Comics and Movies

quickccc

Reaction score
Nope. Supes has lungs like humans. :D

I think the whole secret identity thing using weak disguise was really a by-product of the 1930s and 1940s imagination. Folks likely thought blending in was easy when everyone basically looked the same.

Supes hair was what really bothered me. Clark Kent didn’t have a curl drop down to his forehead but Kal-El did. Just another stupid visual trick to fool everyone I guess. :laugh:

SMH ... yep, that's typical DC Comics for ya ...:confused:
i would've thought they at least re-edited or set it up like his mimic ripoff Marvel rival Gladiator ....

" ... Gladiator can fly at speeds rivaling those of starships, and can achieve faster than light speeds in hyperspace. He can survive unprotected in the vacuum of outer space, and apparently either does not need to breath or can survive for long periods of time (as when he flies through outer space) without breathing... "

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/g/gladiatorii.htm#:~:text=Gladiator can fly at speeds,through outer space) without breathing.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i would've thought they at least re-edited or set it up like his mimic ripoff Marvel rival Gladiator ....

" ... Gladiator can fly at speeds rivaling those of starships, and can achieve faster than light speeds in hyperspace. He can survive unprotected in the vacuum of outer space, and apparently either does not need to breath or can survive for long periods of time (as when he flies through outer space) without breathing... "

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/g/gladiatorii.htm#:~:text=Gladiator can fly at speeds,through outer space) without breathing.
I hope not. Strontian technology enhanced Gladiator's abilities and altered his physiology to withstand the vacuum of space. On the other hand, Superman's Kryptonian abilities are solely solar enhanced.

Most of Kallark's weaknesses are tied directly to his mindset at any given moment. The bulk of any weakness Kal-El's suffers is external to himself, primarily from a decrease or being deprived of yellow solar energy.

Both characters share a "biggest" weakness from specific radiation. Kryptonite is Superman's. Not sure the type of radiation Gladiator endangers him the most.

As I said earlier, I am glad DC depowered Kal-El. Old Superman was many times faster than Gladiator, which is nuts. It would be a good fight but old Superman would have beat the snot out of Gladiator.

Gladiator/Superman comparisons are fun. It is good keeping them strictly to including Earth One's version of the Kryptonian though. We can go crazy and throw Superman Prime into the mix. He would make Kallark pee in his pants, lol.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

I was wondering Melvin Potter (aka Gladiator) can fly? Into space? When did I miss that? :confused: I got confused there for a second, I forgot about the other Gladiator....lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Andor is fantastic, so far, though I don't know if she has anything to do with that.

I’m sure she does, if only in a distant capacity. And I’m enjoying it so far too. The world building they can accomplish at this point is incredible.

But I still find it a disgrace that they’re reduced to TV only at this point in time. Unacceptable.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why Marvel's Magic Heroes Are Weaker Than DC's
By Shaun Corley | Screen Rant
September 25, 2022

Collage-Maker-15-Aug-2022-1056-AM.jpg

<snip>

Magic-based characters have been integral parts of the DC and Marvel Universes since their inception. In the early 1940s, fans were more than thrilled to read about the exploits of sorcerers such as Doctor Fate and Sargon, or avenging ghosts like the Spectre. When the Marvel Age of Comics began in 1961, magic was not far behind because in 1963, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko introduced Doctor Strange to the Marvel Universe. Strange’s arrival led to an explosion of magic users in comics and when the Comics Code Authority guidelines were loosened in the 1970s, it opened the door for even more supernatural characters, such as Dracula and Ghost Rider. In the 1980s, Alan Moore introduced Constantine. Constantine was unlike any other magic user in the DC Universe at the time. He was a working class magician who relied on his wits and sorcery. Even though both publishers have a robust roster of magic- and supernatural-based characters, Black Widow identifies the franchise with the strongest list.

Strange #6, by Jed MacKay and Lee Garbett, reveals that The Blasphemy Cartel, who has taken advantage of the chaos unleashed in the wake of Doctor Strange’s death, has begun consolidating their hold on Earth’s magical community. Wong, desperate for answers, begins searching through the magical haunts and dives of New York City. After stopping at the Bar With No Name, Wong meets with Black Widow. Upon noticing the military-like tactics the Cartel was employing, Wong asked for Black Widow, reasoning that she knew more about such things thanks to her espionage background. Widow and Wong discuss the Cartel’s machinations, and Widow tells Wong that Earth’s magic community is “under governed.” She says that when sorcerers and magicians need help, they have no one to turn to, except for the Sorcerer Supreme.

Black Widow is spot-on because Marvel’s magic users are far less organized, and subsequently weaker, than those hailing from DC. Marvel’s magic users almost always operate on the fringes, with only a few select characters opting to participate in teams (some notable examples include the Scarlet Witch and Strange himself). By staying on the edges, Marvel’s magic users alienate potential allies and leave themselves open to attacks by groups such as the Blasphemy Cartel. In contrast, DC’s magic-using community is much more organized, and even receives official recognition. Justice League Dark, consisting of John Constantine, Zatanna and other magic users, is an officially recognized offshoot of the main Justice League. The team operates in the basement of the Hall of Justice, implying endorsement by the League and their sponsors. If Marvel’s magic community wishes to survive the ravages of the Blasphemy Cartel, they will need to take a page out of the playbook of Justice League Dark and the DC Universe.

<snip>

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score
Why Marvel's Magic Heroes Are Weaker Than DC's
By Shaun Corley | Screen Rant
September 25, 2022

Collage-Maker-15-Aug-2022-1056-AM.jpg

<snip>

Magic-based characters have been integral parts of the DC and Marvel Universes since their inception. In the early 1940s, fans were more than thrilled to read about the exploits of sorcerers such as Doctor Fate and Sargon, or avenging ghosts like the Spectre. When the Marvel Age of Comics began in 1961, magic was not far behind because in 1963, Stan Lee and Steve Ditko introduced Doctor Strange to the Marvel Universe. Strange’s arrival led to an explosion of magic users in comics and when the Comics Code Authority guidelines were loosened in the 1970s, it opened the door for even more supernatural characters, such as Dracula and Ghost Rider. In the 1980s, Alan Moore introduced Constantine. Constantine was unlike any other magic user in the DC Universe at the time. He was a working class magician who relied on his wits and sorcery. Even though both publishers have a robust roster of magic- and supernatural-based characters, Black Widow identifies the franchise with the strongest list.

Strange #6, by Jed MacKay and Lee Garbett, reveals that The Blasphemy Cartel, who has taken advantage of the chaos unleashed in the wake of Doctor Strange’s death, has begun consolidating their hold on Earth’s magical community. Wong, desperate for answers, begins searching through the magical haunts and dives of New York City. After stopping at the Bar With No Name, Wong meets with Black Widow. Upon noticing the military-like tactics the Cartel was employing, Wong asked for Black Widow, reasoning that she knew more about such things thanks to her espionage background. Widow and Wong discuss the Cartel’s machinations, and Widow tells Wong that Earth’s magic community is “under governed.” She says that when sorcerers and magicians need help, they have no one to turn to, except for the Sorcerer Supreme.

Black Widow is spot-on because Marvel’s magic users are far less organized, and subsequently weaker, than those hailing from DC. Marvel’s magic users almost always operate on the fringes, with only a few select characters opting to participate in teams (some notable examples include the Scarlet Witch and Strange himself). By staying on the edges, Marvel’s magic users alienate potential allies and leave themselves open to attacks by groups such as the Blasphemy Cartel. In contrast, DC’s magic-using community is much more organized, and even receives official recognition. Justice League Dark, consisting of John Constantine, Zatanna and other magic users, is an officially recognized offshoot of the main Justice League. The team operates in the basement of the Hall of Justice, implying endorsement by the League and their sponsors. If Marvel’s magic community wishes to survive the ravages of the Blasphemy Cartel, they will need to take a page out of the playbook of Justice League Dark and the DC Universe.

<snip>

Read more

If this magical comparisons between DC Comics vs Marvel was based off mortal humans .. i could see giving it to DC Comics per Constantine, and Zantana, Doctor Fate,
but if it involves other " mystical beings' such as Spectre, Deadman, Raven,... vs Marvel mystical characters

then as Boxing Ring man Michael Buffer always say ...... " Let Get Ready to Ruuuuuuuuuuumble ! :p

1b9da51b38c0f3031f06e64409e3df3a.jpg

Dormammu
Dormammu.jpg

ODIN
1cf16295ecee132ef52f36728df74031.jpg

SURTUR
b9734390b71d097cdbb66523b55fc76c.jpg

Hela
220px-Hela.png

LOKI
b661420f87c86718426b062d669c7c5e.jpg

MEPHISTO
51b4c2092e67d74bff6d97ce8bcfc91f.jpg

SHAMAN (Alpha Flight)
9ebda7afa382a171654f0723dc0d20cd.jpg

SELENE (Hell Fire Club)
6639199cf7d7189de3e9cb76376f2e40.jpg

Daimon Hellstrom (Son Of Satan)
8a581159c8e4b5bbee9083ac3dcdb7f0.jpg

Satana Hellstrom
e75d937b2eaac733dd0177ffefae82fd.jpg

Enchantress
ef292f6cb6676cdb1183f8891178f3bb.jpg

Umar
92b0080bf4683293ec175d92be4ea4ea.jpg

Mojo
220px-Uncanny_X-Men_461.jpg

nobody

Reaction score
One of my favorite FF two-part stories:

20322-2045-22670-1-fantastic-four.jpg

I can’t believe there wasn’t a DC lawsuit. Take away the Mohawk and its Kal-El. The title screams it too!

Superman-v-Fantastic-Four-batman-11571097-725-756.jpg

Why? That Fantastic Four cover is from 1982, That Superman cover is from 1987.

That issue of FF actually showed that Gladiator's Superstrength was closer to Superboys (The clone) with Tactile Telekinesis, which is why he lifted a building without it falling apart.... Soooo, while Gladiator is a knockoff, it's not direct and DC absolutely copied Marvel's cover. It's hard to copy something when you publish the title and art first.

Man and Super-man could have been talking about Superman, but it could have been talking about Shaw's book (and play) Man and Superman based on Friedrich Nietzsche's idea of a Superman....predating DC's Superman by a lot.

I'm not saying that's the case, but "Man and Super-man" used in that way predates Superman.

quickccc

Reaction score
I hope not. Strontian technology enhanced Gladiator's abilities and altered his physiology to withstand the vacuum of space. On the other hand, Superman's Kryptonian abilities are solely solar enhanced.

Most of Kallark's weaknesses are tied directly to his mindset at any given moment. The bulk of any weakness Kal-El's suffers is external to himself, primarily from a decrease or being deprived of yellow solar energy.

Both characters share a "biggest" weakness from specific radiation. Kryptonite is Superman's. Not sure the type of radiation Gladiator endangers him the most.

As I said earlier, I am glad DC depowered Kal-El. Old Superman was many times faster than Gladiator, which is nuts. It would be a good fight but old Superman would have beat the snot out of Gladiator.

Gladiator/Superman comparisons are fun. It is good keeping them strictly to including Earth One's version of the Kryptonian though. We can go crazy and throw Superman Prime into the mix. He would make Kallark pee in his pants, lol.

So if Mister Mxyzptlk or some magical enemy decided to conjure a spell on Superman that prevents him from being exposed to the outer energies of the yellow sun, does Kal-El.lose his
superhuman powers ?

Or since he's been exposed to the yellow sun of Earth since discovered childhood is Clarke's body cells " permanently" enhanced by the has the solar energies of the Earth ?
- So if it's according to his body cells, then those solar energies are " within" him so there could not be a " sun-shielding " that can deprive him of his super powers ?

-That's why it would make more sense for Superman's "enhanced" super powers enabling him to not needing to depend upon outer oxygen to breath.
His own internal self-sustaining energies should allow him to do.

- Much like the Silver Surfer who also was a mortal who ended up being enchanced by external force, en route to Not needing oxygen to breath. .

- There seems to be more confusion with DC Comic profiles with some of their characters than Marvel .. ... :D

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So if Mister Mxyzptlk or some magical enemy decided to conjure a spell on Superman that prevents him from being exposed to the outer energies of the yellow sun, does Kal-El.lose his
superhuman powers ?

Or since he's been exposed to the yellow sun of Earth since discovered childhood is Clarke's body cells " permanently" enhanced by the has the solar energies of the Earth ?
- So if it's according to his body cells, then those solar energies are " within" him so there could not be a " sun-shielding " that can deprive him of his super powers ?

-That's why it would make more sense for Superman's "enhanced" super powers enabling him to not needing to depend upon outer oxygen to breath.

- Much like the Silver Surfer who also was a mortal who ended up being enchanced by external force, en route to Not needing oxygen to breath. .

- There seems to be more confusion with DC Comic profiles with some of their characters than Marvel .. ... :D
In Justice League , he was dead, but his body didn't decompose. Does that mean he needs the sun's power to be active, but not to stay alive?

BTW, considering the sun has no magic power, it seems a bit outdated to think that his power comes from a ball of mostly hydrogen, with a core of nuclear fusion, spewing the same things most other stars do.

quickccc

Reaction score
In Justice League , he was dead, but his body didn't decompose. Does that mean he needs the sun's power to be active, but not to stay alive?

BTW, considering the sun has no magic power, it seems a bit outdated to think that his power comes from a ball of mostly hydrogen, with a core of nuclear fusion, spewing the same things most other stars do.

was Soupy " really" dead ?

Or was he really more like in a comatose like state ? (after Doomsday beat the living crap outta him) ..... heck, seems like he's been dead and brought back several times ..:confused:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So if Mister Mxyzptlk or some magical enemy decided to conjure a spell on Superman that prevents him from being exposed to the outer energies of the yellow sun, does Kal-El.lose his superhuman powers ?
Hypothetically, I would agree. Kal-El and other Kryptonians' cells are saturated with yellow sun energy, granting them their superpowers. Creating a barrier blocking solar energy would do the trick.

Mister Mxyzptlk has been around since the 40's. The imp has stolen Superman's powers in the past. Creating a barrier would not be a problem for him. However, the character has always been portrayed as an idiot, which is why his plans have always fallen apart.
No. It would take a long time but practically all Kryptonians, even those who have bathed in the Sun's rays from since they were a baby, would be reduced to a normal human physically if cut off from solar energy.

The lone exception would be Superman Prime, who stayed in the Sun for 15,000 years. His cells are charged with solar energy beyond the imagination. It would be an understatement saying his internal solar storage would be deleted for centuries, probably millennia.
That... would be more true of the pre-Crisis of Infinite Earths Superman than the post saga version.

The old Superman's "internal batteries" were VERY far superior to the current version. Again, the previous Superman could fly out into space for weeks or months at a time and visit non-red sun solar systems without much difficulty retaining his superpowers, if that. The current Superman is constantly recharging his cells to retain his powers. If separated from the Sun's rays for an "extended time", Kal-El's internal solar energy capacity would slowly dwindle, along with his abilities.
Just my opinion but I think you may be stuck on the old Superman. DC depowered him and gave him greater limitations. It may seem like illogical thinking on the publisher's part but I agreed with their course of action.

For example, it was that forward thinking that allow an eventual discussion of the killing of Superman. The Death of Superman, and even the creation of a now classic killing machine like Doomsday, would not have happened if not for the depowering of the Last Son of Krypton. Old Superman would have easily flicked that sucker into outer space before 1985, lol.
I do not agree with the comparison. Norrin Radd is a recipient of the Power Cosmic. Mortal limitations do not apply to him.
Superman is still flawed but he is who he is now. I would be against DC reversing course and returning the old version.