College Football playoff thread

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who you got? I have UGA in a re-match of the SEC title game. I think UGA's defense read too many of its own headlines. I expect them to be fired up for this playoff. Bama is good but they aren't as good as they looked Saturday, and they lost Metchie for the rest of the year which is a blow to a young wr core.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got the game I wanted. When watching the MI-OSU game, my first thought was a matchup between MI and UGA. MI looked like the UGA of the Big 10.

I do think UGA wins and meets Bama in the title game. Bryce Young with Metchie and Williams healthy and Robinson running the rock is a handful for any defense and Bama's OL finally showed up.

I have nothing against Bama but I am ready for a different champ and the Bearcats are the anti-establishment favorite but I do not see them beating Bama. I think it would be great for the sport because the trophy has been going to the champion recruiters.

We'll see how UGA responds to that whupping because they did not expect that, averaging giving up only 7 ppg on D.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I got the game I wanted. When watching the MI-OSU game, my first thought was a matchup between MI and UGA. MI looked like the UGA of the Big 10.

I do think UGA wins and meets Bama in the title game. Bryce Young with Metchie and Williams healthy and Robinson running the rock is a handful for any defense and Bama's OL finally showed up.

I have nothing against Bama but I am ready for a different champ and the Bearcats are the anti-establishment favorite but I do not see them beating Bama. I think it would be great for the sport because the trophy has been going to the champion recruiters.

We'll see how UGA responds to that whupping because they did not expect that, averaging giving up only 7 ppg on D.

Bama has been playing down to its opponents this year. They got soooo lucky against Auburn........... they should have 2 losses. Metchie tore is ACL saturday. So, he's out. I just can't see Bryce Young putting up another 400 yards passing on UGAs defense.

I don't know much about Michigan, but that was an impressive win against Iowa. Cincy beat ND. So, i'm not counting them out, but if the version of Alabama that played UGA saturday shows up, its gonna be a blowout.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Bama has been playing down to its opponents this year. They got soooo lucky against Auburn........... they should have 2 losses. Metchie tore is ACL saturday. So, he's out. I just can't see Bryce Young putting up another 400 yards passing on UGAs defense.

I don't know much about Michigan, but that was an impressive win against Iowa. Cincy beat ND. So, i'm not counting them out, but if the version of Alabama that played UGA saturday shows up, its gonna be a blowout.
Losing Metchie is huge but Saban will just activate one of their 5 stars waiting in the wings and he has time to prepare.

MI is the team of destiny as this is overdue for Harbaugh and beating OSU was monumental for him and they are a solid typical Big 10 team from the good ole days, just like him. He cannot let go of what he thinks the game is, run the ball and play defense. For that reason, I would like to see a team do it that doesn't have some superstar QB throwing for 400 a game.

MI and UGA is going to be a slugfest with the two most physical D's going at it, which is why I wanted that game. It is refreshing to watch throwback ball.

terra

Reaction score
Losing Metchie is huge but Saban will just activate one of their 5 stars waiting in the wings and he has time to prepare.

MI is the team of destiny as this is overdue for Harbaugh and beating OSU was monumental for him and they are a solid typical Big 10 team from the good ole days, just like him. He cannot let go of what he thinks the game is, run the ball and play defense. For that reason, I would like to see a team do it that doesn't have some superstar QB throwing for 400 a game.

MI and UGA is going to be a slugfest with the two most physical D's going at it, which is why I wanted that game. It is refreshing to watch throwback ball.
I think GA will beat Michigan but it will be a fight. If Michigan wins what I see happening is a throwback to the 70's and 80's Rose Bowl where the Big Ten team big and strong gets worked by the Pac 10 team with speed (Alabama)

GA/ALA part deux? Not sure. I think GA plays better but at the same time there is no one better at getting his team ready and playing how they should in a big game then Saban. Fisher so far does not do that.

As regards Michigan and Harbaugh? He HAD to do it this year or he was gone. The question is can he win it all. HE beat OSU which was critical, won the Big 10 which was a must to keep his job. One thing to remember is that Harbaugh has never won the really big game up till this year. In college or the Pros. Is this year an aberration or has he finally figured it out?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

UGA kinda snuck up on people. Nobody thought they would be good this year b/c the Qb position is below par and there is no star rb or wrs. The offense is very mediocre. Prior ro the Bama game, the defense has carried the team giving up the fewest points in the SEC since Auburn1988. So, a slug fest it should be.

But, Bill O'Brien just gave college football a blue print on how to shred them. So, nobody is sure what to expect from UGA right now.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally I think the two sec teams should have a rematch as a playoff match up.
It should be Bama vs Georgia and Cincy vs Michigan.

If one conference is going to have two teams in a four team playoff...they should not have a chance to have both in the title game.
They should square off in the playoff match and the winner rep the conference.

But that is just me and I know it will not or is not going to happen.

terra

Reaction score
I think GA will beat Michigan but it will be a fight. If Michigan wins what I see happening is a throwback to the 70's and 80's Rose Bowl where the Big Ten team big and strong gets worked by the Pac 10 team with speed (Alabama)

GA/ALA part deux? Not sure. I think GA plays better but at the same time there is no one better at getting his team ready and playing how they should in a big game then Saban. Fisher so far does not do that.

As regards Michigan and Harbaugh? He HAD to do it this year or he was gone. The question is can he win it all. HE beat OSU which was critical, won the Big 10 which was a must to keep his job. One thing to remember is that Harbaugh has never won the really big game up till this year. In college or the Pros. Is this year an aberration or has he finally figured it out?
I meant Kirby Smart not fisher; not sure why I keep saying that.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Order of preference for this year only (not probability)
Cincinnati
Georgia
Michigan
Alabama

Expect results
Georgia > Alabama

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
UGA kinda snuck up on people. Nobody thought they would be good this year b/c the Qb position is below par and there is no star rb or wrs. The offense is very mediocre. Prior ro the Bama game, the defense has carried the team giving up the fewest points in the SEC since Auburn1988. So, a slug fest it should be.

But, Bill O'Brien just gave college football a blue print on how to shred them. So, nobody is sure what to expect from UGA right now.
But MI doesn't have Young, Metchie and Williams to do that shredding.

You could see the shock on the UGA players' faces, they were more surprised than the fans. And Bama made it look too easy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Georgia and Cincy advance.
Georgia is the best team this year and truly focused they'll stop the Mich run game; and Cincy has a superior defense to Bama which allows it to advance.
Georgia over Cincy in the Final in an ugly slugfest with arguably the best 2 defenses in college football.
Cincy has an insanely good secondary and we know how good the Georgia D is up front.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Georgia and Cincy advance.
Georgia is the best team this year and truly focused they'll stop the Mich run game; and Cincy has a superior defense to Bama which allows it to advance.
Georgia over Cincy in the Final in an ugly slugfest with arguably the best 2 defenses in college football.
Cincy has an insanely good secondary and we know how good the Georgia D is up front.
Would love that outcome, but assume it'll be Georgia vs Bama

reddyuta

Reaction score
Who you got? I have UGA in a re-match of the SEC title game. I think UGA's defense read too many of its own headlines. I expect them to be fired up for this playoff. Bama is good but they aren't as good as they looked Saturday, and they lost Metchie for the rest of the year which is a blow to a young wr core.

bama has a huge QB advantage and they will win a rematch.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Clemson pulling away from Iowa State.

I suspect the defense is in good hands with Wes Goodwin--who was Venables right-hand man and is considered a budding star.
The claim it took about 30 seconds to decide he was the guy...a total no-brainer. Players love him

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never bet against Bama in the playoffs. They have the best QB and receiver duo in college ball and even good defenses like CIN and UGA struggle to handle them.

CIN is the emotional favorite for everyone not a fan of the other 3 teams and it would be nice to see a team wreck the frame work but they got the toughest draw in their first game. Saban knows they're the dark horse favorite and he will use that as motivation. If they can beat Bama, I like their chances to take either UGA or MI. The challenge is coming back to the same level they did to slay the dragon, which would be the biggest win in their history.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Clemson pulling away from Iowa State.

I suspect the defense is in good hands with Wes Goodwin--who was Venables right-hand man and is considered a budding star.
The claim it took about 30 seconds to decide he was the guy...a total no-brainer. Players love him
Iowa State was just devoid of offensive talent.
Clemson is mostly in the same boat thus the 20-13 win.
But Clemson has been an uber elite and can continue to dominate the ACC then walk into the CFP so long as they get transfers in for that offense.
They need a QB and some WRs.
But there are about 5 QBs in the portal who would immediately boost them.
I am surprised they didn't get Rattler.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Never bet against Bama in the playoffs. They have the best QB and receiver duo in college ball and even good defenses like CIN and UGA struggle to handle them.

CIN is the emotional favorite for everyone not a fan of the other 3 teams and it would be nice to see a team wreck the frame work but they got the toughest draw in their first game. Saban knows they're the dark horse favorite and he will use that as motivation. If they can beat Bama, I like their chances to take either UGA or MI. The challenge is coming back to the same level they did to slay the dragon, which would be the biggest win in their history.
Bama is BY FAR the most overrated team in the country.
I watched them play Arkansas, Auburn and TAMU.
That QB and WR was duds in those games for 3 quarters.
Went up tempo a bit and got going.
Bama has a ton of talent but they are not nearly as good on defense as they have been and the offenses is super inconsistent.

Cincy has arguably the best DB group in college football.
This should be fairly low scoring through 3 quarters but I think Cincy wins it.