Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why i enjoyed the various and indifferent views and opinions here, as i continue to think Chris Hemsworth was an idea Mighty Thor.
Is he too British toned for you ? ;)

I believe he’s Australian.

But I think he’s perfect casting and I never want to see anyone rude even TRY to replace him.

And interesting how they never brought or developed Thor's alter ego Dr. Donald Blake into the fray. Just kept Hemsworth as Asgardian Thor only.
and i think it really worked out better this way.

Unlike DC, Marvel quickly realized how idiotic alter egos were right away.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is why i enjoyed the various and indifferent views and opinions here, as i continue to think Chris Hemsworth was an idea Mighty Thor.

And interesting how they never brought or developed Thor's alter ego Dr. Donald Blake into the fray. Just kept Hemsworth as Asgardian Thor only.
Dr. Donald Blake would have been too much to explain to the audience if they had integrated the character into the movies in my opinion.

quickccc

Reaction score
For those bashing Zendaya for not doing MJ right... you really have to go into the mentality that it's NOT Mary Jane Watson. That's not even the character's name. Sure, she's MJ but not Mary Jane.

Her personality is really closer to other love interests Peter has had over the years. Once you realize they didn't follow the comic and it's not the MJ everyone knows, you can appreciate her as her own character.

and i blame the directors for the MJ confusion and misunderstanding ... why give Zendaya the MJ name which would bound to confuse viewing audiences that will immediately
reference it to Mary Jane Watson, even with Sam Raimi's Spidey/Parker versions ? .

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Back in the day, I was glad Marvel began focusing solely on hero characters back in the late 1970's/early 1980's. I am old enough to remember when Rick Jones was linked cosmically with the original Captain Marvel and how they would swap places. Did a number of eyerolls back then. :rolleyes:

The Peter Parker reveal was pretty darn good. Too bad they backtracked on it.

quickccc

Reaction score
I believe he’s Australian.

But I think he’s perfect casting and I never want to see anyone rude even TRY to replace him.

Yeh, mere eyeglasses such as Clark Kent and Diana Prince.. should easily hide and disguise their alter egos and identities faces and fool the general audience.

what were DC creators thinking ? ... (or drinking?) :confused:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
and i blame the directors for the MJ confusion and misunderstanding ... why give Zendaya the MJ name which would bound to confuse viewing audiences that will immediately
reference it to Mary Jane Watson, even with Sam Raimi's Spidey/Parker versions ? .
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/marvel-comics-and-movies.496024/page-11#post-11888191

Keith Feige provided an explanation but the larger audience would not have known why they did it if they had not heard or read his reasoning anyway. And then there were guys like me in the audience who forgot what he said lol.

Even so, I like the introduction of new characters along with the main ones. It helps keep things freshly separate from previous movie franchise--especially from the two previous Spider-Man franchises.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeh, mere eyeglasses such as Clark Kent and Diana Prince.. should easily hide and disguise their alter egos and identities faces and fool the general audience.

what were DC creators thinking ? ... (or drinking?) :confused:
It was a pre-World War II storytelling plot device. "People hiding in plain sight." Of course, DC has not completely divorced itself from that method used many decades ago.

quickccc

Reaction score
Long time coming for this one.
:omg:

I just didn't get with the 2nd one .. a real let down after the first GOTG was such a smash hit .

Kurt Russell as Ego .. felt a lot close to a ripoff like the cosmic rain cloud that was supposed to be Galactus in the Fantastic Four 2.

And i thought the 2nd GOTG was gonna be much more reference and future connection to Adam Warlock and "Her ".

:oops:

nobody

Reaction score
I just didn't get with the 2nd one .. a real let down after the first GOTG was such a smash hit .

Kurt Russell as Ego .. felt a lot close to a ripoff like the cosmic rain cloud that was supposed to be Galactus in the Fantastic Four 2.

And i thought the 2nd GOTG was gonna be much more reference and future connection to Adam Warlock and "Her ".

Let's hope they get Galactus right next time and build up his threat slowly with hints and things.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
It was not awful and disappointing to me. A good '85%' of the series was Oscar Isaac' acting the characters of Marc Spector and Steven Grant, which was pretty good. So was F. Murray Abraham's voicework as Khoushu and May Calamawy's interaction as Layla.

Instead, the overwhelming focus on Isaac's acting prowess diminished the true centerpiece of the series, which should have been Moon Knight himself. The non-attention to MK made the series flat and ho-hum more often than not but not entirely.

I did not get a 'too british' feel. Then again, that is likely do to me normally tuning out actors' accents. For example, I could describe all Star Wars episodes as too british but don't because I do not pay that close attention to how every line is spoken, lol.

There was much more satire delivered than comedy in my opinion. I think most of the dialogue sought to make the audience chuckle than belly laugh at the material. That said, I did laugh pretty hard at Marc and Steven freaking out the first time they ran into Taweret the hippo goddess. That was definitely comedy.
Well I did not care for the Steven Grant character at all , or the whole Khoushu thing.
I like oscar as a dramatic actor, and I thought this would or might be a serious drama, where he fights villians or crime.

By british, I dont mean the accents, but location, and dialogue and characters.
Like you both said , MK was hardly in it, so they might as well have titled this marc and steven show.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I’m fine that she’s the Mighty Thor in this film. With Chris Hemsworth. Just don’t try to give me a future film with her as Thor if Hemsworth is, in fact, done in the role.
They will turn them all into women lol.
Males will be villians and or stupid needing help.
Spider girl or woman will happen in not too distant future.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
My favorite superhero on film, are 2 of the netflix shows, daredevil and punisher.
Those 2 were great and realistic, without all the special effects and crap that is in the movies.

As soon as Disney bought marvel they shut those shows down, saying that isnt their view of what those characters should be.
:espn: same for Disney

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I liked it just fine. To be honest, I’m not terribly excited about Adam Warlock in Vol 3. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They will turn them all into women lol.
Males will be villians and or stupid needing help.
Spider girl or woman will happen in not too distant future.

I’m noticing that it’s forced. Disney/Marvel is trying to do too much, too soon. It needs to happen gradually and organically. I am all for equality in all forms, but when I can SEE the agenda, I resent it, and usually end up going against it.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
So what did you guys think of moon knight??
I thought it was awful and disappointing . too british, too much comedy and really bad comedy.
I was disappointed but not really surprised. I posted a comment earlier that I thought that Netflix would probably have done a better job with the Moon Knight character. He got too "Disney-fied" and that's not really a character that fits well into the DisneyVerse. I think it fits better with how Netflix dealt with darker characters like Punisher, Jessica Jones and Daredevil. Disney dealt with his multiple personalities in a too cartoony and comedic fashion. Disney has to make characters family friendly and some simply do not fit into that mold without destroying the integrity of that character.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
My favorite superhero on film, are 2 of the netflix shows, daredevil and punisher.
Those 2 were great and realistic, without all the special effects and crap that is in the movies.

As soon as Disney bought marvel they shut those shows down, saying that isnt their view of what those characters should be.
:espn: same for Disney
Mine as well, throw in Luke Cage also. I shudder to think how Disney would treat a Punisher show, they'd have him running around with paintball guns or a beanbag shotgun and cracking jokes like he's on an episode of "Seinfeld"

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Hemsworth was perfectly cast as Thor. The issue I had wasn't the acting, but the writing and direction. They started to have too much forced comedy and at times Thor sounded more like some two-bit comedian working an Open Mic Night at the Holiday Inn near the Airport. He supposed to be the God of Thunder not the God of Lame Jokes...... that's more Loki's domain :muttley:

quickccc

Reaction score
Shoot. I may eventually post a 'What Is Your Opinion of Zendaya' poll. She is much less liked than I used to think. :muttley:

why isn't Zendaya' Michelle Watson not near as romantically inclined or romantically realistic as was Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson ?

I get the premise that Tom Holland's Peter Parker version that the studio wanted to make it even more teenage-ish than Sam Raimi's version, but
at least i clearly felt Dunst in the Spidey movie. Parker, Harry, her acting career, her humor, her urge to push Peter into a more romantic connection and
commitment (confession?) .. even that look on her emotional weak-at the knees shocking look on her face when she found out her beloved Peter Parker was Spiderman

Such a priceless moment in the Spidey series.!!

But i don't get anything even near close to that with Zendaya' MJ character in these past Spidey movies,..
JAG (just another girl) of Marvel Cinema Universe ?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
why isn't Zendaya' Michelle Watson not near as romantically inclined or romantically realistic as was Kirsten Dunst's Mary Jane Watson ?

I get the premise that Tom Holland's Peter Parker version that the studio wanted to make it even more teenage-ish than Sam Raimi's version, but
at least i clearly felt Dunst in the Spidey movie. Parker, Harry, her acting career, her humor, her urge to push Peter into a more romantic connection and
commitment (confession?) .. even that look on her emotional weak-at the knees shocking look on her face when she found out her beloved Peter Parker was Spiderman

But i don't get anything even near close to that with Zendaya' MJ character in these past Spidey movies,..
The first movies were ripped right from the pages of the comics, so naturally you'd feel like all those connections are more natural. IMO, the Tom Holland franchise is more genuine to who Peter Parker is than the other two incarnations. As for Zendaya, she has acting chops, so my guess is that she's playing the role exactly how she was told.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Variety and humanity are interconnected. Mary Jane and Michelle Jones are not the same person. Relationships are also as varied as there are couples. Mary Jane and Peter's relationship would not be the same as Michelle Jones and Peter's.

Everyone's opinion of characters and relationships differ. I enjoyed the Dunst/Maguire pairing. Same with Stone/Garfield. Ditto for Zendaya/Holland. All three pairs acted three different romances.

Personally, I was not looking for Dunst/Maguire Part II. What I was looking for was another love story involving everyone's favorite neighborhood wall-crawler that was original. Zendaya and Holland pull it off for me. I got what I wanted. So. Meh.