Colombo back as O-Line Coach

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Maybe he's good. Maybe he's ok.

Maybe he's not. Maybe he's just another part of the Cowboy family, another "good enough".

I don't see how we can tell.

On the bright side, I have a lot of trust in the pro bowl trio to coach themselves and each other. And Colombo has been here with them for years. He may be just the right guy to keep what's working going. Unlike a guy from elsewhere, he won't feel the need to rock the boat and bring in his own technique from elsewhere.

Alexander should have looked for ways to augment what was already working, instead of upend it. As Garrett should have made clear to him on his interview, and thereafter, if necessary. Bringing in a guy with Alexander's experience is really the ideal, *if* you use him right. Which we didn't. Colombo just doesn't have his experience.

I always liked Colombo as a player, and he has always seemed like a stand up guy. But really, how many teams would hire him as their oline coach? I'm thinking not many.

Linehan is the worst, and Moore and Colombo are the hometown former player hires. At least Sanjay had some experience and respect elsewhere. But I'm not seeing a dream team. I'm seeing more "good enough", "we like our guys". I do feel better about Colombo than Moore, but that's a pretty low bar to clear.

I worry that he was hired much in the same way I'm thinking about him now. "At I like him."

http://www.5pointsblue.com/5-things-to-know-about-marc-colombo/
Colombo Has Been Working His Way Up the Coaching Ladder

Although he retired as a player following the 2012 season, Colombo re-joined the Cowboys in 2014 as an assistant in the personnel department/scouting.

In 2015, he was named ‘Offensive Assistant Coach’ and helped Frank Pollack who had taken over as offensive line coach from Bill Callahan. In 2016, Colombo was officially named Assistant Offensive Line coach and worked two more seasons under Pollack. He began the 2018 season working under Paul Alexander and now takes over for Alexander in Week 9 of the regular season.​

John813

Reaction score
Zeke and Rod are both regressing. Not sure if it's Brown or not, but it's a worrisome trend.

Regressing in what way, homerun plays?

Stats wise, Zeke had his best year, total yardage wise.
2,001 yards through the ground and air game.
His rookie year was 1,994 yards.

2016 he ran behind the best line in football and opposing coaches were working on limited tape on both him and Dak.

Now, there's 2-3 years of tape, reading tendencies, and a worse offensive line.No more Leary and Frederick for this year. Two road graders gone.
Defenses until Cooper came here sold out for Zeke. I mean Swaim, Hurns and Williams were not going to scare a DB in a wheelchair.

I think he lost some top end speed, but did he bulk up since his rookie year?

I can't comment on Rod, but he to me is JAG here that can do it all at an ok level.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
??? Imo, He was a decent O line coach for us. There seem to be quite a few NFL O-line coaches looking around and moving to different jobs right now. Callahan happens to be one of them. The way he left here, I doubt he will ever want to come back here.

I would agree. Callahan was an awful HC at Nebraska, but he did a good job for us as O-line coach.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Regressing in what way, homerun plays?

Stats wise, Zeke had his best year, total yardage wise.
2,001 yards through the ground and air game.
His rookie year was 1,994 yards.

2016 he ran behind the best line in football and opposing coaches were working on limited tape on both him and Dak.

Now, there's 2-3 years of tape, reading tendencies, and a worse offensive line.No more Leary and Frederick for this year. Two road graders gone.
Defenses until Cooper came here sold out for Zeke. I mean Swaim, Hurns and Williams were not going to scare a DB in a wheelchair.

I think he lost some top end speed, but did he bulk up since his rookie year?

I can't comment on Rod, but he to me is JAG here that can do it all at an ok level.

Total yardage really doesn't mean anything, but watching Zeke you can tell he leaves yards on the field that he hadn't in prior years. And as you highlighted Zeke only had 7 more yards despite having 45 more(almost three times) receptions than his rookie season. Maybe preserving his body for contract reasons?

Now the running back position is the easiest transition from college to pros, so likely there isn't much coaching to be done. But Rod was actually a capable back last season showing his receiving chops, and averaging more yards per carry than Zeke behind a worse Oline than Zeke last year. Now Rod gets on the field and it's pretty much a given his rush attempt won't be successful.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have anything against Colombo but I think they should have talked to a few candidates before making a decision.

A part of me understands this, but a part of me also knows they have direct experience with Colombo that they wouldn't have with other candidates, and presumably they have seen a positive impact. .

Kaiser

Reaction score
Also the idea that some throw around about no one wanting to work for Jerry is utter crap. There is and always has been more talent than job openings. Its also worth note that succeeding in Dallas puts a massive spotlight on you (see Richard.)

Totally agree, we aren't bringing in a new OC as a complete teardown, LInehan himself was brought in as a signal caller without being given the OC title. And unless its a guy like Kubiak, its unlikely they have - or want - their own guys that are better than Columbo and Sanjay Lal.

@TheDude called Columbo coming back, I wasn't sure but they moved quickly to keep him.

And the "no one works for Jerry" is a joke, Linehan himself was sought after when he washed out a HC gig, Marinelli and Richard were highly sought after also.

Reactions: CWR

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A part of me understands this, but a part of me also knows they have direct experience with Colombo that they wouldn't have with other candidates, and presumably they have seen a positive impact. .

You're talking about a group of guys who had to fire their newly hired OL coach after 6 games. I'm not sure we should just blindly trust their judgement.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I don't have anything against Colombo but I think they should have talked to a few candidates before making a decision.
They probably panicked thinking the Dolphins would grab him once Flores took over.

Sydla

Reaction score
That's a good point.

How do you bring back your OL coach if you're not sure the OC is coming back?

Because everything is viewed individually in a vacuum with Jerry.

Think back to the OL coach we just fired. They raves about his bonafides and reputation then it comes out when he gets fired that his style and philosophies didn’t fit with what the OC wanted and what the OL has been taught the previous few years.

In other words, they hired a OL coach because people said he was good without even wondering if schematically, philosophically and personality wise “fit” with the staff. Basically, Jerry believes if he’s the one putting it together it’s gonna work.

And yet there are still guys around here who don’t understand just how dysfunctional this franchise is.