Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
Logan is not a western but has similar traits of a Western.

Have you ever seen Shane? Both movies are different but share similar themes. The Outlaw Josey Wales is not as strong yet another fair comparison between a Western and Neo-Western like Logan.

I am assuming Watchmen was boring and made it tedious to watch. That is my guess since its length (162 minutes) and The Dark Knight's (152 minutes) are almost the same.

Watchmen
has its flaws but is also a true mystery film at its core. I think a few scenes could have been edited out and would have made it more receptive to general audiences.

That said, I probably considered it a better movie overall than most. Personally, I think reaction to the movie itself overshadows a pretty good performance by Jackie Earle Haley.
His Rorschach portrayal was hardcore, almost The Punisher like in some ways--especially during his prison scenes.

The big difference is the Christopher Nolan’s ' Dark Knight " had such extraordinary twists and plots that constantly keep you going, constantly kept you thinking, clueing, trying to anticipate
and predict what is gonna happen next, only to keep sustaining the surprise element,
it chess-gamed and play Jeopardy with you, occupied and captivated you with such intrigue that the long length time wasn’t even thought of.
it's so much going on, and so much to offer, it easily masks the long length.

plus on top of all that - then add in on Heath Ledger's magnificent Oscar winning acting performance

The ' Watchmen " actually had interesting characters, action parts and suspense in parts, but its also built and ran off long talk, philosophical dialog and long pace.
As you said, it could have (should have) been edited down to make it more receptive... and sufficient.

The_Dark_Knight_%282008_film%29.jpg

220px-Watchmen_film_poster.jpg

nobody

Reaction score
I agree with everything except the last sentence. Plus I cannot talk more in-depth about the final comment without moderating myself lol.

DC and Warner Bros (Discovery) has been so reactionary to the MCU over the past decade. I hope their recent cutbacks on many projects will allow them time to cut bait on some stuff, re-assess and re-establish a unique DC perspective releases.

Looks like it is too late to kill off Joker: The Musical. However, there is much more to DC that they can use. Just keep anyone thinking projects like live action Wonder Twins away from any future strategic planning sessions. :rolleyes:

There's two trends in entertainment when the real world gets darker. You see more people wanting light and fun entertainment and not stuff that drags them down more... You also see a rise/resurgence in the classic monster movies, because those monsters are "safe" fears and are able to be overcome.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
There's two trends in entertainment when the real world gets darker. You see more people wanting light and fun entertainment and not stuff that drags them down more... You also see a rise/resurgence in the classic monster movies, because those monsters are "safe" fears and are able to be overcome.
I don't know if you're right or not, but it's a good theory!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
She-Hulk's Audience Score Drops Below Inhumans
By Colin Hickson | Screen Rant
September 9, 2022

She-Hulk-Trailer-Header.jpg

Although it has a far superior critical reception, new audience scores reveal that She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is now less popular in audience metrics than the Inhumans TV series.

Per the statistics on Rotten Tomatoes, She-Hulk has an average Tomatometer rating of 88% and a less-than-stellar average audience score of 41%, while Inhumans has a lower average Tomatometer rating of 11%, but a higher average audience score of 44% in comparison. This isn't the first time She-Hulk has been plagued by low audience opinions, as the show had been review-bombed on IMDB prior to its premiere. Nevertheless, critics have praised She-Hulk, with one such review from CBR's Lissete Lanuza Sáenz saying that leading lady Tatiana Maslany "absolutely shines" in the series, even in times where she's "sharing a screen with arguably more recognizable stars like Mark Ruffalo."

She-Hulk's visual effects have been subjected to criticism, to which director Kat Coiro stated, "I think a lot of the critique comes from feeling like they're able to tear apart the CGI woman. There's a lot of talk about her body type, and we based it on Olympian athletes and not bodybuilders. But I think if we had gone the other way, we would be facing the same critique. I think it's very hard to win when you make women's bodies."

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
CFO: Warner Bros. Discovery Is Like a ‘Boeing 747 Flying on One Engine’
By Erik Gruenwedel | Media Play News
September 9, 2022

Gunnar-Wiedenfels.jpg

<snip>

“So, there’s a lot of opportunity. It’s exciting to see people step up and really own that opportunity and running [WBD] as one company,” he said. “I almost view this as a Boeing 747 flying on one engine. And we’re firing up the other three. There’s so much opportunity. It doesn’t happen overnight.”

<snip>

The result: Hiring former MGM Studio executives Michael De Luca and Pam Abdy as new co-chairpersons/CEOs of Warner Bros. Pictures Group, while retaining Casey Bloys, chief content officer of HBO and HBO Max, and Channing Dungey, chairman of Warner Bros. Television Group, among others.

Now in control of Warner’s impressive content vault and brands, which include Warner Bros. Pictures, DC Films, New Line Cinema, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, DC Comics, Warner Bros. Animation, and the Warner Bros. Television Studio, among other silos, Zaslav and Wiedenfels are looking to broaden WBD beyond WarnerMedia’s controversial streaming-centric focus and embrace all distribution channels — including the old-school theatrical window. The company is also aggressively upping content licensing to third parties.

“We, like very few other players, have the best ability to get the best return on every dollar of content spend, because we have control of the complete exploitation chain across all of these [distribution] windows,” Wiedenfels said. “We have a ton of content that has been sitting idly … and we’re firing this up with excitement across the organization.”

<snip>

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rundown: September 9, 2022
By Chris Cole | Multiversity Comics

<snip>

DC is teasing a “new era of Superman” with “Action Comics” #1050. Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Mike Perkins, Tom Taylor, Clayton Henry, Joshua Williamson, and Nick Dragotta are all set to work on the milestone issue, with Jim Lee, Alex Ross, Lee Weeks, and Michael Allred providing a few of the twenty-five variant covers. The plot will see Lex Luthor steal something from Clark’s life that “will change the very planet itself.” The 48-page comic will retail for $5.99, and go on sale December 27.

<snip>

Read more

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
September 9, 2022

Although it has a far superior critical reception, new audience scores reveal that She-Hulk: Attorney at Law is now less popular in audience metrics than the Inhumans TV series.

Per the statistics on Rotten Tomatoes, She-Hulk has an average Tomatometer rating of 88% and a less-than-stellar average audience score of 41%, while Inhumans has a lower average Tomatometer rating of 11%, but a higher average audience score of 44% in comparison. This isn't the first time She-Hulk has been plagued by low audience opinions, as the show had been review-bombed on IMDB prior to its premiere. Nevertheless, critics have praised She-Hulk, with one such review from CBR's Lissete Lanuza Sáenz saying that leading lady Tatiana Maslany "absolutely shines" in the series, even in times where she's "sharing a screen with arguably more recognizable stars like Mark Ruffalo."

She-Hulk's visual effects have been subjected to criticism, to which director Kat Coiro stated, "I think a lot of the critique comes from feeling like they're able to tear apart the CGI woman. There's a lot of talk about her body type, and we based it on Olympian athletes and not bodybuilders. But I think if we had gone the other way, we would be facing the same critique. I think it's very hard to win when you make women's bodies."

Read more
I think he's right, that it's hard to win, when making a woman's body. But I have absolutely no problem with She-Hulk's body. The CGI problem is the bad animation and unrealistic motion in her facial expressions. You can even see it in the still photo above.

As for the Ms. Marvel actor's comment: In response, Ms. Marvel lead actor Iman Vellani called it "honestly quite laughable," further remarking that change is scary for many people. "And having a show that surrounds a 16-year-old girl who's Pakistani and Muslim and a superhero is scary for a lot of people," I think that's way off the mark. I think the whole problem with that show's lackluster reviews is that it's like a Saturday morning TV show for kids. I find it very disingenuous to blame it on what Vellani claims to be the reason.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think he's right, that it's hard to win, when making a woman's body. But I have absolutely no problem with She-Hulk's body. The CGI problem is the bad animation and unrealistic motion in her facial expressions. You can even see it in the still photo above.

As for the Ms. Marvel actor's comment: In response, Ms. Marvel lead actor Iman Vellani called it "honestly quite laughable," further remarking that change is scary for many people. "And having a show that surrounds a 16-year-old girl who's Pakistani and Muslim and a superhero is scary for a lot of people," I think that's way off the mark. I think the whole problem with that show's lackluster reviews is that it's like a Saturday morning TV show for kids. I find it very disingenuous to blame it on what Vellani claims to be the reason.

I agree. The fact is that the show just wasn’t very good. It had nothing to do with the reasons she tried to use. In fact, both the exposure to the character’s culture, and her in the lead role, we’re two if the few things I actually enjoyed. The fact is, the overall story wasn’t very good or exciting. That was the issue.

I wonder what the excuses will be when The Marvels doesn’t do well?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree. The fact is that the show just wasn’t very good. It had nothing to do with the reasons she tried to use. In fact, both the exposure to the character’s culture, and her in the lead role, we’re two if the few things I actually enjoyed. The fact is, the overall story wasn’t very good or exciting. That was the issue.

I wonder what the excuses will be when The Marvels doesn’t do well?
You mean the 3 super powerful women?.......Good question. :laugh:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean the 3 super powerful women?.......Good question. :laugh:

I don’t even mind that so much (although they made Captain Marvel ridiculously overpowered and now need to walk it back). I’ve just heard terrible rumors and reviews on it so far and I had worries from the beginning when it was first announced. Hey, hopefully it surprises me, but I’m not going to apologize for not liking it if that’s the case. And I’m not going to deal with another female Ghostbusters where they blame fans for not liking something.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don’t even mind that so much (although they made Captain Marvel ridiculously overpowered and now need to walk it back). I’ve just heard terrible rumors and reviews on it so far and I had worries from the beginning when it was first announced. Hey, hopefully it surprises me, but I’m not going to apologize for not liking it if that’s the case. And I’m not going to deal with another female Ghostbusters where they blame fans for not liking something.
That's what I'm saying. I'm fine with the powerful women. But if the movie doesn't do well, they'll blame it on misogyny, and claim powerful women scare men. It couldn't possibly be crappy writing, acting, directing, casting, etc.

quickccc

Reaction score
September 9, 2022

Read more

in other words, the usual movie critic reviewers are casting a bias FOR she-hulk ,, while the general audience is casting a doubting shadow AGAINST
she-hulk, ...

With comments i usually say ... "It's not for everybody " ...that " comedy" -led format is Not for everybody.

that's what i worry about with Disney taking over Marvel shows.
That's what i worry about new Disney series shows like Daredevil, Punisher, Iron Heart, etc. :(

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
in other words, the usual movie critic reviewers are casting a bias FOR she-hulk ,, while the general audience is casting a doubting shadow AGAINST
she-hulk, ...

With comments i usually say ... "It's not for everybody " ...that " comedy" -led format is Not for everybody.

that's what i worry about with Disney taking over Marvel shows.
That's what i worry about new Disney series shows like Daredevil, Punisher, Iron Heart, etc. :(

Don’t expect to get the ultra-violent level stuff you saw in Punisher and parts of Daredevil. It will be serious, but likely not quite as violent as before.

quickccc

Reaction score
Don’t expect to get the ultra-violent level stuff you saw in Punisher and parts of Daredevil. It will be serious, but likely not quite as violent as before.

If i could get it Winter Soldier- Falcon style, i could more than be satisfied with that. ...:cool: