Colt McCoy

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
When Colt was a freshman, setting records for UT, I started contemplating him eventually winding up a Cowboy, and got giddy... my plan was for Jerry to draft him two years from now, let him back up Romo for a couple-three years, then eventually be the heir apparent...

Then he regressed last year... started making the mistakes he did not make as a freshman... and I wondered if he was a flash in the pan... I told myself that he needed to bounce back big this year, or he'd wind up a 6th round pick in 2010...

Well, friends, he's gotten off to a heckuva start... yesterday against Florida Atlantic, we saw the old Colt, as he joined Vince Young as only the second UT quarterback to have multiple games of 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing...

He went 20 of 24 (two of the incompletions were drops), for 223 yards, 3 TDs and no ints... he also led the team in rushing, with 103 yards on 12 carries, and another TD...

Most impressive of all was his toughness; FAU was flagged for hitting him late 3 different times, and he just bounced back up, and made 'em pay...

OK, the level of competition wasn't Big XII, but this was a terrific game, and a good omen for Colt and the Horns... 326 yards of total offense, on 36 plays, it's tough to beat that...

WDN

Benched
Reaction score
silverbear;2226821 said:
Well, friends, he's gotten off to a heckuva start... yesterday against Florida Atlantic, .

I should hope that he would look good against Florida Atlantic.

silverbear

Reaction score
Updating Colt's progress this year, tonight he went up against my old school, UTEP, down in the Sun Bowl... the Horns won 42-13 (even though UTEP actually outgained them, 405 yards to 402), and Colt went 20 for 30, 281 yards, 4 TDs and 1 int, his first of the year... he wasn't nearly as effective on the ground as he was the first game, he just had 6 yards on 5 carries...

So after two games, his numbers look like this:

59 attempts, 44 completions (74.6%), for 503 yards (8.5 YPA), 7 TDs, 1 int... throw in 109 yards rushing on 17 carries (6.4 YPA) and another TD, and he totals out to 76 plays for 612 yards and 8 TDs in two games... that's 306 yards per game of total offense, and 8.1 yards per play...

And oh yeah, his quarterback rating now stands at 182.0 for the year... that'll do...

I especially like the TDs to ints ratio... but again, I recognize that so far, the schedule hasn't been too demanding...

As for the Horns as a team, they're not doing much in the running game so far, and they're giving up too many yards... at the same time, their defense hasn't really been all that bad; they've allowed 181 yards rushing on 54 carries, and no TDs, a 3.4 ypc average, and have given up 42 completions on 81 attempts, for 516 yards, with 2 TDs allowed and 1 int... that's a 51.9 completion percentage, and a 6.4 yards per attempt average, both of which are quite acceptable...

I'm concerned about the running game, and still slightly concerned about the defense... I don't think it's as bad as last year's was, but it's still not quite up to snuff...

But my boy Colt, he's back to being the baby-faced killer he was as a freshman, at least so far...

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I think Colt has played well all three years at Texas. His drop off last year was mainly due to the fact that our OL was not very good. Lots of injuries on the OL, WRs and lots of injuries Colt played through last year. I like Colt McCoy and I would not be surprised to see him taken as a starter by somebody once it's all said and done with. I hope we are lucky enough to get him as a back up. I'm not certain that we will thou.

cowboysfan31

Reaction score
His McNabb impersonation vs. UTEP was pretty impressive. He looked good for playing in a hostile road environment early in the season.

ABQcowboyJR

Reaction score
Gotta love the heart of that kid. My favorite QB in college right now.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Colt sucked against A&M his freshman year.....but that was because of the injury in the KSt game. Had the refs done the right thing and called Selvin Young's run a TD on 3rd down, Colt would have not had to do the QB sneak for the TD on 4th down. Thus he would not have injured himself and who knows how the rest of that game turns out.....and the A&M game after.

BTW, just think, Barber could have gotten injured instead of scoring the TD, on the play after the refs didnt even review the Romo to TO pass, that was actually a TD. Thankfully Barber didn't get hurt.

Back to Colt....other than KSt and A&M, Colt has been quite dominant. Yes he frustrates me at times, but the kid has moxie and spunk. He is tough. I hope he comes back for his senior year....I would hate for this to be the last year of the Colt Express.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I like Colt McCoy, but he does not look like a pro prospect to me. Even as a potential back up. He is a good college QB and is probably the strength of his team. They will need much more than just him to win a Big XII title and I don't see that happening this season.

A play that Colt runs and has success with is when he scrambles to his right and then lofts the ball slightly back to the left to a receiver dragging across the field. I have seen him do that multiple times with great success. He has thrown several TDs doing it. I don't see that working in the NFL.

I doubt he is truly 6'-2". He has average arm strength at best. He does not have a quick release. He gets a lot of passes batted down at the line. Gregg Davis and Mack Brown do not produce NFL QBs while at Texas, so he probably has a lot to learn or unlearn.

I am being super critical, but I think I am pretty close to being right. If the young man proves me wrong over the next several years I will have no problems with that. I wish him well. I just don't see it.

YoungBuck

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2245171 said:
I think Colt has played well all three years at Texas. His drop off last year was mainly due to the fact that our OL was not very good. Lots of injuries on the OL, WRs and lots of injuries Colt played through last year. I like Colt McCoy and I would not be surprised to see him taken as a starter by somebody once it's all said and done with. I hope we are lucky enough to get him as a back up. I'm not certain that we will thou.

I think this is right. We've seen Colt's production is directly related to the play of the OLine. Last season he was running for his life, and this season he's finding all sorts of time.

joseephuss;2247920 said:
I like Colt McCoy, but he does not look like a pro prospect to me. Even as a potential back up. He is a good college QB and is probably the strength of his team. They will need much more than just him to win a Big XII title and I don't see that happening this season.

A play that Colt runs and has success with is when he scrambles to his right and then lofts the ball slightly back to the left to a receiver dragging across the field. I have seen him do that multiple times with great success. He has thrown several TDs doing it. I don't see that working in the NFL.

I doubt he is truly 6'-2". He has average arm strength at best. He does not have a quick release. He gets a lot of passes batted down at the line. Gregg Davis and Mack Brown do not produce NFL QBs while at Texas, so he probably has a lot to learn or unlearn.

I am being super critical, but I think I am pretty close to being right. If the young man proves me wrong over the next several years I will have no problems with that. I wish him well. I just don't see it.

I think you're right. Even if he had four years like his freshman season he's still just Jason White or Ken Dorsey. Great college QB, but because he doesn't have the "NFL tools" he doesn't make a great NFL QB.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
IMO, McCoy is slightly more talented than Applewhite, mainly because of his mobility and natural gifts. But unless his next 2 seasons are just lights-out, he won't be given much of a look by NFL scouts.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He also throws a pretty accurate sprint out to his left. I don't think he has a problem with his velocity or arm strength. Every body, including me, doubted Romo's arm strength when he first got to the Pro Game. I still don't believe he has an exceptional arm. However, he does see things others do not. I think McCoy has a little bit of this in him as well.

I would not be surprised if he got drafted but it is certainly not a given. I'm pulling for him.

jimmy40

Reaction score
silverbear;2226821 said:
When Colt was a freshman, setting records for UT, I started contemplating him eventually winding up a Cowboy, and got giddy... my plan was for Jerry to draft him two years from now, let him back up Romo for a couple-three years, then eventually be the heir apparent...

Then he regressed last year... started making the mistakes he did not make as a freshman... and I wondered if he was a flash in the pan... I told myself that he needed to bounce back big this year, or he'd wind up a 6th round pick in 2010...

Well, friends, he's gotten off to a heckuva start... yesterday against Florida Atlantic, we saw the old Colt, as he joined Vince Young as only the second UT quarterback to have multiple games of 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing...

He went 20 of 24 (two of the incompletions were drops), for 223 yards, 3 TDs and no ints... he also led the team in rushing, with 103 yards on 12 carries, and another TD...

Most impressive of all was his toughness; FAU was flagged for hitting him late 3 different times, and he just bounced back up, and made 'em pay...

OK, the level of competition wasn't Big XII, but this was a terrific game, and a good omen for Colt and the Horns... 326 yards of total offense, on 36 plays, it's tough to beat that...

I think Garrett Gilbert will be much better.

J-Skip

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2245171 said:
I hope we are lucky enough to get him as a back up. I'm not certain that we will thou.

I like McCoy too, but you're right. However, the cowboys do need a young fresh backup QB instead of the aging Johnson. It would be no slight to Romo if we picked up a young guy early strictly for youthful backup purposes.

silverbear

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2245171 said:

Even with the problems you right note on the OL, he threw way too many picks last year... his decision making was not good, period...

I wonder if the int he threw against UTEP was another bad decision, a mistake by his receiver, or just a great play by the defense...

silverbear

Reaction score
YoungBuck;2248390 said:
I think this is right. We've seen Colt's production is directly related to the play of the OLine. Last season he was running for his life, and this season he's finding all sorts of time.

I think you're right. Even if he had four years like his freshman season he's still just Jason White or Ken Dorsey. Great college QB, but because he doesn't have the "NFL tools" he doesn't make a great NFL QB.

I just don't see that he's lacking those "NFL tools"... his arm strength is as good as Romo's, for example... when he's playing well, he makes good, smart decisions...

silverbear

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;2248691 said:
He also throws a pretty accurate sprint out to his left. I don't think he has a problem with his velocity or arm strength. Every body, including me, doubted Romo's arm strength when he first got to the Pro Game. I still don't believe he has an exceptional arm. However, he does see things others do not. I think McCoy has a little bit of this in him as well.

I would not be surprised if he got drafted but it is certainly not a given. I'm pulling for him.

That's pretty much how I see him too... well said...

silverbear

Reaction score
J-Skip;2249372 said:
I like McCoy too, but you're right. However, the cowboys do need a young fresh backup QB instead of the aging Johnson. It would be no slight to Romo if we picked up a young guy early strictly for youthful backup purposes.

Assuming Colt stays in school after this season, which I think is likely, I'm looking at Chase Holbrook from New Mexico State in the 6th round range in the next draft... he's put up Colt Brennan-esque numbers for a lousy NMSU team, and unlike Brennan, he has NFL size-- 6-5, 245 pounds...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
silverbear;2249488 said:
Assuming Colt stays in school after this season, which I think is likely, I'm looking at Chase Holbrook from New Mexico State in the 6th round range in the next draft... he's put up Colt Brennan-esque numbers for a lousy NMSU team, and unlike Brennan, he has NFL size-- 6-5, 245 pounds...

how is his mobility? he is one big dude, but is he another Bledsoe (a statue from the waist down).

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
what about a certain QB who had it made at OU, messed up, and ended up at Sam Houston State?

silverbear

Reaction score
Biggems;2251398 said:
how is his mobility? he is one big dude, but is he another Bledsoe (a statue from the waist down).

He's rather Bledsoe-esque... runs like a 5.1 40... but he seems to have one trait that Bledsoe lacked, he gets rid of the ball quickly... he has to, working behind NMSU's offensive line...