If anyone watched Zeke's interview with the media yesterday, he mentioned it as being one of the biggest messages the team made to him. They're stating and restating it over and over and over again to get the message across to everyone. Then it's up to the players to decide what is more important to them. And there is no right or wrong answer on that, it's simply a matter of what's more important to the individual.

Rayman70

Reaction score
you lost me at "Colin Cowherd says" ...the guys job is to be shocking...thus, he is a "TV/RADIO SHOCK JOCK." I ignore about 99% of what he spews outta his pie hole. He is a weasel personified. NEXT.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It's a message that you can hold out and bully the Joneses and you'll eventually get your way if people don't think the team can win without you.
AH..NO...Jerry got some of what he wanted too. We were able to spread out the cap hit by adding a lot of years to his already existing rookie deal which had 2 years left on it...so 8 YEARS. That's a win for the team capwise.. It enables the team to sign key players. The final deal numbers are just fluff. The devil is in the details..length of the deal.