News: Colin Cowherd says Jerry's handling of Elliott contract Is message to other Cowboys

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Or....he could have showed up to camp...got hurt in a camp practice or preseason game...and NEVER gotten this deal.

Yes, he could have said, I will do this hold out next year and then 1st game goes out and has an ACL tear and gets nothing, ZERO NOTTO.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It's a message that you can hold out and bully the Joneses and you'll eventually get your way if people don't think the team can win without you.
How many players are so important that the team can't win without them? I don't think that was even true in Zeke's case. You are just wishing what you said is true because you are an Eagles fan and you want this Cowboys team to fall apart.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
There's no way. Would you want one of your coworkers trying to talk you out of taking a full raise that you feel you deserve for the good of the company? I would tell you to eat a ****.

Not sure how long you been watching or involved with NFL games but good lord, players NOT DO involve themselves in other players business affairs, that's NFL players 101. Research the response Tank and Fredbeard gave reporters who asked them about Zeke contracts situation couple months ago.

As a player I'd want to get the biggest contract I can get. As a member of the front office I'd try to keep large contracts off the books. It's a matter of position versus perspective. That's simple enough, right?

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
La'el and Jaylon seem like bigger messages.
Ya know?
When it's viewed in the
"Less pie left" perspective? :lmao:, , , ol' Football Dad's brilliantly played ploy of burning thru all that ( once was ) Available Elliott's new contract money ? ,,, Camp Elliott definitely copped the b.t.u. generated heat sweats from afar, after when seeing Jerry mixing it up& laying it out, to his just as hungry & just as deserving players ,,,lmao,,,Elliott knew Football Dad was more than likely to not have even a $1 million dollar
" under cap" cushion ,once he'd got fully involved( lmao) into serving out all them there pie slices:lmao2:

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Very few players have Zeke's talent/leverage, especially for a team built like the Cowboys.

If he was on the Chargers or Pitts, he would still be unsigned.

If Chido were to play this game next year, I doubt the FO gives a big **** and will probably openly fine him.
Or Woods for that matter.

This was simply a top 3/5 player, key cog on the offense, who decided to holdout. It was a blinking game, with some public leaks here and there to see which side would cave in.

Other factors come into play too, like the position Zeke plays is a volatile one, where value can fluctuate very quickly, and usually negative for most backs.

And then some agents don't believe in going with the all or nothing angle too for a new deal.

Dak, for example, will get paid a lot, by a handful of teams next year if the Cowboys can't keep him for whatever reason.
Zeke, otoh, wouldn't have the market for "market value" by a lot of teams.

* while I'm certain it was but a mere exuberant oversight on yer' end, my good friend ,in the bottom of that 2nd paragraph of yer post where yer' stating " were he not as capable of a player that he is" (Elliott) he'd still remain unsigned by other franchise's,,, as that's big ol' sack bag of *$$ gas Windy's you'd inadvertently dropped unto the tablefare of illustration, for forum consumption, cuz' he'd done been in violation of his legal & binding contract fer' the entirety of training camp,,, just sayin' ya know, bro?o_O

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
This has all been covered here in other threads, but this was a spectacular contract for the Cowboys. It actually increased their cap space and left them with more than $20M in 2019 and, get this, $65M in 2020.

It’s a team-friendly deal that is backloaded with salary in years that Zeke will never see. Effectively it’s a 4-year $50M contract. For those who are math challenged, $12.5M per year, which would put Zeke behind both Gurley and Bell in salary.

What Jerry is doing is obvious. He’s loading up for a run. Everybody - yep, all of them - is going to get signed. There’s enough “pie” for Collins, Chido, Byron Jones, and of course Coop and Dak...

... that is, until 2021, when the crap hits the fan. But that’s two shots with the full roster to win a Super Bowl. I like our chances.

So don’t buy the hype about Jerry caving. This played out exactly as he wanted it to.

Rayman70

Reaction score
This has all been covered here in other threads, but this was a spectacular contract for the Cowboys. It actually increased their cap space and left them with more than $20M in 2019 and, get this, $65M in 2020.

It’s a team-friendly deal that is backloaded with salary in years that Zeke will never see. Effectively it’s a 4-year $50M contract. For those who are math challenged, $12.5M per year, which would put Zeke behind both Gurley and Bell in salary.

What Jerry is doing is obvious. He’s loading up for a run. Everybody - yep, all of them - is going to get signed. There’s enough “pie” for Collins, Chido, Byron Jones, and of course Coop and Dak...

... that is, until 2021, when the crap hits the fan. But that’s two shots with the full roster to win a Super Bowl. I like our chances.

So don’t buy the hype about Jerry caving. This played out exactly as he wanted it to.
yes 100 percent true. Anyone can look at the deal and see this.

jrumann59

Reaction score
It's a message that you can hold out and bully the Joneses and you'll eventually get your way if people don't think the team can win without you.
That is the story of NFL for the most part. Elite productive talent always has leverage. For every Bell there are 10 Zeke's.

Dallasfann

Reaction score

Thankfully, 99 % of this roster isn't nearly as valuable as Zeke. Zeke knew that, Jones knew it, and really us fans knew it. Zeke was in the perfect storm. Dude had a royal flush hand. No other team even has a pair walking into negotiations. So in a round about way you are absolutely correct. If you have a royal flush hand then by all means hold out and Jones will pay you.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

You hold out you better have the top skills to justify it. Jerry has let others walk but 2 time rushing champ yeah he was going to take care of him never doubted it. Now if Heath was too hold out, he would be gone.

Altestic

Reaction score
You hold out you better have the top skills to justify it. Jerry has let others walk but 2 time rushing champ yeah he was going to take care of him never doubted it. Now if Heath was too hold out, he would be gone.
Hence "if people don't think the team can win without you".

Thankfully, 99 % of this roster isn't nearly as valuable as Zeke. Zeke knew that, Jones knew it, and really us fans knew it. Zeke was in the perfect storm. Dude had a royal flush hand. No other team even has a pair walking into negotiations. So in a round about way you are absolutely correct. If you have a royal flush hand then by all means hold out and Jones will pay you.
One would argue that what Zeke had was more like pocket aces without another ace on the board as opposed to a royal flush

Doomsday101

Reaction score

One would argue that what Zeke had was more like pocket aces without another ace on the board as opposed to a royal flush

I don't blame Jerry for signing critical parts to this team. Looking at the deal in it's entirety it does not look bad for either side. However showing players that you can be great and we will lowball you is not the solution unless your plan in to pick early in the draft.

Dallasfann

Reaction score

One could also argue there isn't one player on this team more important to winning football games then Zeke. He gets so many extra yards for this team it's scary. He makes so many big blocks on 3rd down that go unnoticed.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Talents like Zeke get Paid.
Jerry just decided that he would be the one to pick up that option as other suitors would be available in a jiffy.
Look for another similar hold-out 3 years from now if our offense is still totally dependent on Zeke to move the ball.
Money makes the world go around the world go around the world go around......

aria

Reaction score
But he got the deal now which is what he wanted. And 50 million of it is guaranteed. Good move on his part.
And bad move on the Cowboys part. Glad some people are more happy for the player than the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
they seem like they signed a contract to stay with the team.

Two guys with special circumstances. We took a chance on Jaylon, and then Jerry made good on a clear promise to Collins to make up for what he lost out on when he was screwed on his rookie contract.

I suspect that played a part in the good deals we got with both players.

But my point was about the message the message sent by *management* with the Collins and Jaylon deals. The bank is open. Make the team a good deal, and you can get an extension.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Zeke is a top 3 player at his position. If he was a free agent tomorrow there is at least a couple of teams that would give him top 3 rb money.

Future free agents - Guys like Dak and Amari. If they play to that level of production then they can ask for that type of money. Especially in dak's case. He was a free agent tomorrow i don't see a team willing to give him 35 mil a year.

People like to use the carson wentz comparison with dak. Carson wentz was almost an mvp, he was a reason the eagles were in position to win a SB. Almost every single guy in the top 10 paid quarterbacks has either won or at least been to a SB.