RELEASED Colombo out; Joe Philbin expected to reunite with McCarthy to coach OL

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Maybe. I hope not. I think it says he saw what Kellen did here last year and wants him to be his OC.

I think he's taking Kellen Moore under his wing. What if it turns out that Kellen turns out to be another Sean Payton? Cuz I really like what MM is doing, and i think he sees Kellen as someone who needs teaching. And he seems to be a teacher like Parcells was.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Try that on for size. I think we can do it with MM. I'm really enjoying this process. Quick, and with chaps that know what they're doing.
Excited to see JJ let a HC do his own thing. Hoping he don’t meddle in it to much. With our current team we should make the playoffs his first year.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Try that on for size. I think we can do it with MM. I'm really enjoying this process. Quick, and with chaps that know what they're doing.

No I'm done buying into false hype. The couching staff is more experienced but underwelmingly still not great. More importantly we have 26fa. Who ends up starting on the back end of this defense will determine it's success. As of now we might beat the skins but that's it in our division.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colombo didn't impress me but I don't know about Philbin. The only good thing is it clearly comes from the head coach.

jnday

Reaction score
yeah. Let’s get rid of the offensive coaches.

that #1 ranking sucks.

next season, we can be #2
Exactly how many meaningful games did those numbers one offense stats win this year? Those stats couldn’t even beat a team with a winning record. Meaningless stats is not the foundation to build an argument .

eromeopolk

Reaction score

If this is true, I am warming up to the "McCarthy Hearings" in Dallas. I did not like hearing about Kellen Moore but that is because Jerry Jones has him as the new Jason Garrett who was supposed to be the next Tom Landry.

Iowa was an OL factory to the NFL during Philbin time under Kirk Ferentz who has ties to Belichick in Cleveland. He also has a very good OL coach track record in the NFL. I am starting to put the pieces together.

quickccc

Reaction score
Ew.

Not a fan of Philbin, but that comes from his time in Miami.

PS, this should end all talk if Jerry is running the show for hiring asst coaches.

totally agree.

- I dunno if it was the work of Philbin or the other guy in mention Campben, ..but I've been impressed with the way GB had managed to keep their OL glued and still operational
when the injury bug hits ,.. and it was often a top notch pass blocking unit.

- And looking back at GB video clips, it is looking like it is gonna be a ton of positioning, trapping and pulling in both vs pass and run than what was under Columbo.

- and I loved Columbo as an OL coach, (the only assistant I'm regretting being let go) who I thought as one of the better OL coaches in the NFL. But it's a familiarity decision and McCarthy flat out wanted to hit the ground running without a new and learning curve vs Columbo.

- when we played Rodgers we have always had issues getting the needed pass rush heat vs Packers OL. so considering all of this I cannot imagine the OL was poorly coached.

quickccc

Reaction score
Philbin can teach the Olineman how to hold and get away with it. There is a YouTube video out about the technique he teaches the lineman

so long as it's not another blended version of the poorly advised " high-low' technique that fired ex OL coach Paul Alexander tried to enforce with this OL.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
Is Philbin a zone blocking scheme guy like Frank Verducci and Paul Alexander? or a man up scheme guy like Bill Callahan, Hudson Houck, and Tony Sparano?

Rayman70

Reaction score
philbin isn't married to any certain scheme. He adjusts depending on the team we are playing. Imagine that A COACH that makes in game adjustments.