Twitter: Colin: Nobody has ever been coddled like Dak Prescott

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The funny part about it is Dak's significantly more Hollywood than Romo ever was.
That is a very interesting conclusion. I am not disagreeing but it should be tested somehow.

One criteria should be, "What does 'hollywood' mean to most people?" Bill Parcells' eleventh commandment began with, "Don't be a celebrity quarterback..." If celebrity equals hollywood, how has Prescott been more of a celebrity than Romo during their respective football careers?

Gator88

Reaction score
That is a very interesting conclusion. I am not disagreeing but it should be tested somehow.

One criteria should be, "What does 'hollywood' mean to most people?" Bill Parcells' eleventh commandment began with, "Don't be a celebrity quarterback..." If celebrity equals hollywood, how has Prescott been more of a celebrity than Romo during their respective football careers?
Mostly the fact that Dak is taking advantage of his position as Cowboys QB to advertise significantly more than Romo did when Romo was active in the NFL.

Lots more commercials for Dak in addition to advertising via his twitter things like crypto blockchain.

Swagger

Reaction score
I’m not in the hate Dak camp or the love Dak camp. But here are the facts as I see them:

1. He has been in the league long enough that he is probably not going to improve himself significantly.

2. He is now making $40M per year which was elite top 5 money when it was signed. I don’t care if it’s 7th or 8th now or 10th a year from now. It is elite money.

3. Prescott has beaten bad teams and padded his record against those bad teams.

4. Usually, Dak has disappeared and played poorly against the better teams in the NFL.

5. Dak does not appear to go through his progressions well, doesn’t trust what he sees and routinely throws behind receivers.

6. You can win with Dak, the bus driver, but he must be surrounded with a very good supporting cast. Dak’s contract really hinders providing him that supporting cast.

7. I don’t think we must get rid of Dak, but if we are going to win a SB with Dak we either have to catch lightning in a bottle with almost every draft choice to surround him with his supporting cast, OR he has to be paid in the 15-20 range of QBs instead of top 5.

Dak will never accept 15-20 pay and it unfairly handicaps the team to pay him as elite QB. If we want a SB something has to give.

8. QBs like Dak come available every so often on the free agent market because they are not elite. Garroppolo is probably in the same class of QB that Dak is and he was a backup. Baker Mayfield may also be in that same class, but it’s hard to tell based on the teams he has played for.

Ask yourself would you rather have Dak at $50-55m per year or a guy like Garroppolo or Mayfield and a draft pick throw at the dartboard. You might have a better chance at a SB with the latter.
An impressive, well reasoned post.

garyo1954

Reaction score
I’m not in the hate Dak camp or the love Dak camp. But here are the facts as I see them:

1. He has been in the league long enough that he is probably not going to improve himself significantly.

2. He is now making $40M per year which was elite top 5 money when it was signed. I don’t care if it’s 7th or 8th now or 10th a year from now. It is elite money.

3. Prescott has beaten bad teams and padded his record against those bad teams.

4. Usually, Dak has disappeared and played poorly against the better teams in the NFL.

5. Dak does not appear to go through his progressions well, doesn’t trust what he sees and routinely throws behind receivers.

6. You can win with Dak, the bus driver, but he must be surrounded with a very good supporting cast. Dak’s contract really hinders providing him that supporting cast.

7. I don’t think we must get rid of Dak, but if we are going to win a SB with Dak we either have to catch lightning in a bottle with almost every draft choice to surround him with his supporting cast, OR he has to be paid in the 15-20 range of QBs instead of top 5.

Dak will never accept 15-20 pay and it unfairly handicaps the team to pay him as elite QB. If we want a SB something has to give.

8. QBs like Dak come available every so often on the free agent market because they are not elite. Garroppolo is probably in the same class of QB that Dak is and he was a backup. Baker Mayfield may also be in that same class, but it’s hard to tell based on the teams he has played for.

Ask yourself would you rather have Dak at $50-55m per year or a guy like Garroppolo or Mayfield and a draft pick throw at the dartboard. You might have a better chance at a SB with the latter.

Exactly. The Dak ship has sailed. It's the same story Arthur Murray tells John in RDR2. "I was the show pony once, now I'm just the old workhorse."

Wentz got a ring (earned or not), Goff made an appearance, (both drafted the same year), Mahomes (2017) two appearances and now Burrow.
Dak ain't beating Tom Brady, or Rogers, and likely not Garrapolo or Stafford (without lightning in a bottle).

And he's not going to become Jim Plunkett with the Raiders in the latter half of his career. The smart teams are loading up for the departures of the Bradys, the Rogers and the Staffords.

Booger is doing his "everything is great," "1 + 1= 3," status quo.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
This is getting awfully close to cultural shaming.

The way a person dresses does not justify defamation.
You've got to kidding me. Unreal.
Exactly what culture am I defaming?

How exactly did I even defame him?

If you put your SJW feels down for a second and consider the context of the discussion you might come to understand that the comment was made in reference to the assertion that Romo had gone hollywood and Dak was above that. I didn't even say going hollywood was a good or bad thing. I pointed out that we never saw fashion shots of Romo like we regularly do with Dak in his edgy, high fashion hollywoodesq wardrobe. If those facts offend you, that's your problem.

(I am subtly defaming the SJW culture in this post)

Unreal....

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Hey Colin, #1 ranked offense vs #32 ranked offense.

Is this simple enough for even a simpleton to understand?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Just saying how he dresses or looks should have no bearing on what he does on field.
My comment on his dress had nothing to do with what he does on the field. Very important distinction.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
My comment on his dress had nothing to do with what he does on the field. Very important distinction.

It was a shallow comment and has no bearing on topic of this thread then.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
Since 2016 he is 18-24 (. 428) against teams finishing the season with a winning record.

As Parcells liked to say "you are what your record says you are"

Dak's record is below average.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It was a shallow comment and has no bearing on topic of this thread then.
lol. Now you're the thread police.... Unreal.

It was a comment in direct response to an admittedly off topic side discussion going on among a few posters. The sort of side discussion that regularly takes place. over and over, in thread after thread. So while it may have no bearing on the topic of the thread, it does have bearing on the side discussion, which, as we know, is a very common occurrence. Without going back and looking, I would bet there are multiple side discussions going on in this very thread. In fact, you yourself engaged in this very side discussion, and have spawned yet another side discussion!

All this to say.... The timing of your sudden interest in thread policing has not gone unnoticed. Now I'm no high-fallootin judger of what is shallow or not, but I did just text my great Aunt Mabel who does know a thing or two about deciding what's what, and she is saying that "you tell that young man that he ain't got no place to be calling anyone shallow whilst he's throwing around false claims of defamation, with a whiff of something really rotten mixed in. Then insulting a body even more, instead of accepting his mistake with maybe a smidgeon of contrition".

The other thing that has not gone unnoticed, is the very, very selective nature of what seems to be you only active investigation in your new role as thread police. Are citizens arrests an option here in your jurisdiction? If so, sir, you can't arrest me because I'm arresting you first!! I'm not going to citizens arrest any of the other shallow, no-bearing having, damn fools because them's my people. Some of em might not know a QB from a Big Mac, but them's my people. So you're the only one getting citizens arrested tonight Sgt. High Fallootin! What do you say about them apples!!!

****(No intent to defame Big Macs, fast food in general, people who eat fast food, or no-bearing having, damn fools should be interpreted from the above)****

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Since 2016 he is 18-24 (. 428) against teams finishing the season with a winning record.

As Parcells liked to say "you are what your record says you are"

Dak's record is below average.
Is Stafford below average?

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Colin is the Mike Fisher of tv. I take EVERYTHING he says with several grains of salt. Tony was also "coddled"..Aikman..coddled...its the nature of being the QB of America's team. There is perception, then there is reality. The reality is, Daks treated the same way every other QB is treated. Its the nature of the position. Colin don't have to like it. Its just the way it is. Heck even HS QB's are coddled because SO MUCH is riding on that 1 position(player). Clearly he doesn't fully understand what it takes to be a QB at any level. Much is mental.

LOL, Colin is a clear example of the skinny, geeky kid in HS with a pocket protector full of pens and pencils in his shirt pocket who fawned over the sports athletes in his HS who were looked up to by everyone, who could not participate in sports because he weighed just a bit over a buck. He may have been in the chess club or debate team or even wrote the sports column in the school paper. Nothing against him, i see other talking heads in the same light.

Having said that, i don't know as far as if the Jones' are coddling Dak or to what extent. I do know from observation they have done everything they can to try not to pressure him or intimidate him with competition at QB. They have made sure his competition is a FA QB with no job security in order for Dak to be comfortable, safe and secure in his own job. This may be to his own detriment because he has not been pushed to improve or properly learn defense alignments/schemes to attack them. Every year, he always talks about coming into camp in the best shape of his life, but no one asks if he is mentally ready as well. Did he go through film to see what defenses threw at him and how he failed and how he can improve? At $40m per year, I would expect it is not too much to ask for him to do that as well. QB play is not just using your arm, but also what's between your ears. This is where he has let the team down.

Rayman70

Reaction score
1kjbx8.jpg
What I think about Colin Cowturd