Comics and Movies

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Romanoff's fate was shock value. She interacted more on a personal level with practically everyone, in-and-outside The Avengers.

Barton was a loner type from the moment he first appeared in Thor. Fast forward and he turned dark side Sith. Audiences were presented with a character who might have made Frank Castle blink twice.

So, the choices were:
  1. The beautiful, charismatic yet deadly Nastasha or
  2. The utterly vile, seemingly unredeemable Clint
Audiences always expect the bad guy to bite the bullet at some point. Disney/Marvel knew that too. I did not like it either but The Widow's fate was already sealed.

You REALLY did not like Jeremy Renner's rendition, did you? :laugh: I think a more jovial, wise cracking Clint Barton was a possibility if Tony Stark was not part of the equation. Stark was the wise butt. Steve Rogers was his straight man. It seems obvious to me Renner would never be allowed as a third wheel within that dynamic.
I thought he was funny, just in a more deadpan way.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, look at Ant Man (Paul Rudd) ... he was a smart-alic wisecrack in this MCU, .. but yet was far from it with the " Dr. Henry Pym " that was displayed in the Marvel Comics.
Now why the heck didn't the studios let Rudd be Henry Pym (instead of Michael Douglas) in MCU, as opposed to "Scott Lang" , that's yet another tall tale to tell. ..

More so ? ... even Thor (Chris hemsworth) was a sorts of humor guy, albeit not the level of Stark or Lang, .but there's the streak of humor -super-especially once director Taika Waititi took over
per Ragnorak and Love and Thunder

Wanna get me further on a dice roll ..? we can also add Tom Holland/Spidey as yet another humor sport of that third ..or fourth.. or fifth wheel :cool:

The Russo bruthas dropped the ball on charisma development of Clint/Hawkeye in MCU, and then to try to make him (force him?) to be a stand out key figure in End Game ?
..Uggh ! :facepalm:

Ant Man
250px-Paul_Rudd_as_Ant-Man.jpg

Thor
220px-Chris_Hemsworth_as_Thor.jpg

Tony Stark/Iron Man
Robert_Downey_Jr._as_Tony_Stark_in_Avengers_Infinity_War.jpg

Peter Parker/Spidey
220px-Tom_Holland_as_Spider-Man.jpg
Thor's humor wasn't intentional on his part, mostly. He was more of a buffoon, like Drax.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
KIll Bill Vol 1 received a moderately good degree of publicity in the months leading up to its release and during the first couple of months afterwards. I do not remember Peppermint's pre-buildup but Colombiana did not get talked up nowhere near as much as KB.
Kill Bill also had several other big name costars.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, look at Ant Man (Paul Rudd) ... he was a smart-alic wisecrack in this MCU, .. but yet was far from it with the " Dr. Henry Pym " that was displayed in the Marvel Comics.
That is true. Of course, the Hope/Hank Pym relationship was different from the Stark/Rogers relationship. And Lang's wisecracking would be expected of a lead actor, right? Like... Tony Stark (Iron Man 1, 2, 3)... or Steve Rogers (Captain America 1, 2 & 3)... Scott Lang (Ant-Man 1, 2 going on 3)... right..? Expecting Renner to fit through Rudd's same square peg is not really genuine when looking at the differing movie formats in my opinion.
Now why the heck didn't the studios let Rudd be Henry Pym (instead of Michael Douglas) in MCU, as opposed to "Scott Lang" , that's yet another tall tale to tell. ..
You wanted Scott Lang deleted? So that comedic career role playing Paul Rudd could portray serious, super genius Henry Pym?

The MCU sets Pym as an intertwining link between the S.S.R. and S.H.I.E.L.D. Would you adjust this element or leave it as is? Trying to envision your thoughts on either a young or old Paul Rudd/Henry Pym.
More so ? ... even Thor (Chris hemsworth) was a sorts of humor guy, albeit not the level of Stark or Lang, .but there's the streak of humor -super-especially once director Taika Waititi took over
per Ragnorak and Love and Thunder
Waititi has tried his best to morph Odinson into a caricature of himself. To be honest, I think he succeeded.

I cannot stand Waititi.
Wanna get me further on a dice roll ..? we can also add Tom Holland/Spidey as yet another humor sport of that third ..or fourth.. or fifth wheel :cool:
Again. S-p-i-d-e-r-M-a-n isn't a third wheel in his own movies. And he is still just a kid in his non-Spidey movies. AND he is much more expected to be a wisecracker than Barton and Lang combined.
The Russo bruthas dropped the ball on charisma development of Clint/Hawkeye in MCU, and then to try to make him (force him?) to be a stand out key figure in End Game ?
..Uggh ! :facepalm:
Opinions differ. I think Hawkeye was done well. I think Ronin was done well within the context of Phase 3. And I think he did not overshadow anyone in Avengers: Endgame.

Now, let's talk about his Disney+ series... :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously Kill Bill being a Tarantino film was bound to get the spotlight and mass curiosity, even way before its' actual release, i would think.
yeh, that's understandable.

Ironically another very low budget female vigilante revenge from way back in the days, actually became a Cult Classic " I Spit on Your Grave " .. ended up having
several sequels, reboots that seems to still be going on to this day. and i believe it's actually among Rotten Tomatoes " Highly Rated " popular acclaimed classics.
Was it possible the " I spit" flick may have actually spearheaded the female vigilante films ? .. or just a coincidence ?
I would say coincidence. The I Spit on Your Grave formula is not that dissimilar from Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street regurgitations. Perhaps produced better by comparison but still spit out (pun intended) for public consumption and a quick buck.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
That is true. Of course, the Hope/Hank Pym relationship was different from the Stark/Rogers relationship. And Lang's wisecracking would be expected of a lead actor, right? Like... Tony Stark (Iron Man 1, 2, 3)... or Steve Rogers (Captain America 1, 2 & 3)... Scott Lang (Ant-Man 1, 2 going on 3)... right..? Expecting Renner to fit through Rudd's same square peg is not really genuine when looking at the differing movie formats in my opinion.
You wanted Scott Lang deleted? So that comedic career role playing Paul Rudd could portray serious, super genius Henry Pym?

The MCU sets Pym as an intertwining link between the S.S.R. and S.H.I.E.L.D. Would you adjust this element or leave it as is? Trying to envision your thoughts on either a young or old Paul Rudd/Henry Pym.
Waititi has tried his best to morph Odinson into a caricature of himself. To be honest, I think he succeeded.

I cannot stand Waititi.
Again. S-p-i-d-e-r-M-a-n isn't a third wheel in his own movies. And he is still just a kid in his non-Spidey movies. AND he is much more expected to be a wisecracker than Barton and Lang combined.
Opinions differ. I think Hawkeye was done well. I think Ronin was done well within the context of Phase 3. And I think he did not overshadow anyone in Avengers: Endgame.

Spidey has always been a wiseacre, that's why he's been my favorite since I was a kid. Take that element away, and he's no longer Spider-Man. He's just Peter Parker in pajamas...with web slingers, super strength, and amazing agility.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Spidey has always been a wiseacre, that's why he's been my favorite since I was a kid. Take that element away, and he's no longer Spider-Man. He's just Peter Parker in pajamas...with web slingers, super strength, and amazing agility.

Spiderman is to Marvel as Superman is to DC. it took me a while to realize that, and I’ve been a fan ever since. Marvel gets it and will never take away the innocence, the wise cracking, the fact that this kid can deal with so much evil and stay humble and good. DC on the other hand, no idea what they’re doing over there. People still want true heroes. The world isn’t that dark yet.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spiderman is to Marvel as Superman is to DC. it took me a while to realize that, and I’ve been a fan ever since. Marvel gets it and will never take away the innocence, the wise cracking, the fact that this kid can deal with so much evil and stay humble and good. DC on the other hand, no idea what they’re doing over there. People still want true heroes. The world isn’t that dark yet.
I agree with everything except the last sentence. Plus I cannot talk more in-depth about the final comment without moderating myself lol.

DC and Warner Bros (Discovery) has been so reactionary to the MCU over the past decade. I hope their recent cutbacks on many projects will allow them time to cut bait on some stuff, re-assess and re-establish a unique DC perspective releases.

Looks like it is too late to kill off Joker: The Musical. However, there is much more to DC that they can use. Just keep anyone thinking projects like live action Wonder Twins away from any future strategic planning sessions. :rolleyes:

quickccc

Reaction score
And I firmly believe that both availability and finances played a role as well (though no one would ever admit as much publicly).

At the end, Johannsen was making FAR more than Renner’s price tag. And it’s easy to see that Marvel got a TON of salary costs off the books when they said goodbye to Downey, Evans, and Johannsen.

Ditto here ..

although i would think if it was one studio ..one company that could pay that expensive bill .. it would be Disney

and Those 3 key people really help sell the market extraordinarily well ... monster record breaking box office numbers and returned investments that will not be challenged for very quite some time

:cool:

quickccc

Reaction score

I cannot stand Waititi.

- i would have rather Disney let Mike Douglas be Scott Lang..and Rudd be the pym,...if stark can be stark ... peter parker can be parker .... Rogers can be Rogers
Banner can be Banner ... then why can't Rudd be Pym instead of Lang ? ...why change comic name from the current Ant Man ?

- Just as Rudd/Ant Man is still the wise guy- smart-alic in Non-Ant Man movies ..
Just as Stark is a smart mouth in Non-Iron Man movies (see Spiderman, Avengers, Civil War) ....

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- i would have rather Disney let Mike Douglas be Scott Lang..and Rudd be the pym,...if stark can be stark ... peter parker can be parker .... Rogers can be Rogers
Banner can be Banner ... then why can't Rudd be Pym instead of Lang ? ...why change comic name from the current Ant Man ?

- Just as Rudd/Ant Man is still the wise guy- smart-alic in Non-Ant Man movies ..
Just as Stark is a smart mouth in Non-Iron Man movies (see Spiderman, Avengers, Civil War) ....
I took a quick look at Paul Rudy’s filmography. Perhaps I am wrong but I cannot picture an actor like Rudd playing a role convincingly like Dr. Pym. The prospect seems like a really really REALLY long stretch to believe. At least for me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best Cross-Genre Superhero Movies, Ranked
By Rajiv Prajapati | MovieWeb
September 8, 2022

RtfvO6jSenVx7Drf9AKwm2SaNmB5dL.jpg

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been largely responsible for some of the biggest motion pictures that define the current era of Hollywood cinema. The idea of a shared cinematic universe with crisscrossing storylines was virtually unheard of in Hollywood before the MCU came along. Nobody had envisioned that superheroes could be introduced to live action in such a naturalistic way.

Among the many defining features of the MCU is its penchant for making cross-genre superhero movies. This was a deliberate creative decision by MCU mastermind Kevin Feige, as outlined by Comicbook.com in 2018. Changing the creative rules from movie to movie through genre-hopping gave us such films like the wonderfully creative Thor: Ragnarok. Feige termed this creative signature as “genre plays” — an expression of his personal love for cinema of all kinds. It was something that allowed him to expand the boundaries of what superhero movies meant, and these genre plays have successfully bore amazing results across subsequent MCU movies.

Read more

10. Captain America: The First Avenger — Period War
09. The Crow — Gothic Horror
08. Watchmen — Film Noir
07. Spider-Man: Homecoming — High School / Teen Comedy
06. Captain America: The Winter Soldier — Espionage Thriller
05. Guardians of the Galaxy — Space Opera
04. Joker — Psychological Thriller
03. Ant-Man — Heist Comedy
02. Logan — Neo-Western
01. Brightburn — Horror

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see YouTube slapped a copyright claim on the video in post #1974. It should teach me to always go to the source for an official video. :rolleyes: This one is straight from the CBS/Paramount Plus channel:

quickccc

Reaction score
Best Cross-Genre Superhero Movies, Ranked
By Rajiv Prajapati | MovieWeb
September 8, 2022

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has been largely responsible for some of the biggest motion pictures that define the current era of Hollywood cinema. The idea of a shared cinematic universe with crisscrossing storylines was virtually unheard of in Hollywood before the MCU came along. Nobody had envisioned that superheroes could be introduced to live action in such a naturalistic way.

Among the many defining features of the MCU is its penchant for making cross-genre superhero movies. This was a deliberate creative decision by MCU mastermind Kevin Feige, as outlined by Comicbook.com in 2018. Changing the creative rules from movie to movie through genre-hopping gave us such films like the wonderfully creative Thor: Ragnarok. Feige termed this creative signature as “genre plays” — an expression of his personal love for cinema of all kinds. It was something that allowed him to expand the boundaries of what superhero movies meant, and these genre plays have successfully bore amazing results across subsequent MCU movies.

Read more

10. Captain America: The First Avenger — Period War
09. The Crow — Gothic Horror
08. Watchmen — Film Noir
07. Spider-Man: Homecoming — High School / Teen Comedy
06. Captain America: The Winter Soldier — Espionage Thriller
05. Guardians of the Galaxy — Space Opera
04. Joker — Psychological Thriller
03. Ant-Man — Heist Comedy
02. Logan — Neo-Western
01. Brightburn — Horror

- i never considered Logan a western like. just being on a farm isn't a western to me .

- i hope i never see a superhero flick as looooong as the Watchmen was. :confused:..... Unlike Dark Knight, it really felt like it's drawn out length

- Just seeing Brandon Lee in the Crow brings me to heart felt sorrow, tragical neglect on the set, and who knows where the son of Bruce Lee's career
would have taken off to new heights.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
- i never considered Logan a western like. just being on a farm isn't a western to me.
Logan is not a western but has similar traits of a Western.

Have you ever seen Shane? Both movies are different but share similar themes. The Outlaw Josey Wales is not as strong yet another fair comparison between a Western and Neo-Western like Logan.

- i hope i never see a superhero flick as looooong as the Watchmen was. :confused:..... Unlike Dark Knight, it really felt like it's drawn out length
I am assuming Watchmen was boring and made it tedious to watch. That is my guess since its length (162 minutes) and The Dark Knight's (152 minutes) are almost the same.

Watchmen
has its flaws but is also a true mystery film at its core. I think a few scenes could have been edited out and would have made it more receptive to general audiences.

That said, I probably considered it a better movie overall than most. Personally, I think reaction to the movie itself overshadows a pretty good performance by Jackie Earle Haley. His Rorschach portrayal was hardcore, almost The Punisher like in some ways--especially during his prison scenes.

quickccc

Reaction score

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchise/fr3662122757/

That’s what I thought since Spiderman hit Marvel’s Tale to Astonish back in the days.. and much of Marvel’s comic era (with so many various titles: Amazing Spiderman, Peter parker the Spectacular Spiderman, etc. and into Lego, Universe, etc.

- And before the MCU, it was Sam Raimi’s Spiderman that maybe introduce Marvel’s biggest impact when it came to the big screen

- But ironically, it was also a big “ speed bump in the road “ with the Spidey movies that forced Sony/Marvel to have to significantly change and upgrade their Spidey movies, especially with the Andrew Gardner- Amazing Spiderman 1 and 2 films.. (the Lizard ?? ..C’mon!) and even Jamie Fox’s “ Electro “ – which were considered less than expectations box office numbers, wasn’t acceptable with
fanfare and movie critics.

- Spidey was supposed to be Marvel’s prime pet toy and biggest marketer.

- But from the Sam Raimi’s Spiderman 3 that featured Sand Man and introduced Venom, the Spidey film mania went on the decline.
And studios wanted and highly expected the 100 million plus opening weekend box office numbers, came away in very flat, disappointing numbers, and waning attention span
from viewing audiences.

- Actually when it came down to MCU movies, I thought it was clear that Robert Downey Jr’s Iron Man became what Super man was to DC, IM became the royal crowned king among Marvel’s top big guns. He made Marvel rising movies, and drew the aura appeal that Marvel thought they could count on getting from Spiderman films.

- Thus a new direction saw Tom Holland’s spidey version and a high hope back to the 90-100 million mark.

And once Spidey’s “ No way Home “ and it’s astounding opening numbers (260 million!) ..came reeling off the monster successful tail pipes of Avengers Infinity War /End Game while
also drawing the trending cross over per Dr. Strange, ended up finally the huge box office drawing numbers the Marvel/Spidey studios were looking for ..

:popcorn: