Columbo

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Cowboy4ever;1212564 said:
Again, I go with the Coach on this one, because NO ONE knows the assignments but the player and the coach.. I would think we would have to defer to the people that are in the know rather to people that are speculating. JMO
Fair enough, but that's where you find all the stats if you need them. :)

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Clove;1212549 said:
Technically:

Adams = 6.5 sacks (allowed) 5 penalties 30 yds.
Kosier = 2.5 sacks (allowed) 4 penalties 34 yds.
Gurode = 1 sack (allowed) 4 penalties 40 yds.
Rivera = 2.5 sacks (allowed) 3 penalties 24 yds
Columbo = 4.5 sacks (allowed) 3 penalties 20 yds

I think Columbo's having a heck of a year, and he should only get better.
Technically, those aren't official stats and accordingly don't mean squat. Just because 4.5 sacks have come from outside the RT doesn't mean they're credited towards Colombo. I would wager a good amount that that is their baseline.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
theogt;1212567 said:
Technically, those aren't official stats and accordingly don't mean squat. Just because 4.5 sacks have come from outside the RT doesn't mean they're credited towards Colombo. I would wager a good amount that that is their baseline.
Talk to the stats keeper not me. I guess all the other stats on that page are wrong as well.

sago1

Reaction score
Wow, that's an interesting link to add to my favorites. But despite their listing Colombo with 4.5 sacks, I'm inclined to go with Parcells evaluation of Colombo's performance--since it possible those some of those allegedly on Colombo might be on Riveria or again on Bledsoe.

In any case I think Colombo has come a long way back physically. He's also essentially a rookie this year. He only played a few games as starting RT for the Bears before his knee injury. He spent rest of next few years on IR & PUP before Bears finally cut him just before season opener in 05. He worked real hard to rehab himself this past offseason and get his knee to the point where he could get the job done. But I think he will continue to improve as our starting RT as he moves further away from his injury. Next offseason he can concentrate on getting physically stronger in both upper/lower parts of his body rather then extensive rehab that was necessary.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
CowboyChris;1212486 said:
was listening to Jerry Jones on the ticket, he said "Columbo hasnt given up a sack yet this year, and is Erik Williams nasty." i was like WOW, didnt realize he hasnt given up a sack.:starspin
considering he got eaten up by strahan for 2 in the first game vs the giants i would say yes he has

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
LatinMind;1212591 said:
considering he got eaten up by strahan for 2 in the first game vs the giants i would say yes he has
Actually, he didn't. Keep up, please.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
Blasphemy, Erik Williams has no equal when it comes to nasty on a football field. The only lineman I have ever seen who actually hit a DE so hard that it broke the guys facemask. DE's actually feared rushing against him because of his nature.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
This will depend on who you assign for Columbo to block. I think it was him who gave up the sack that ended up as a safety to Arrington on MNF. Also I think he was the one who missed his assignment and led to the missed FG in Washington.

I think he is great, I've seen a couple of screen plays where I was like wow, this guy can actually run and block pretty good.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
My problem right now is with LT. I just think that Flo is too inconsistant, and when he faces fast rushers, he just doesn't have the mobility anymore, if ever.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this from the NFLDraftCountdown.com mock draft:
The offensive line is without question the biggest problem area in Big D and the fact that Marc Colombo is starting for them speaks volumes about the state of that group. Levi Brown is a mountain of a man at 6-5 and 325 pounds and while he could potentially play left tackle in the pros like he does for the Nittany Lions he'd be of greater service replacing Colombo on the right side for the Cowboys. This may be just a slight reach but when you are as desperate for offensive line help as Dallas is you tend to do whatever is necessary to bring in help even if it means taking a guy like Brown ten spots early then so be it, although Justin Blalock would work as well.

sago1

Reaction score
I think when Parcells looks at players he is looking for a guy with some talent but who also possessing a certain temperament who is hard worker, very coachable & driven to play the game. He saw Colombo's desire (probably also checked him out with others who would know about Colombo) and same goes for other projects like Gramatica. I think we overlook with Parcells is his extensive web of contacts not only throughout the NFL but deep into the college ranks. He maintains contact with all his former players, colleagues, etc no matter where they go. I think Parcells is a very different person from what we see in PCs, etc. cause he certainly seems to remain close to many of his former players, etc.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
DCfaninDC;1212619 said:
This will depend on who you assign for Columbo to block. I think it was him who gave up the sack that ended up as a safety to Arrington on MNF. Also I think he was the one who missed his assignment and led to the missed FG in Washington.

I think he is great, I've seen a couple of screen plays where I was like wow, this guy can actually run and block pretty good.

That was the running back's assignment, but Arrington jumped the snap and the RB couldn't get there.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
eman721;1212541 said:
Parcells himself came out a couple of weeks ago and said that Colombo had not given up a sack all year.

He actually said Colombo hadn't given up a sack "yet, in nine games," and we had played 10 games at that point. So if he has allowed any sacks, they came in Week 1.

This was on Nov. 21, when we were 6-4 (10 games).

http://lb.dallascowboys.com/mp3/parcells_audio_112106.mp3

Go to the 3:50 mark of the press conference. Parcells says, "I think the guy that you have to talk a little bit about is Colombo, because he hasn't, I don't believe, given up a sack yet, in nine games ..."

The word "yet" threw me off the first time I heard it, because the "nine games" didn't stick out in my memory. So when I did a brief recap for the board (from memory), I wrote that Parcells said Colombo hadn't given up a sack yet. But he actually said "yet, in nine games."

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is only 28 years old. As well as he has been playing so far, another off season will only make him better. Nice steal JJ.

DCfaninDC

Reaction score
gimmesix;1212639 said:
That was the running back's assignment, but Arrington jumped the snap and the RB couldn't get there.

OK then what about the ALOT more important missed assignment on the FG in DC...GRRRR...we could've swept the series with deadskins

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
DCfaninDC;1212653 said:
OK then what about the ALOT more important missed assignment on the FG in DC...GRRRR...we could've swept the series with deadskins

No argument there, but I'm not going to hold one mistake on the field-goal team against what Colombo has done as a right tackle.

ghst187

Reaction score
I was really impressed when Columbo handled Julius Peppers a few games ago, but it seems that everyone is doing it nowadays....lol

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
ghst187;1212663 said:
I was really impressed when Columbo handled Julius Peppers a few games ago, but it seems that everyone is doing it nowadays....lol
LOL. Yeah, everyone is handling Peppers nowadays. It's an absolutely fluke that HE LEADS THE NFL IN SACKS!!!!

HeHateMe

Displaced but Dedicated
Reaction score
Bottom line is that he better be resigned this offseason.