Colts hiring Eberflus as DC

texbumthelife

Reaction score
No we've all heard of him. This is the part where you lament about what a terrific coach he is even though I havent seen any tangible evidence.

Now Im not saying he isnt a great coach I just haven't figured out why this board loves him so.

So please with all sarcasm aside someone tell me why we are ruing this day.
Dude has had Sean Lee and scraps to work with since he's been here. Then he was hancuffed by the most simple and vanilla of defensive schemes, yet this is the first year the linebacking core hasn't been up to snuff. Not to mention his understanding of fundamentals is so good he's also defensive passing game coordinator.

Either way, you don't let a young, talented guy like him get away so you MAYBE get a one year rental of Marinelli. It makes no damn sense.

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
Dude has had Sean Lee and scraps to work with since he's been here. Then he was hancuffed by the most simple and vanilla of defensive schemes, yet this is the first year the linebacking core hasn't been up to snuff. Not to mention his understanding of fundamentals is so good he's also defensive passing game coordinator.

Either way, you don't let a young, talented guy like him get away so you MAYBE get a one year rental of Marinelli. It makes no damn sense.
If he does good in Indy as DC, couldn't Jones get him back by offering the head coaching position in the future?

CWR

Reaction score

Thanks for answering me. Our pass defense has sickened me for years though and Sean Lee mask this defense as well as Romo masked the offensive ineptness. Hes like having a coach on the field.

Maybe Eberflus is a stud, Im not any more convinced in him than some of the others though. I suppose what makes it challenging is not knowing how much these assistants are handicapped by the coordinators.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Thanks for answering me. Our pass defense has sickened me for years though and Sean Lee mask this defense as well as Romo masked the offensive ineptness. Hes like having a coach on the field.

Maybe Eberflus is a stud, Im not any more convinced in him than some of the others though. I suppose what makes it challenging is not knowing how much these assistants are handicapped by the coordinators.

Defensive passing game coordinator is not remotely the same as coaching the secondary.

CWR

Reaction score
Defensive passing game coordinator is not remotely the same as coaching the secondary.

Well ok but is it not safe to assume that coordinator would have something to do with the lack of a defensive passing game lol?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
If not him, how about Lovie Smith? He seems like a good fit too.

Edit; Well strike that idea, I just googled Lovie Smith and he is a head football coach in college, and is only 2 years in on a 6 year contract.

Lovie Smith would not work for JG. Beneath him.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Well ok but is it not safe to assume that coordinator would have something to do with the lack of a defensive passing game lol?

His job was to coordinate the front seven to the secondary. To make sure they worked cohesively. His job was not to game plan or call plays or in any way coach the secondary. I will also say that, from the moment he got that title, the secondary got continually better and there were far less busted coverages between the linebackers and secondary that plagued this D before then.

Reactions: CWR

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
So I was trying to connect the dots on Eberflus and Mcdaniels.

The best I can come up with is this.

Matt Eberflus played LB at Toledo 1988-1991
Nick Saban was the Head Coach at Toledo in 1990. His roommate in college at Kent State was Gary Pinkel.
Dean Pees was Saban's Defensive Coordinator at Toledo in 1990
Gary Pinkel Succeeded Saban at Toledo in 91 when Saban joined Belichick's staff in Cleveland.
Dean Pees stayed DC under Gary pinkel at Toledo until 1993.

Matt Eberflus became a graduate assistant under Pinkel and Pees in 92 and worked his way onto the staff in 94 as LB coach then DB Coach.

in 2000 Pinkel got hired at Missouri and named Matt Eberflus his Defensive Coordinator. He was the Coordinator/associate head coach until 08.

in 2009 Rob Ryan was hired as Defensive Coordinator in cleveland for new head coach Eric Mangini. Both had previously worked with Bill Belichick in New England.

Now this takes us to His next job with Josh Mcdaniels.

Josh Mcdaniels is also from Ohio like Eberflus. Mcdaniels father Thom, is a legendary High school head coach in Ohio. Nick Saban went to Kent State and later coached there and in 80-81 at Ohio State. Then Saban was in toledo in 90, and in cleveland till 95.

Nick Saban while at michigan state hired Josh mcdaniels in 1999 as a graduate assistant based on knowing his father.

So putting two and two together Mcdaniels knows eberflus via the saban connection essentially but also the Ohio Connection. Mcdaniels had a bunch of Ohio guys on his staff in Denver.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Exactly. Garrett is a joke. Fox would never work for him.

I wonder if Dom Capers will. Dallas interviewed him for a special role in 08 but he removed himself from the offer because of the odd nature of working for Brian Stewart who he had previously worked for capers. Wade didnt want that I guess after stewart spoke up about it. Dallas hired Dave campo instead.

Now, capers is available again and Dallas has positional openings. Whose to say Capers won't come coach the defensive line or secondary here?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We let Eberflus go while we wait on Marinelli to hem and haw over one more year.

The one coach with real credibility and a future around the league is leaving.

Looks like Garrett has successfully cut down another potential contender. Only dead enders are allowed as OCs in this joint.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Now that the Cowboys defense is consistently actually acquiring talented players, the defense has dramatically improved. Coaching turnover is as inevitable as player turnover.

Nothing inevitable about this. Particularly with Marinelli deciding over 1 and 0 years, we could have promoted Eberflus and declared him the DC in waiting, with Marinelli as Assistant HC/DC.

Instead, we're hiring fresh assistants behind a guy who may or may not be here this year, and won't be here next.

The mystery is how the guys at the top are kept on, while all the guys *they hired and managed* get decimated.

star-ving

Reaction score
Worse than this we basically swap our OL coach with Cincy which their running game is trash and the coach Alexander runs a Power scheme, not zone. This team isn't built for power running.

WeaponX

Reaction score
So I was trying to connect the dots on Eberflus and Mcdaniels.

The best I can come up with is this.

Matt Eberflus played LB at Toledo 1988-1991
Nick Saban was the Head Coach at Toledo in 1990. His roommate in college at Kent State was Gary Pinkel.
Dean Pees was Saban's Defensive Coordinator at Toledo in 1990
Gary Pinkel Succeeded Saban at Toledo in 91 when Saban joined Belichick's staff in Cleveland.
Dean Pees stayed DC under Gary pinkel at Toledo until 1993.

Matt Eberflus became a graduate assistant under Pinkel and Pees in 92 and worked his way onto the staff in 94 as LB coach then DB Coach.

in 2000 Pinkel got hired at Missouri and named Matt Eberflus his Defensive Coordinator. He was the Coordinator/associate head coach until 08.

in 2009 Rob Ryan was hired as Defensive Coordinator in cleveland for new head coach Eric Mangini. Both had previously worked with Bill Belichick in New England.

Now this takes us to His next job with Josh Mcdaniels.

Josh Mcdaniels is also from Ohio like Eberflus. Mcdaniels father Thom, is a legendary High school head coach in Ohio. Nick Saban went to Kent State and later coached there and in 80-81 at Ohio State. Then Saban was in toledo in 90, and in cleveland till 95.

Nick Saban while at michigan state hired Josh mcdaniels in 1999 as a graduate assistant based on knowing his father.

So putting two and two together Mcdaniels knows eberflus via the saban connection essentially but also the Ohio Connection. Mcdaniels had a bunch of Ohio guys on his staff in Denver.
How has this not gotten a like yet?

Terrancemcclain

Reaction score
Some very close sources tell me that several names will be brought in to take over as LB's coach and possibly defensive coordinator if Marinelli happens to retire. Greg Ellis, Rolando McClain, and Randy Gregory are all being heavily considered.
Randy Gregory?????? Something tells me he would be way to mellow and distracted:lmao::muttley::muttley:

Terrancemcclain

Reaction score
What about Craig t nelson? He played a football coach in a TV show once and I think a movie. Sounds more than qualified to replace rod if he decides to retire