Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Weird and Wonderful History of Marvel Theme Park Rides
By Gavin Jasper | Den of Geek
September 23, 2022

thanos-ride.jpg

At the D23 Expo, we heard a lot of information about Marvel movies and TV shows. Among stuff like Werewolf by Night and Thunderbolts, there was also talk about a massive event where King Thanos (from a world where he was victorious) would face heroes from all over the multiverse. If this is your first time hearing about this and you’re wondering why there hasn’t been more media emphasis on such a story, the reason is because it isn’t a Marvel movie or TV show, but a ride taking place in Disneyland sometime in the next couple years.

It’s something Disneyland’s Avengers Campus has been in desperate need for: a third ride. While details are scarce on the King Thanos attraction, even what its official name will be, it acts as a new chapter in the bizarre history of Marvel theme parks. Much like their complicated movie rights, Marvel’s theme park history is a bit all over the place. So all over the place, in fact, that there are currently two different Spider-Man rides on two different coasts, run by rival theme park companies.

How did we get here?

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score
That is EXACTLY the reason. Your Spidey vs Firelord and Spidey vs Hulk confrontations are excellent examples of a publisher taking a superhero's capabilities beyond his or her limits. The scenario is not that dissimilar from Batman holding his own versus Superman.

It is why a story like @quickccc suggested is pretty great. Daredevil is not expected to beat The Hulk. His billy club would be useless. Even Mjorlnir probably laughs at it. Murdoch does not have a skeleton laced with adamantium or unbreakable claws and cannot depend on a mutant healing factor.

Even so, his plan is luring Banner away from people, knowing he may sacrifice himself in the process. The strategy works for the most part at a high physical cost. It was only because a tiny part of Banner's empathy surfaced at the crucial moment before The Hulk administered the coup de grâce. The story is one of those "Kobayashi Maru" types where Marvel really shines at telling.

Honestly, in a lot of those comics I think some people survive the Hulk because while the Hulk is a rage monster, deep down he doesn't really want to hurt them.

Like a Spider-man comic where the Avengers audition him by having him try to capture the Hulk alone. The Avengers straight up tried to murder Spider-man and have it look like an audition.

Spider-man beat the Hulk, but really it shouldn't have happened the way it did. Spider-man could avoid the Hulk but straight beat him at that stage in Spidey's career? Not buying it.

Spidey beat Firelord by not letting him touch him. He beat the Hulk by wrapping his legs around the Hulk's neck and choking him out. That means Spidey would be in range of the Hulk's hands. Game over. Daredevil wouldn't stand a chance of survival if Hulk wanted him dead.

Really ? I'd love research to see the comic issue that " allowed' Spider to choke out one of the most physically strongest being on the planet earth, with just his legs.Unless the Hulk was also
gassed, poisoned, fighting psycho attacks, mystic spells, i wouldn't see how leg choke would be possible alone vs the Incredible Hulk.
Marvel flat dropped the ball here.

Spidey could not come close physically going toe to toe with Juggernaut, so how would that happen with the Incredible Hulk ?

When even mildly enraged, the Hulk has Class 100 strength level, meaning he is in the 100 ton max strength level ... while Spiderman is in the 30 ton range.
That's a very massive difference.

- As with the Hulk not physically wanting to hurt people in general, yes, you're right, he doesn't have that kind of killer mode.
When he does dish it out physically in attacks, it is more of a self-defensive mode.
It's a returned back-slap because someone initiate a back-slapping against him. Such as the tanks, air jets, and black hawks coming at him.

- i think blind Alicia Masters (Ben Grimm's longtime girlfriend, and Puppet Master's daughter) put it best in one of the FF's 90's toons episodes; " Nightmare in Green "
as she described ... " The Hulk was like an angry child " ....

If you can somehow reason and calm the Hulk, as you would trying to calm an child throwing a tandrum, (as what Matt Murdock/Daredevil did) then that would clearly work the best than
attempting to take him on physically.

But if you decide to attack and destroy the Hulk as General Thunderbolt Ross always seemed determined to do ... then so be it.
Good luck with that, chief . :rolleyes:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Really ? I'd love research to see the comic issue that " allowed' Spider to choke out one of the most physically strongest being on the planet earth, with just his legs.Unless the Hulk was also
gassed, poisoned, fighting psycho attacks, mystic spells, i wouldn't see how leg choke would be possible alone vs the Incredible Hulk.

Spidey could not come close physically going toe to toe with Juggernaut, so how would that happen with the Incredible Hulk ?

When even mildly enraged, the Hulk has Class 100 strength level, meaning he is in the 100 ton max strength level ... while Spiderman is in the 30 ton range.

- As with the Hulk not physically wanting to hurt people in general, yes, you're right, he doesn't have that kind of killer mode.
When he does dish it out physically in attacks, it is more of a self-defensive mode.
It's a returned back-slap because someone initiate a back-slapping against him. Such as the tanks, air jets, and black hawks coming at him.

- i think blind Alicia Masters (Ben Grimm's longtime girlfriend, and Puppet Master's daughter) put it best in one of the FF's 90's toons episodes; " Nightmare in Green "
as she described ... " The Hulk was like an angry child " ....

If you can somehow reason and calm the Hulk, as you would trying to calm an child throwing a tandrum, (as what Matt Murdock/Daredevil did) then that would clearly work the best than
attempting to take him on physically.

But if you decide to attack and destroy the Hulk as General Thunderbolt Ross always seemed determined to do ... then so be it.
Good luck with that, chief . :rolleyes:
It does seem unlikely that Spidey could choke him out, but at the same time, if you give a piggy back ride to a child, you sometimes have to tell them, "Not around...gasp...the...gasp, cough...throat!"

quickccc

Reaction score
It does seem unlikely that Spidey could choke him out, but at the same time, if you give a piggy back ride to a child, you sometimes have to tell them, "Not around...gasp...the...gasp, cough...throat!"

could a child do a piggy back choke ride to a Lou Haney, Schwarzenegger or Lou Ferrigno ..? :cool:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My Spider-Man strategy for defeating The Hulk
Items Needed: One (1) an super-extra large handheld respirator, One (1) vial of the most powerful sedative known, Pretty of spare web fluid

The Plan: Attach the respirator and vial together. Add a protective layer of webbing on top servicing as a shock absorber. Keep Banner at a distance while constantly targeting both his hands until they are covered with webs about a foot thick. At the moment The Hulk is temporarily distracted trying to dislodge the webbing from his hands, swing in tight, slap the respirator/vial combo over his mouth and nose, web it to his face while swinging away from gamma boy, and start webbing his entire face constantly from a distance.

All life needs air. Eventually, the sedative will do its job because Bruce will not be able to rip the respirator from his face. Hulk Rage will aid filling the sedative into his lungs faster also.

Parker will have to stock up on a bunch more web fluid but his opponent will be out for the count.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My Spider-Man strategy for defeating The Hulk
Items Needed: One (1) an super-extra large handheld respirator, One (1) vial of the most powerful sedative known, Pretty of spare web fluid

The Plan: Attach the respirator and vial together. Add a protective layer of webbing on top servicing as a shock absorber. Keep Banner at a distance while constantly targeting both his hands until they are covered with webs about a foot thick. At the moment The Hulk is temporarily distracted trying to dislodge the webbing from his hands, swing in tight, slap the respirator/vial combo over his mouth and nose, web it to his face while swinging away from gamma boy, and start webbing his entire face constantly from a distance.

All life needs air. Eventually, the sedative will do its job because Bruce will not be able to rip the respirator from his face. Hulk Rage will aid filling the sedative into his lungs faster also.

Parker will have to stock up on a bunch more web fluid but his opponent will be out for the count.
But since we know that Hulks can't get drunk, should it follow that they can't, or at least are 'incredibly' resistant to even the strongest of sedatives? And couldn't Hulk eliminate the hand webbing with a Hulk Clap? Does Hulk need to breathe, or am I just imagining that he's jumped off planet and through space?

nobody

Reaction score
Yes. There is no muscle that protects the throat or jugular, so it doesn't really take much to choke someone or put them to sleep.

The problem is that an adult giving a piggy back ride neither has the strength nor desire to grab the child's legs and rip the child in half.

Oh I agree. Spider-man could beat him, just not the way they had him do it. Really the only reason Spider-man could have won the way he did is that Hulk had zero desire to hurt Peter in any way even though the fight had been going on some time. Here is the issue in question (I think):

DIG012870_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_-300x455.jpg

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The problem is that an adult giving a piggy back ride neither has the strength nor desire to grab the child's legs and rip the child in half.

Oh I agree. Spider-man could beat him, just not the way they had him do it. Really the only reason Spider-man could have won the way he did is that Hulk had zero desire to hurt Peter in any way even though the fight had been going on some time. Here is the issue in question (I think):

DIG012870_1._SX1280_QL80_TTD_-300x455.jpg
I still think his best chance would be to suspend him in webbing until Hulk calmed down.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But since we know that Hulks can't get drunk, should it follow that they can't, or at least are 'incredibly' resistant to even the strongest of sedatives? And couldn't Hulk eliminate the hand webbing with a Hulk Clap? Does Hulk need to breathe, or am I just imagining that he's jumped off planet and through space?
Good questions. The Hulks have an extreme tolerance to alcohol. Sedatives/anesthetics has been a different story.

The Hulk has been put unconscious with knockout gas numerous times in the comics. Heck. That is how he was involuntarily kidnapped and taken to Planet Hulk. The Hulk has a great self-defense mechanism. He holds his breath and PRESTO! A gaseous sedative has zero effect.

A Hulk Thunderclap would disintegrate a thin layer of webbing but a thick humongous amount of webbing though? Personally, I extremely doubt it. That stuff is pretty darn tough the more it is applied in a restricted small area.

Breathing? Ultimate Hulk's physiology can create 'fluid breathing' that indefinite allows his body to replace oxygen indefinitely. How long is the question. The Earth-616 that is the main character in comics and seen in the MCU does not have this capability. However, he can still hold his breath for a pretty loooooong time. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Good questions. The Hulks have an extreme tolerance to alcohol. Sedatives/anesthetics has been a different story.

The Hulk has been put unconscious with knockout gas numerous times in the comics. Heck. That is how he was involuntarily kidnapped and taken to Planet Hulk. The Hulk has a great self-defense mechanism. He holds his breath and PRESTO! A gaseous sedative has zero effect.

A Hulk Thunderclap would disintegrate a thin layer of webbing but a thick humongous amount of webbing though? Personally, I extremely doubt it. That stuff is pretty darn tough the more it is applied in a restricted small area.

Breathing? Ultimate Hulk's physiology can create 'fluid breathing' that indefinite allows his body to replace oxygen indefinitely. How long is the question. The Earth-616 that is the main character in comics and seen in the MCU does not have this capability. However, he can still hold his breath for a pretty loooooong time. :)
Isn't "indefinitely" the answer to "How long"? :grin:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't "indefinitely" the answer to "How long"? :grin:
Well, it is safe saying 'indefinite' is not 'forever'. :muttley: It is an ability both the new age Superman and The Hulk share.

Now, the old Superman could hold his breath forever prior to 1985 DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths saga. Kal-El could take in one big gulp of air and fly into space for days, months or years without taking another breath. Yep. He was WAY overpowered. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well, it is safe saying 'indefinite' is not 'forever'. :muttley: It is an ability both the new age Superman and The Hulk share.

Now, the old Superman could hold his breath forever prior to 1985 DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths saga. Kal-El could take in one big gulp of air and fly into space for days, months or years without taking another breath. Yep. He was WAY overpowered. :laugh:
"Indefinite" has 2 definitions; One which is "for an unspecified period", and the other is "for an unlimited amount of time". I assumed you meant the former, but I couldn't resist.

As for Supes flying off into space while holding his breath, I never understood how he could fly away from the sun and retain his powers.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Indefinite" has 2 definitions; One which is "for an unspecified period", and the other is "for an unlimited amount of time". I assumed you meant the former, but I couldn't resist.

As for Supes flying off into space while holding his breath, I never understood how he could fly away from the sun and retain his powers.
Just guessing but I would say The Hulk could hold his breath for a day. Perhaps two days max.

New age Superman's Kryptonian cells soak in solar radiation. That allows him to retain many of his abilities for extended periods of time away from a Sol-type star. This revised power origin explains how Clark grew into his powers after reaching Earth instead of them "activating instantly" after being exposed to solar energy as a baby. It helps explain why other Kryptonians are not immediately as powerful as Superman when they enter this solar system also.

nobody

Reaction score
Just guessing but I would say The Hulk could hold his breath for a day. Perhaps two days max.

New age Superman's Kryptonian cells soak in solar radiation. That allows him to retain many of his abilities for extended periods of time away from a Sol-type star. This revised power origin explains how Clark grew into his powers after reaching Earth instead of them "activating instantly" after being exposed to solar energy as a baby. It helps explain why other Kryptonians are not immediately as powerful as Superman when they enter this solar system also.

I think it also depends on how much air was in his lungs when he held the breath. Taken by surprise is different than taking a voluntary breath.

quickccc

Reaction score

i had always assumed that the solar energies from the Earth's yellow sun that gave Superman his great powers also sustain energies within his internal body and being to where he does not
need to hold his breath to sustain oxygen, whether that is underwater or in deep space or portal dimensions.

But heck, i get so confused with the Superman bit in several senses. ...i have already long had the issues with the ridiculous notion that his eyeglasses supposedly able to conceal his secret alter identity of Clarke Kent while at the Daily Planet
.Ditto with Diana Princess and her secret concealed eyeglasses too.

lol .. .that's DC Comics way for ya :laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i had always assumed that the solar energies from the Earth's yellow sun that gave Superman his great powers also sustain energies within his internal body and being to where he does not
need to hold his breath to sustain oxygen, whether that is underwater or in deep space or portal dimensions.

But heck, i get so confused with the Superman bit in several senses. ...i have already long had the issues with the ridiculous notion that his eyeglasses supposedly able to conceal his secret alter identity of Clarke Kent while at the Daily Planet
.Ditto with Diana Princess and her secret concealed eyeglasses too.

lol .. .that's DC Comics way for ya :laugh:
Nope. Supes has lungs like humans. :D

I think the whole secret identity thing using weak disguise was really a by-product of the 1930s and 1940s imagination. Folks likely thought blending in was easy when everyone basically looked the same.

Supes hair was what really bothered me. Clark Kent didn’t have a curl drop down to his forehead but Kal-El did. Just another stupid visual trick to fool everyone I guess. :laugh:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Nope. Supes has lungs like humans. :D

I think the whole secret identity thing using weak disguise was really a by-product of the 1930s and 1940s imagination. Folks likely thought blending in was easy when everyone basically looked the same.

Supes hair was what really bothered me. Clark Kent didn’t have a curl drop down to his forehead but Kal-El did. Just another stupid visual trick to fool everyone I guess. :laugh:
You'd think he would've at least super speed grew a moustache as Clark!