Colin:Will Cowboys use 1st pick to replace Dak?

Old'Boyfan

Reaction score
Fix the trenches man, the trenches. Use that #2, #3 or #4, trade back a little to get an extra pick & start fixing the d-line, o-line, LB crew and safety. The rest will be fixable if we focus on the trenches.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
54 is the new 34, you have another solid 40 years with modern medicine...heck you might be able to clone a copy of yourself in a few years or transfer your brain to a cyborg....keep the party going!
And he'll be doing the Gameday Menu in 2120.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Fix the trenches man, the trenches. Use that #2, #3 or #4, trade back a little to get an extra pick & start fixing the d-line, o-line, LB crew and safety. The rest will be fixable if we focus on the trenches.

Cowboy fans love drafting offensive talent in the first few rounds of the draft and then complain the defense sucks when they draft guys in the later rounds. This team should focus on the defense and OL.

Reactions: G2

garyv

Reaction score

Here is the reason I might say yes to Fields at #2 I'm not sure he will be quit at Daks level but in fairness you get him cheap
for 5 years rather than spending 40 plus million a year on Dak this allows them the ability to improve the OL and defense.

Qcard

Reaction score
We interrupted this Dak Hate thread to bring you your daily "Colin Cowherd Will Say Anything" Episode (Latest).

https://www.si.com/.amp-broncos/nfl/broncos/news/colin-cowherd-flip-flops-im-out-on-drew-lock

USATSI_13739021.jpg

FOX Sports 1 host Colin Cowherd thinks it is Lock’s turn for a second-year surge. Cowherd recently made his case for why Lock should be considered a dark horse MVP candidate for the 2020 season

After laying out his case, Cowherd circled back to his conclusion. Lock is the player who will “pop” in his second-year and have an MVP season leading a championship contender.

“I think he’s a huge talent and that’s why I’ve said this year, you know in the NFL, somebody’s going to win a division and we’re going to be shocked. Don’t be shocked if Denver beats Kansas City.”

Hey @PAPPYDOG :lmao2::lmao2:

Bing

Reaction score
Absolutely they should use the first pick on a QB. This team is bad and its going to take multiple years to right the ship. Its completely foolish to pay Dak the money he wants just to go 4-12 or even 8-8 and never have anything to show for it. Didnt we learn that lesson with Romo.

Bring in a 1st round QB on a rookie contract and take all that money we saved by not paying Dak and use it to build around the Rookie QB. It will still be ugly for a few years while we get all the players in place but it's either do it that way or we pay Dak his money and field the same team we have been fielding for the past 25 years..which is a team that has never even sniffed the Super Bowl.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
We better.

No guarantees with Dak. He might want to leave, he might not be the same, he will command more money ect....

He's also very average.

We better play it safe, let him walk and start all over.

#DontpayDak

Lmao. Very average? I bet you were one of those morons who thought Dalton would step right in and we would not miss a beat.

Creeper

Reaction score
That premise could also apply to signing Dak short term.

With this defense we're going to be lousy for the next couple of years and its going to take a number of drafts AND spending in FA to overcome

This is the conundrum, isn't it? If they sign Dak they hamper their ability to sign other players to improve the team quickly. If they don't sign him and draft a QB they will have more money to spend but they are stuck with inexperience and a learning curve. Since they can't get a defensive player in the first round they have to go to free agency and their philosophy prevents them from doing this.

At the end of the day, Jerry created this problem by signing Zeke, Jaylon, Cooper and Lawrence to big contracts before signing Dak.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Even if a deal can't be made with Dak, I just feel the upside of aquiring talent all over the team outweighs either Lawrence or Fields. There are other QBs out there and if we actually have a complete team, we don't need to pour a bunch of money into the QB position.

What good is having one of these guys if we don't improve significantly on the OL and defense?

You're not looking at this holistically.

If he doesn't sign and we don't draft a QB, Dak will have ALL the leverage, play on the TAG or even hold out until we give him exactly what he wants.

He's probably willing to play on the 'show me' tag for $38m tag in 2021, but what then happens in 2022? We have overlooked the chance to take a blue chip QB and will be more dependent on Dak signing....in a year he could earn $50m on tag.

To overcome this we sign a QB and trade either Dak or the draft pick.....this will get the Dak contract sorted once and for all.

Its nothing to do with improving other parts of the team, not signing Dak will release a net $33m to spend on a FA market which if MLB is anything to go by will be flooded with players being cut.

aria

Reaction score
We better.

No guarantees with Dak. He might want to leave, he might not be the same, he will command more money ect....

He's also very average.

We better play it safe, let him walk and start all over.

#DontpayDak
how is drafting a QB other than Lawrence playing it safe? QB’s are busts all the time.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
This is the conundrum, isn't it? If they sign Dak they hamper their ability to sign other players to improve the team quickly. If they don't sign him and draft a QB they will have more money to spend but they are stuck with inexperience and a learning curve. Since they can't get a defensive player in the first round they have to go to free agency and their philosophy prevents them from doing this.

At the end of the day, Jerry created this problem by signing Zeke, Jaylon, Cooper and Lawrence to big contracts before signing Dak.

Yep indeed. thats why i'm pinning my hopes that a long 5 year deal is signed ,even if it means more guaranteed money, spread that bonus to the end of the contract.....at least we'll have money to spend in 2022 and 2023 without having to restructure those bad deals.

75boyz

Reaction score
But the team Dak has had included an All World OL.

That has evaporated. Zeke can tell him how things are now.

Dak will clearly struggle winning with this team and especially this defense.

If that is correct..why pay Dak?

All of this. No denying it or calling it speculation. Empirical evidence in the film even.
Dallas Daksters prefer a single player over what's best for the whole team.

Oh well,
Like they used to tell me in the Navy.

Hurry up and wait. Lol

And wait some more.
And more.

Swagger

Reaction score
Absolutely they should use the first pick on a QB. This team is bad and its going to take multiple years to right the ship. Its completely foolish to pay Dak the money he wants just to go 4-12 or even 8-8 and never have anything to show for it. Didnt we learn that lesson with Romo.

Bring in a 1st round QB on a rookie contract and take all that money we saved by not paying Dak and use it to build around the Rookie QB. It will still be ugly for a few years while we get all the players in place but it's either do it that way or we pay Dak his money and field the same team we have been fielding for the past 25 years..which is a team that has never even sniffed the Super Bowl.
Bingo

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not with Fields.

I want to be so bad but he is putting nothing on tapes that wows me.

Don't get me wrong I think he will be good but everything is so optimal for him and that aside I don't see crazy upside either.

He's going to be a solid player like Dak.

I think the case for Fields is you can replace Dak with Dak part 2 for cheap which is still a smart move for team building.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I want to be so bad but he is putting nothing on tapes that wows me.

Don't get me wrong I think he will be good but everything is so optimal for him and that aside I don't see crazy upside either.

He's going to be a solid player like Dak.

I think the case for Fields is you can replace Dak with Dak part 2 for cheap which is still a smart move for team building.

You can do that with a few QB options IMO but you only get a top 5 pick a few times. The last time we got one, we took a RB. You better make this one count a lot more then the last one, is the way I look at it.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can do that with a few QB options IMO but you only get a top 5 pick a few times. The last time we got one, we took a RB. You better make this one count a lot more then the last one, is the way I look at it.

I'm all in for Trevor Lawrence.

I know it makes me a bad Cowboy fan right now but I don't care. I was happy losing to Philly and I hope we keep taking L's.

I want this team to compete for titles and getting stud players is how you achieve that.

It's only November and there is already rumblings he doesn't want to be a Jet and the Jets could possibly stick with Darnold and actually put some pieces around him.. Darnold is only 23 and they have failed him.

tunahelper

Reaction score
Fields doesn’t look like a top 2 pick to me

This is the big question. If Fields is capable then this should be a serious strategy. Dak is good, but he is not elite. Meaning he needs several assets around him to keep the offense rolling. The top QB's do not need 3+ high level skill players to score a lot of points.
If Fields is legit then take him. Put the money you spend in Dak into the defense. It will take Fields a couple of years and we could compete in 3 years for a SB, if we draft well and spend wisely on FA's.