Colin:Will Cowboys use 1st pick to replace Dak?

reddyuta

Reaction score
$35m net gain will could see us through the bad contracts of: Cooper, Jaylon, Zeke and help us not having to rely on restructuring players with health concerns Smith, Collins.

Next year's free agency year will possibly contain more talent than most due to the reduced CAP.

Not disagreeing with your position, but my concern is that if we sign Dak (especially to a 3 year deal) it's going to take some time to improve as it'll be purely through the draft .....and we'll extend the financial problems as we guarantee more money against those bad contracts.

good point.i would absolutely love to draft a replacement for Dak if we are reasonably sure we can get his level of play with his a high pick on a QB,this team will not be good by paying the QB 35 million..

jjktkk

Reaction score
The Cowboys have allowed this situation to reach a point where they have no leverage and cannot really trade Dak for more picks.
Regarding Dak's contract after the season, don't you think Dak coming back from a serious ankle injury gives Jerry and friends some sort of leverage?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Regarding Dak's contract after the season, don't you think Dak coming back from a serious ankle injury gives Jerry and friends some sort of leverage?
A good negotiator would certainly make it leverage.
But it's the Son doing the negotiating so...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If you get in the position to draft great you do it
We may be in position to draft Lawrence and if so I take him
I’m not convinced fields is as good as Dak myself
If you can’t draft great you sure don’t let good walk till you do
So if we end up at 5 I take the best player I can there and I don’t think that will be a QB
Love Sewell but he’s going very early
But him or best defensive player is what I do and keep dak

Keep Dak at any cost? Because that's what you are suggesting here. I'm not in on that.

BobbyFlame469

Reaction score
Anyone who wants Fields might as well stick with Dak and use the pick to build. Only one I can see you would go for is Trevor, but with how the Jets are tanking, they will have first dibs. At this point you resign Dak, and use that high pick to either pick up another high 2nd round pick + maybe only drop down 5-7 spots so you can still pick up a game changer player and use the two 2nd round picks to help solidify other positions.
Fields will be better than Trevor though

conner01

Reaction score
Keep Dak at any cost? Because that's what you are suggesting here. I'm not in on that.
They were very close this year
The price is gonna be higher now
But the market is the market
You are gonna pay him what they wanted too last year plus probably 0%
The alternative is start over at QB which means no premium pick for defense because you spent that pick on a QB
Our cap is gonna get easier after next year because zeke and coopers contract is designed to walk away from
If we want to spend 2-3 years rebuilding then take a QB
If you want to win next year you fix the defense with this draft and keep Dak

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The alternative is start over at QB which means no premium pick for defense because you spent that pick on a QB
Our cap is gonna get easier after next year because zeke and coopers contract is designed to walk away from

How much are we going to pay him?

Cap is going to be easier?? 2022 - Dead Money on Zeke and Cooper =$16.8m. We save $21.7m but would have to extend Gallup and Pollard.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Replace Dak?! Hey Colin, why don't you focus on the Rams/Egals quarterbacks.
I promise you'll get more Clicks. :lmao2:

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

They were very close? Close to what?

The Price may go higher, it may decrease, you don't know. That's the problem with a great many. They speak as if things are assured and they are not. Dak is a perfect example of this. Nobody saw this injury coming except those that did and explained that it could happen. They were all talked down and I watched it happen on this board. There are no guarantees in life. Dak may or may not get paid what you suggest. I certainly would not pay him that but, we will see what happens. As for no premium pick, again, you don't know this. You are making assumptions based on no info.

In fact, this entire thread contains a great deal of assumptions. You say win next year. With what? What Defensive player are you going to draft that allows you to improve this defense to the point where they are good enough to be even middle of the pack in the NFL next season? That is going to take a few drafts, by itself. The Cowboys could go a lot of ways in this next draft. You assume that it's QB but it may not be. It could easily be LT and QB could be later. A top pick in the draft could easily get you two first round picks and/or some combination of 1st round pick and multiple high 2nd and 3rds.

The idea that we are close, that's not true IMO. Our window closed a season or two ago IMO.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
I say try and sign Dak to contract that doesn’t take up too large percentage of Cap space. Then build defense from inside out. And I’m ready for 54 to be gone.

davey999

Reaction score
Personally, I would not. I think Dak is a top ten QB in the league and we can win with him. We do need to, however, make decisions on Zeke, Amari and Jaylon.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
You win with defense, something we have not had since our Superbowl’s. Flacco for example, was carried by his defense. Don’t get me wrong, QB play is extremely important, but defense wins championships. look at Jimmy G and the 49ers last year. He was carried by his defense. Dak is better than him. With a good defense, we can and will go far.