Twitter: Collins worked at LG today/talks returning to the Cowboys

Proximo

Reaction score
He’s certainly saying all the right things.

If my memory is correct, he was a beast for us at LG for a hot minute. Hopefully he can get back to that if we need him to play.

Also saw it mentioned in the other thread that he’s in surprisingly good shape.

Fingers crossed this could be a rare retread that actually works out for us.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He’s certainly saying all the right things.

If my memory is correct, he was a beast for us at LG for a hot minute. Hopefully he can get back to that if we need him to play.

Also saw it mentioned in the other thread that he’s in surprisingly good shape.

Fingers crossed this could be a rare retread that actually works out for us.
With the injuries he has had, which have probably sapped some mobility, guard might be the best place for him. More limited side-to-side movement than at tackle. Seems to have been called because of concerns over Tyler's injury.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
Question: could Collins be a long-term solution at LG, if the Cowboys move Tyler Smith to LT next year?

Of course, no one knows at this point, but it is an intriguing question. I always believed Collins was more suited to play LG than RT in his first stint in Dallas.
What sounds better, moving Tyler to LT and letting Bass and Collins compete for LG, or staying the course with Tyler inside and praying that Tyron stays healthy with a journeyman backing him up?
I kinda think the first option.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Question: could Collins be a long-term solution at LG, if the Cowboys move Tyler Smith to LT next year?

Of course, no one knows at this point, but it is an intriguing question. I always believed Collins was more suited to play LG than RT in his first stint in Dallas.
What was interesting about the interview was hearing him say "the knee is fine", and not even mention the hip.
If he's beyond the hip issues, he becomes a legitimate long term possibility.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score

I think that's the real plan but no one wants to get that far ahead. I think he signs the futures contract after the season and he'll go into next year as the starting left guard. And don't be surprised to see TJ bass as your starting center next year.

SoCalBoy

Reaction score
Awesome to hear the Cowboys are practicing La'el Collins at Left Guard in case Tyler Smith can't go because of his recent fully torn plantar fascia. If La'el's knee holds up and he is able to move and push on it well, La'el should be a very good backup fit to Tyler inside at Left Guard. Pretty sure La'el could play either of the Tackle positions if needed as well. Just imagining La'el and Tyron Smith lined up together on the left side should seriously help the run game. As long as La'el's knee holds up, this was a good pickup to bring La'el back.

PS: Now only if the Patriots were to suddenly fire Zeke? We sure could use him here in short yardage situations, along with inside the Red Zone at the goal line and backfield pass protection.
If Tyler Smith can't play TJ bass will play that has already been decided. Lael is only break glass in case of emergency