hell, he's a Romo clone except he can run the ball
[youtube]tLJPU6qoU6Y[/youtube]
I don't think so.......

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Colt is one of those players IMO is nowhere as good as many Texas fans think, but is also nowhere near as bad as some others think.

He could be developed into a decent QB imo. I don't know if he will ever be a franchise QB but I would imagine at worst he could be a decent journeymen back up type of QB.

Shady12

Reaction score
All depends on how he measures and looks throwing for scouts. If he's really 6'2" and shows adequate arm strength he could be a late first rounder. If not he could fall quite a bit. Best case I can see him being similar to Romo in style of play, I don't think Romo is really quite 6'2", both have similar pocket mobility and ability to extend plays and make plays downfield after escaping the pocket, with Colt having more actual speed. I think his arm is plenty adequate, the question for me is his deep/intermediate accuracy which is inconsistent..but hard to tell because they don't throw beyond 10 yards often.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
I don't want McCoy all you UT homers will be crying put in Colt if Romo has a bad game

NO way do I waste a draft pick on him

Todd McShay said that McCoy, with work, might make a good back up QB. 90 % of his throws go less than 5 yards and his completion rate on longer passes is near the bottom of all college QB's.

Todd McShay also said today that he would take him in the 2nd round and he would struggle to be a backup. Mel Kiper called him on it and said "why take him in the 2nd round if you think he won't survive as a backup?"

if we draft a QB it should be

Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan Height: 6-3. Weight: 226.

Is Dan LeFevour a potential middle-round steal?

For those of you that partook in Wednesday night’s MAC football matchup between Toledo and Central Michigan, you had to be impressed from what you saw out of senior quarterback Dan LeFevour.
LeFevour completed 29-of-36 pass attempts for 341 yards and two touchdowns in the Chippewas’ 56-28 rout of the Rockets. He also rushed 14 times for 19 yards with a whopping four touchdowns, which was rather Tim Tebow-esqe.

LeFevour doesn’t get as much press as fellow quarterback prospects Tebow, Colt McCoy, and Sam Bradford because of the conference he plays in. Hell, he even takes a back seat to Cincinnati’s Tony Pike on Mel Kiper’s list of top senior prospects at the quarterback position.

But the kid is good – real good.

Now, I admit that I’m biased because I went to CMU. But it’s hard not to appreciate what LeFevour can do when you watch him. He has great size at 6-3, 238-pounds, can run, can throw with accuracy, and has demonstrated excellent leadership. He was the 2006 MAC Freshman of the Year, the MVP for the 2006 Motor City Bowl and the 2007 MAC Championship Game and was the 2007 MAC Offensive Player of the Year.

You might be thinking, “MAC football? Wow, who cares…” But don’t forget that Ben Roethlisberger is a product of the MAC, as is Chad Pennington. While not quarterbacks, Randy Moss, Joshua Cribbs, Lance Moore and a host of others also played in the MAC, so it’s clear that the conference is harvesting talent.

Granted, LeFevour does benefit from playing in a college-style offense that allows him to put up gaudy numbers and therefore it might take him awhile to learn a pro system. He also doesn’t throw the prettiest deep ball and his threat as a runner will be neutralized in the NFL because he doesn’t have great top-end speed. But he has the size, strength and durability to play at the next level, is a student of the game and is a winner. He could be a steal in the middle rounds in next April’s draft.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
jimmy40;3187176 said:
hell, he's a Romo clone except he can run the ball
[youtube]tLJPU6qoU6Y[/youtube]

Far from a Romo clone, but a great backup to Romo with a similar ability to extend plays.

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3187072 said:
That is what I have seen. I think there are questions about arm strength and well as size. I think Colt could be a steal in this draft for someone late in the draft.

I don't know where you saw that, Dooms, but I'd doubt the credibility of that source...

My favorite draft source, after years of prowling online draft websites, is NFL Draft Scout... they have McCoy as their 11th rated senior, and a first or second round pick...

My second favorite draft source, Scott Wright's NFL Draft Countdown, has Colt as their 31st rated pick, and once again, a first or second round pick... Great Blue North rates him rated 14th, and a likely first round pick... NFL Draft Dog has him going in the second round in their mock... Draft King has him rated 12th, and a first rounder... and Fantasy Football toolbox ranks him 18th... of the websites I prowl, only Walter's Football Site (which does not have great credibility with me) doesn't have him going in even the first 3 rounds of their mock...

The consensus seems to be that Colt will be drafted somewhere in the second round, and he might sneak into the late first... that sounds about right to me... off his college production, he should rate higher, but there are concerns that he lacks top arm strength, and that might push him down a LITTLE...

But I have seen Colt play in at least 20 games over the last 2 years, and his arm strength isn't THAT bad... I believe that to be successful in the NFL, he needs to go to a West Coast offense, so I'm not as excited about trying to get him into a Cowboys uniform as I once was, but I think that in that sort of offense, he'll be fairly successful...

silverbear

Reaction score
jimmy40;3187130 said:
Sounds like Shipley is the guy to draft.

He'd be PERFECT for the Boys, and a dangerous weapon from the slot from day one...

Dallas has a nice collection of big wideouts with some game, what they lack is the slightly smaller, quicker receiver with speed... Jordan's not a world-class sprinter, but he's plenty fast...

To me, he's a poor man's Wes Welker...

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
silverbear;3187810 said:
He'd be PERFECT for the Boys, and an dangerous weapon from the slot from day one...

Dallas has a nice collection of big wideouts with some game, what they lack is the slightly smaller, quicker receiver with speed... Jordan's not a world-class sprinter, but he's plenty fast...

To me, he's a poor man's Wes Welker...

Shipley is the ONLY WR in the 2010 draft I like.

silverbear

Reaction score
dbair1967;3187145 said:
Glad you arnt running things at VR then.

McCoy has almost zero ability to throw the ball downfield. He's be basically useless here.

Before I attempt a rebuttal to this misguided opinion, I'd like to first say that you're one of the posters in here whose opinions I most respect... as far as I'm concerned, you know your football...

But that said, I don't know WHAT the hell you're talking about here... it is true that Colt threw the ball short a lot this year, the Horns basically replaced their almost nonexistent running game with the short passing game...

But even so, let's review the last 2 years and 26 games... in that time, Colt has 35 completions of 30 yards or longer, 20 of which went for TDs... he has SEVEN completions of over SIXTY yards... that's 7 gains of 60 plus in 26 games...

Admittedly, some of these came on run after the catch, but not all of them... the Horns asked Colt to throw short a lot, but he consistently threw the ball downfield to keep opponents off-balance (more than 2 completions a game for 30 yards or longer)...

I don't know what your bias is against Colt, I don't recall you being one of the mindless Horns haters... but the truth is he's very, very accurate, he's quite mobile in the pocket and a threat to run the ball if the play breaks down, and yes, he has demonstrated the ability to throw the ball downfield... he's no Clint Longley "Mad Bomber", but he can get the ball downfield if you give him receivers who get open downfield...

His only shot is in somebody's WC offense type system,

I don't know about his "only" shot, but I agree completely that it's his BEST shot to succeed in the NFL... which is why he's no longer as high on my Cowboys wish list as he once was...

and even then I dont believe hes going to be any good.

And I don't have the first clue why you're so convinced of that... I mean, how many teams in the NFL base their offense on the deep ball these days??

silverbear

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3187817 said:
Shipley is the ONLY WR in the 2010 draft I like.

Oh, I think Dez Bryant is gonna be a really good receiver, but he'll be off the board before the Boys pick in the first... I also like Jacoby Ford's speed a lot, and later in the draft, say round 5 or 6, I'd be happy to take a flyer on Taylor Price from Ohio...

Shipley is my favorite, just 'cause I'm a Horns fan, LOL...

silverbear

Reaction score
UnoDallas;3187584 said:
I don't want McCoy all you UT homers will be crying put in Colt if Romo has a bad game

NO way do I waste a draft pick on him

Todd McShay said that McCoy, with work, might make a good back up QB. 90 % of his throws go less than 5 yards

I doubt that it's 90 per cent, but he does throw short a lot... however, this is because of the Horns' offense, not because he's incapable of throwing deep... they've been using the short passing game as a substitute for their running game, which is not particularly good... most of those passes are quick passes, hitch patterns and bubble screens and the like, not McCoy holding the ball and then checking down to the outlet receiver (which would be an indication of subpar arm strength, otherwise known as Brad Johnson Syndrome)...

and his completion rate on longer passes is near the bottom of all college QB's.

You're gonna have to document that claim, 'cause I don't believe it...

Todd McShay also said today that he would take him in the 2nd round and he would struggle to be a backup. Mel Kiper called him on it and said "why take him in the 2nd round if you think he won't survive as a backup?"

Yeah, that sounds like Todd's talking out of both sides of his mouth to me, too... you don't draft a QB in the second round if you think he's not even a good bet to be a quality backup...

Frankly, McShay is not one of my favorite draft gurus...

if we draft a QB it should be

Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan Height: 6-3. Weight: 226.

I like him... but really, I don't see the need for the Boys to use any of their 6 picks on a QB this year... I'm content to go with Romo, Kitna and McGee for another season... with only 6 picks, you need to address other issues in this draft...

If you're looking for a 4th quarterback for camp, look for another Romo, a passer who might go undrafted... I'm thinking Zac Robinson from Oklahoma State (who might be drafted late, or might not), Matt Nichols from quarterback factory Eastern Washington (12,600 career passing yards and 96 career TD passes), Nick Graziano from Arkansas Tech (over 4300 yards passing this past season, with 38 TDs) or Bradley George from Texas State (6 feet, 6 inches tall, he passed for over 9500 yards and 91 TDs in his college career)...

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
oh I would never Draft him

I was just saying he will be the best QB outta this class - IMO

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
UnoDallas;3188081 said:
oh I would never Draft him

I was just saying he will be the best QB outta this class - IMO

Second'd, Bradford will be a bust, Mallett will be a bust, Tebow won't be a successful QB.

McCoy and Clausen will be the only only successful ones.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
silverbear;3187845 said:
But that said, I don't know WHAT the hell you're talking about here... it is true that Colt threw the ball short a lot this year, the Horns basically replaced their almost nonexistent running game with the short passing game...

Its looked like the same passing game for several seasons to me, pretty much all short dinky stuff. Its another reason I think he's gonna struggle alot, QB's from spread offense/glorified run and shoot schemes take alot of time to transition to the NFL. Has McCoy ever taken a snap from under center at Texas?

But even so, let's review the last 2 years and 26 games... in that time, Colt has 35 completions of 30 yards or longer, 20 of which went for TDs... he has SEVEN completions of over SIXTY yards... that's 7 gains of 60 plus in 26 games...

Admittedly, some of these came on run after the catch, but not all of them... the Horns asked Colt to throw short a lot, but he consistently threw the ball downfield to keep opponents off-balance (more than 2 completions a game for 30 yards or longer)...

I would say the vast majority of them were long runs after short completions.

I don't know what your bias is against Colt, I don't recall you being one of the mindless Horns haters... but the truth is he's very, very accurate, he's quite mobile in the pocket and a threat to run the ball if the play breaks down, and yes, he has demonstrated the ability to throw the ball downfield... he's no Clint Longley "Mad Bomber", but he can get the ball downfield if you give him receivers who get open downfield...

No bias against him, honestly I dont think there's much at QB in this draft elsewhere either. My issues with McCoy are his size, lack of arm strength and style of offense he's played in.

And I don't have the first clue why you're so convinced of that... I mean, how many teams in the NFL base their offense on the deep ball these days??

Probably not many, but the threat has to be there, and I dont think he offers much of that threat. And it isnt just "deep" balls I think he's gonna struggle with, its the routes in that 15-20-25 yd area, the "stick" type throws. He doesnt have the velocity needed IMO to make alot of those throws.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3187191 said:
Colt is one of those players IMO is nowhere as good as many Texas fans think, but is also nowhere near as bad as some others think.

He could be developed into a decent QB imo. I don't know if he will ever be a franchise QB but I would imagine at worst he could be a decent journeymen back up type of QB.

As a Longhorns fan I agree. I like Colt and I think he has been a great college QB. I have some questions and doubts about this ability at the next level and the same goes for Tebow and Bradford. I think taking any of these guys high in the draft is a big risk however late in the draft I think Colt would be worth taking a chance on.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Shady12;3187563 said:
All depends on how he measures and looks throwing for scouts. If he's really 6'2" and shows adequate arm strength he could be a late first rounder. If not he could fall quite a bit. Best case I can see him being similar to Romo in style of play, I don't think Romo is really quite 6'2", both have similar pocket mobility and ability to extend plays and make plays downfield after escaping the pocket, with Colt having more actual speed. I think his arm is plenty adequate, the question for me is his deep/intermediate accuracy which is inconsistent..but hard to tell because they don't throw beyond 10 yards often.
if he's 6'2" Bradford must be 6'5".

jimmy40

Reaction score
dbair1967;3187184 said:
sure he is...

:rolleyes:
looks just like him in that vid, except Colt can actually run. Let him learn for four years like Romo and maybe he'll be just as good, maybe not.

UnoDallas

Benched
Reaction score
jimmy40;3188868 said:
looks just like him in that vid, except Colt can actually run. Let him learn for four years like Romo and maybe he'll be just as good, maybe not.

well why not give McGhee them 4 years