Comics and Movies

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

‘Iron Man’ Creator Jack Kirby’s Son Slams Stan Lee Disney+ Documentary: ‘Over 35 Years of Uncontested Publicity’

By Benjamin Lindsay | The Wrap
June 18, 2023

The new Disney+ documentary, “Stan Lee,” was brought to task Saturday by Neal Kirby, son of revered comics creator Jack Kirby, who slammed the bio-doc as the latest in Lee’s “over 35 years of uncontested publicity.”

Raising questions about creator credit for much of his father’s work at Marvel — credit that for years has fallen to Lee, particularly in the public eye — Kirby shared a series of messages via his daughter Jillian’s Twitter account to express his continued frustration with Lee’s ubiquity as the mind behind the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“If you were to look at a list and timeline of Marvel’s characters from 1960 through 1966, the period in which the vast majority of Marvel’s major characters were created during Lee’s tenure, you will see Lee’s name as a cocreator on every character, with the exception of the Silver Surfer, solely created by my father,” Kirby wrote. “Are we to assume Lee had a hand in creating every Marvel character? Are we to assume that it was never the other cocreator that walked into Lee’s office and said, ‘Stan, I have a great idea for a character!’ According to Lee, it was always his idea.”

Read more

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I Went And Saw The Flash As A Casual DC Viewer, And I Have Some Thoughts About General Zod, Michael Keaton And More

By Riley Utley | CinemaBlend
June 18, 2023

While I’d consider myself a fluent fan in the world of Marvel, when it comes to the DC movies, I’m more of a casual viewer. This means that every time a new movie comes out about Batman or Wonder Woman I have to figure out if I need to go back and do some homework. Looking at the 2023 movie schedule and the list of upcoming DC movies, I was really pondering The Flash, and if I’d be able to keep up with it -- having not seen a movie with Ezra Miller’s speedster in it since the theatrical Justice League came out. So, for science, and your viewing pleasure, I went and saw The Flash as a casual DC viewer. Needless to say, I left the movie with some thoughts.

First, it’s worth noting there are some major moments that weren’t as meaningful to me as they will be to those who have seen the DC movies in order over the years. With that being said, let’s break down why a casual viewer will enjoy this movie about the Scarlet Speedster, but also why it might not pack the same punch as it will for longtime fans of the comic book universe.

Why Seeing The Flash Made Me Nervous

Now that we seem to live in a world where there are numerous multiverse movies in a given year, there’s always a question -- at least in my mind -- about whether I’ll be able to really understand a film. This is especially true with projects that are within an already-established franchise. The Flash made me nervous; I really didn’t know if I’d get it.

WARNING! Article Contains Spoilers | Read More

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tales From The Box Office: 10 Years Ago, Man Of Steel Kicked Off DC's Messy Cinematic Universe
By Ryan Scott | Slash Film
June 18, 2023

Superheroes have been the dominant force in pop culture for more than 20 years now, with Sam Raimi's "Spider-Man" truly serving as the point of no return in that regard. But it's easy to forget just how different the landscape looked even ten years ago, just as the Marvel Cinematic Universe had proven its concept of uniting multiple franchises under one roof with "The Avengers" in 2012. By 2013, that's what absolutely everyone wanted to do. Most notably, Warner Bros. was determined to make that happen with DC, having just wrapped up Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy with "The Dark Knight Rises."

Whether or not it was the intention at the outset, the beginning of that cinematic universe rested on Superman's shoulders and was delivered to us in the form of Zack Snyder's "Man of Steel" in the summer of 2013. A visionary director, a seemingly perfect cast led by Henry Cavill as Superman, and a bold new take on the classic superhero to help set it apart — what could possibly go wrong? In short, Warner Bros. wanted too much too fast, and Snyder was happy to try and give it to them.

In honor of the movie's 10th anniversary, we're looking back at "Man of Steel," how it came to be, how Zack Snyder tried to reinvent Superman for modern audiences, what happened when the movie hit theaters, and what lessons we can learn from it a decade removed. Let's dig in, shall we?

Read more

quickccc

Reaction score

I Went And Saw The Flash As A Casual DC Viewer, And I Have Some Thoughts About General Zod, Michael Keaton And More

By Riley Utley | CinemaBlend
June 18, 2023

While I’d consider myself a fluent fan in the world of Marvel, when it comes to the DC movies, I’m more of a casual viewer. This means that every time a new movie comes out about Batman or Wonder Woman I have to figure out if I need to go back and do some homework. Looking at the 2023 movie schedule and the list of upcoming DC movies, I was really pondering The Flash, and if I’d be able to keep up with it -- having not seen a movie with Ezra Miller’s speedster in it since the theatrical Justice League came out. So, for science, and your viewing pleasure, I went and saw The Flash as a casual DC viewer. Needless to say, I left the movie with some thoughts.

First, it’s worth noting there are some major moments that weren’t as meaningful to me as they will be to those who have seen the DC movies in order over the years. With that being said, let’s break down why a casual viewer will enjoy this movie about the Scarlet Speedster, but also why it might not pack the same punch as it will for longtime fans of the comic book universe.

Why Seeing The Flash Made Me Nervous

Now that we seem to live in a world where there are numerous multiverse movies in a given year, there’s always a question -- at least in my mind -- about whether I’ll be able to really understand a film. This is especially true with projects that are within an already-established franchise. The Flash made me nervous; I really didn’t know if I’d get it.

WARNING! Article Contains Spoilers | Read More
Despite its' box office flop, i still plan to go see the Flash at the theaters ... even if it's a CGI special effects and action scenes bit.

at least now i will go into it with low expectations

But yet another DC flop .. it does not speak well and do DC studio favors as viewers flocking to the theaters to see future DC movies ala Aquaman 2 and Batman Legacy.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...marvel-antihero/ar-AA1cL8De?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Kraven the Hunter Trailer Reveals First Look at Aaron-Taylor Johnson as the Marvel Antihero​

AA1cKUGS.img

quickccc

Reaction score

quickccc

Reaction score
I cannot say I was too pleased with finally viewing the Disney Plus' Secret Wars. Yes they were short stories Now i wished it could have been made out like the comics with
the likes of the Beyonder
:thumbdown:

screen-shot-2023-05-31-at-3.09.12-pm.png

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm still luke warm about a solo Kraven the Hunter movie ..with no Spider man to introduce or launch him.

And if there was a Kraven, i expected him more as a Disney series, than a stand alone solo movie.

I'm trying to keep an open mind approach with it. :rolleyes:
I kinda like the idea of introducing him solo, then have him meet Spidey. It's less predictable than having him be just another foe. Maybe Spidey will show up to battle him toward the end of the movie.

quickccc

Reaction score
https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/50greatestcomiccharacters/

https://www.pastemagazine.com/comics/the-100-best-comic-book-characters

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/prof...est-comic-book-character-according-to-/48097/

https://www.dc.com/characters?page=1

https://www.marvel.com/characters

When i think of the Comic book characters (all company brand names) that really broke the mold when came to how imaginatively genius of a creation they are.
I could think of several upon several comic characters that fit the bill.
And that's both superheroes and super villains, that includes Origin, Physical Powers & Abilities and Individual Characteristics...

Here's a look at my top 25 of such characters (Most Creative Super-hero/super-villain comic book Characters of All Time)
Am I leaving anyone else out ? ....

1 Spiderman
2 Wolverine
3 Daredevil
4 Superman
5 Silver Surfer
6 Incredible Hulk
7 Batman
8 Xmen
9 Galactus
10 Magneto
11 Storm
12 Iron Man
13 Dark Phoenix
14 Doctor Strange
15 Green Lantern
16 Elektra
17 The Fantastic Four
18 Thanos
19 J'onn J'onzz Martian Manhunter
20 The Vision
21 Apocalypse
22 Etrigan the Demon
23 Cloak and Dagger
24 Spawn
25 Wonder Woman
cb2a81229adc4399cbaee232813ae0c6.jpg

da5078434ac4d85675b66d7a0440e178.jpg

5117267ee77427f9adde1dca5e198686.jpg

efd3839cc9426d0874d76e79f4f49c0b.jpg

fc5cf764d560597dcebb8bdfc161febe.jpg

ce02128fd0be8a3f4ad896e2f96e3d25.jpg

baab89021c0bbd6aa6dff27a6c59e0e8.jpg

09a5e4c7120b9cedb7c6204ddd398880.jpg

083e888794ec250d208b82a83848e523.jpg

a3fa54600c9056318e6bd02fc0b5b9f9.jpg

quickccc

Reaction score

I agree with Starlin's sentiment 1000%. One of my biggest pet peeves is the lack of recognition of comic book characters or how the recognition is buried in movie or television credits.

Take Man of Steel for example. It's 45 seconds into the ending credits before 'Superman Created By Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster' appears on screen. In my opinion, both gentlemen's names should be slotted directly behind the movie title, which appears immediately after Clark and Lois smile sheepishly at each other before the credits roll.

Everyone in front and behind the camera deserve having their names showcased. Stars, directors, producers, studios, etc. These folks (we always hope) strive for a successful presentation and ranking in millions of dollars and/or viewers. However, no one would have the opportunity of accomplishing anything associated with the character or characters without the individual imagination of a character's creator.

I saw the Flash ... I admit that I liked it more than I did with Shang Chi and the Eternals ... it kept a goof ball humor mode was very thin line going that was careful not to over blow it on the comedy role.
- Unlike Thor Love and Thunder (uugh)

The CGI special effects and battle scenes are gonna remind you of Zack Snyder's format. I thought it was clear evident that this flash movie " borrowed" bits and scenes from Marvels XMEN's Quicksilver slow motion action ...quite a bit

There's a special guest appearance by a certain DC hero that is not in the trailers at all...

10c5fb823769046a5dbdef34ff3f99ce.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I saw the Flash ... I admit that I liked it more than I did with Shang Chi and the Eternals ... it kept a goof ball humor mode was very thin line going that was careful not to over blow it on the comedy role.
- Unlike Thor Love and Thunder (uugh)

The CGI special effects and battle scenes are gonna remind you of Zack Snyder's format. I thought it was clear evident that this flash movie " borrowed" bits and scenes from Marvels XMEN's Quicksilver slow motion action ...quite a bit

There's a special guest appearance by a certain DC hero that is not in the trailers at all...

10c5fb823769046a5dbdef34ff3f99ce.jpg
The fun thing about reading everyone's opinions of superhero movies is the diversity of appreciation. I have watched Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings and Eternals multiple times. And will keep coming back to them. On the other hand, I highly doubt I will watch The Flash again. Ever.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
The fun thing about reading everyone's opinions of superhero movies is the diversity of appreciation. I have watched Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings and Eternal multiple times. And will keep coming back to them. On the other hand, I highly doubt I will watch The Flash again. Ever.
How much of that is a Marvel vs DC thing, more familiarity or preference with the Marvel characters vs the DC ones?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How much of that is a Marvel vs DC thing, more familiarity or preference with the Marvel characters vs the DC ones?
I personally like most of the Marvel characters, whereas the only DC characters I like as much are Superman, Wonder Woman, and...Nope, that's it. Aquaman is okay, and Batman is contingent on the actor. I don't care for The Flash.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I personally like most of the Marvel characters, whereas the only DC characters I like as much are Superman, Wonder Woman, and...Nope, that's it. Aquaman is okay, and Batman is contingent on the actor. I don't care for The Flash.
But is that based on the comic book versions or the movie/TV depictions of the characters? Personally, I was never into Superman, too overpowered, so I know I'm biased versus the movies. For me, a Superman movie has to work harder to win me over versus an X-Men movie which I will be more receptive.

quickccc

Reaction score
Still to this very day, DC films have had quite a difficult time selling their films to the general audience. ... the first Wonder Woman has been the last successful turn out among
viewing audiences, ..and that could be credited to her both being a very popular DC comic character ..as well as a a very popular female super hero.

Aquaman was a modest box office. ..and i believe it had a lot to do with a popular DC hero and first time on screen curiousity..and of course as with any movie, it had to have enough plus reviews to get viewers to the theaters ... dunno if the sequel will have same results

In fact ..can we name a more popular female super hero in any comic character world than Wonder Woman . That said , i have my doubts that DC can pull the WW mania off again even with new direction, studio operations. And having WW84 flop did not help matters !

The Flash ... Great idea to include other DC , Justice League superheroes- albeit cameo appearances .
even reaching out to " old school " appearances such as Michael Keaton as trailers revealed. .. I just do not think it stood a chance without such other characters,..

1b5b28cd729ee6bd133ad900ec4a958f.jpg

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I guess that sums it up as far as my first sentence is concerned. I do enjoy reading how anyone feels about Marvel vs DC and/or their knowledge or preferences for either companies characters.

It does not have anything to do with my last two sentences. Personally, I consider Shang Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals far better superhero movie adapted presentations of how I envision comic books than The Flash.

It depresses me somewhat because I did enjoy how well the time paradoxes in The Flash were interconnected, which is essential to the comic book Flashpoint context. Admittedly, most of my problem with the movie is Erza Miller and continuation of how Zack Snyder sees Barry Allen and the superhero. The television series and I went our separate ways after the fourth season but I would GLADLY replace Miller with Grant Gustin in a nanosecond. And I say that while believing another actor should be able to play the character to the level of my expectations better than Gustin has.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Still to this very day, DC films have had quite a difficult time selling their films to the general audience. ... the first Wonder Woman has been the last successful turn out among
viewing audiences, ..and that could be credited to her both being a very popular DC comic character ..as well as a a very popular female super hero.

Aquaman was a modest box office. ..and i believe it had a lot to do with a popular DC hero and first time on screen curiousity..and of course as with any movie, it had to have enough plus reviews to get viewers to the theaters ... dunno if the sequel will have same results

In fact ..can we name a more popular female super hero in any comic character world than Wonder Woman . That said , i have my doubts that DC can pull the WW mania off again even with new direction, studio operations. And having WW84 flop did not help matters !

The Flash ... Great idea to include other DC , Justice League superheroes- albeit cameo appearances .
even reaching out to " old school " appearances such as Michael Keaton as trailers revealed. .. I just do not think it stood a chance without such other characters,..

1b5b28cd729ee6bd133ad900ec4a958f.jpg
The original question was more about the characters themselves than about the movies. @DallasEast mentioned that he would not watch The Flash movie again, but has re-watched The Eternals multiple times, which by most accounts, was not very good. So is the reason more based on the fact that he's more connected to The Eternals characters based on prior experience or because it's that much better of a movie than The Flash.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
On that particular sub-topic, I really REALLY liked Michael Keaton's Batman and flat out loved Christain Bale's Batman. I have either been okay with all other live action actors donning the cap and cowl or detested it (example of the latter: Adam West :rolleyes: ).

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I guess that sums it up as far as my first sentence is concerned. I do enjoy reading how anyone feels about Marvel vs DC and/or their knowledge or preferences for either companies characters.

It does not have anything to do with my last two sentences. Personally, I consider Shang Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings and Eternals far better superhero movie adapted presentations of how I envision comic books than The Flash.

It depresses me somewhat because I did enjoy how well the time paradoxes in The Flash were interconnected, which is essential to the comic book Flashpoint context. Admittedly, most of my problem with the movie is Erza Miller and continuation of how Zack Snyder sees Barry Allen and the superhero. The television series and I went our separate ways after the fourth season but I would GLADLY replace Miller with Grant Gustin in a nanosecond. And I say that while believing another actor should be able to play the character to the level of my expectations better than Gustin has.
I never read many Flash comics, but it seems we're on the same page about the TV series. I liked up until the 4th season or so and thought Gustin did a pretty good job. Outside a few brief Miller's Flash appearances, I was not familiar of any of his other work. Agreed on Gustin, while I liked him in the series I could see it recast but at least be as convincing in the role.