Columbo / Rivera doing well????

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Columbo is a former first rd pick that was well regarded at the time. It all comes down to whether he can make it all the way back from his injury. If he does he could very well be a long term starter; if not, its not like we used a pick or much money on him.

He was bad before his injury and was NOT a first round talent. The Bears had just cut Blake Brockermeyer and needed a tackle desperately, Columbo was the one that won the lottery that draft day. He sucks, hurt, healthy, he sucks. I will bet you that he wont even be on the team opening day.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
SultanOfSix said:
Actually, I said his age, signing bonus, and length of contract, which are better parameters (which ALL have to do with length of time, like the phrase "short-term, stop gap") than what you provided which were the following:

1) He was an "unknown." Not only is he known by many coaches and players, many teams were pursuing him as has been already proven. It's irrelevant whether he's "unknown" to fans because most of them don't know anything with respect to what is involved in playing offensive line, and many don't even care about who plays on the line. It's also irrelevant because it proves nothing with respect to being a "short-term, stop gap" guy.

2) He is no more than a B-lister because he should have lasted longer on the market. Lasting longer on the market could imply many things: he's not wanted (the complete opposite of what you're suggesting), he's asking for too much money, he is wanted and being pursued by many teams, he's taking along time to decide, etc. Staying on the market for a long time is not conclusive at all when determining whether someone is a "short-term, stop gap" player. It's practically irrelevant.

3) You're usage of "probably" and "maybes" just proves that you really don't know what you're even arguing.

4) The fact that Marcellus Wiley got a four year, $16 million dollar contract proves that he wasn't considered a "short-term, stop gap" solution by the organization. He was a complete bust and didn't even turn out to be the latter. However, that is irrelevant to what he was considered to be.

I get it very well. You really have no argument.

LOL...ok man, this is like trying to convince my 7 year old how important school is. I give up.

I concede that Kosier is going to start here for years to come and make us all forget the name Larry Allen.

JFlgn

Reaction score
Your logic is beyond belief Nova and your blind faith in it is even harder to understand. You are not the end all, be all authority on every player in the NFL. Just because Kyle Kosier is a surprise signing to you doesn't mean he is a nobody and it doesn't mean he is a "stop-gap" player.

He was one bright spot on the Lions offensive line, and it had been reported (not by his agent) that a number of teams would be interested in Kosier. It was clear that he was a target for many teams because he is a talented, young player that can be a mainstay at gaurd.

You were right, the Lions offensive line couldn't protect Harrington...the entire line. While I do think Kyle Kosier is good, I don't think he can block 4 defensive linemen every play. I do, however, think he can do a good job for the Cowboys. That is just my opinion and I am not stating it as fact. A humble statement you should learn.

You did jump on a slippery slope when you said "make us all forget the name Larry Allen." Any astute NFL or Cowboys fan would know that it will be very hard to forget the name Larry Allen because he was one of the best gaurds, if not the best, to ever play the game. Because that is the case, we can't expect Kosier, or anyone else for that matter, to perform to the level that he did in his prime. But LA has dropped off in his age and I can guarantee that Kosier will perform up to par, if not better, with the Larry Allen Cowboys fans have seen the past two years.

Go do some research.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
JFlgn said:
Oh no!! You have a kid Nova?!?! God help her.

thats not cool, I didnt say anything about feeling sorry for your kid because your a dork did I?

lets leave em out of this.

JFlgn

Reaction score
I understand and I apologize. That was a low blow that I shouldn't have said, but I was amazed to find out you were old enough to have a child. Your arguments did not sound like arguments from someone old enough to be the father of a 7-yr-old child. While I do apologize for the low blow, I did notice that you didn't respond to anything else I said in my post. I hope you learned something.

I apologize again and I truly am sorry I made such a rude comment.

bbwlover

Reaction score
BigDave95 said:
Rivera will be much improved this year. He's a proud player and realizes he didn't play well last year. He just didn't have the strength due to his lack of work in the offseason because of the back. I think Cowboy fans will be pleasantly shocked at his high level of play next year.

I wouldn't expect much from Columbo...
Rivera was terrible last year... just hope it was the back. Can't remember all the times I saw him being driven backwards by the DT. If he can play, the way he played two years ago, the line will be improved.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Bottom line was that Columbo was a first rd pick- at the very worst a second rd pick if he had fallen 3 more slots. Still he was considered a top talent. So he has the raw talent if he comes back from the injury.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
LOL...ok man, this is like trying to convince my 7 year old how important school is. I give up.

I concede that Kosier is going to start here for years to come and make us all forget the name Larry Allen.

Once again, you are making irrelevant comparisons to try and support a point that Kosier is a "short-term, stop gap player."

Denigrating Kosier by comparing him to Larry Allen (one of the best guards to ever play the game and a future Hall of Fame member) to prove he's a "short-term, stop gap player" reeks of sheer dogmatism. Not only that, if Kosier's play doesn't make us forget Larry Allen, it's still irrelevant to the point.

I'm not here to fight anyone, but I am here to uphold what I believe to be true. I will weigh the evidence and present it. It's up to you to believe what you want in spite of it.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Bottom line was that Columbo was a first rd pick- at the very worst a second rd pick if he had fallen 3 more slots. Still he was considered a top talent. So he has the raw talent if he comes back from the injury.

So what? Ryan Leaf was a 'top talent', Mike Williams was a 'top talent', Tony Mandarich was a 'top talent'. What does it mean? Nothing at all. Everyone and their mother knows these guys suck at football. Add Columbo on to the list.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Well, it seems that BP, a coach who will one day be in the HOF, disagrees with you. I think I will give him the benefit of the doubt - LIKE I SAID-HE IS NOT COSTING US MUCH. And he could be good. We lose neither serious money or a draft choice in keeping him around for camp. Sounds like a good deal to me.

Cochese

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Well, it seems that BP, a coach who will one day be in the HOF, disagrees with you. I think I will give him the benefit of the doubt - LIKE I SAID-HE IS NOT COSTING US MUCH. And he could be good. We lose neither serious money or a draft choice in keeping him around for camp. Sounds like a good deal to me.
Right, because the other 31 teams in the NFL (including some great coaches) are clueless. BP will agree with me when he sends this scrub home to mamma this summer.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
burmafrd said:

BP also disagreed with me on Al Johnson, Rob Pettite , Steven Petterman, Marco Rivera and now Kyle Kosier.

I win.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Oh you do, do you?
Well we shall see in about 6 months.
And I expect that half of them at least will be good starters.
Because in the end I agree with someone that knows one heck of a lot
MORE about football then you ever will.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
big dog cowboy said:
Hey give NovaCowboy some credit. He is the most negitive poster in here.

Thank you, I could have never accomplished it without having first owned Hostile.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
So there were many teams tripping over themselves tring to sign the guy?

Nova, actually according to ESPN even before we signed him. Their was like 8 or more teams that were lined up tring to sign sign him and really wanted him.