Comics and Movies

nobody

Reaction score
Just my opinion but I think Marvel has leaned more heavily upon longer established characters, both major and minor, until recently. Perhaps it was thinking those types of characters that worked best for them over time in paperback would translate better for general audiences on the big and small screen.

If true, the overwhelming bulk of characters seen in the released MCU Phases thus far have origins in the 1960's and 1970's. Captain America even precedes that era. Even characters or comic titles like Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy had a different but related versions from back then that has been shown since Iron Man debuted. The same goes for fairly new characters like Ms. Marvel, who originally started out as Carol Danvers before being re-imagined for Kamala Khan.

On the other hand, Sentry has only been around for 20 or so years. He is very established now but his actual longevity in media is brief compared to other characters.

I think Marvel is digging deeper into its category of newer characters now that the MCU has laid a huge foundation. How Sentry will thrive or whither with audiences is a question though.
Here's my take on Sentry: As a new character, it was a very interesting premise as far as he's his own nemesis. Sentry/Void. That offers a lot of interesting story. The retcon of having him being there the whole time but everyone forgetting? It spits on the face of the characters that have been there the whole time and helped build superhero legacy.

It would have been much better had he been introduced as someone new to the hero scene. There are two reasons I state this: One, it pays respect to the creations before it without having upset continuity in any way. Two, it allows his development to start from day one with the readers as the writers and readers discover who he is at the same time. Fans would get detailed stories of him starting out and learning about the Void. The way they did it completely turned me off to the idea. The look and name? Kick butt. The idea of Sentry/Void? Kick butt. Him starting out as a petty criminal (while already done before, still not overdone)? Cool. Retconning him like that and just offering the flimsy/stupid "Everyone forgot"? Stupid and insulting.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Can't believe @DallasEast hasn't posted this but, it appears that Pedro Pascal is slated to be Mr. Fantastic. How do ya'll feel about the casting? Personally, I like him a lot, but really wanted to see John Krasinski instead.

‘Fantastic Four’ Eyes Pedro Pascal to Play Mr. Fantastic​

Pedro Pascal is currently being eyed to play Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, a brilliant scientist who gains the ability to bend and stretch his body like rubber following exposure to gamma rays during a scientific expedition to outer space.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/fantastic-four-pedro-pascal-mr-fantastic-1235355985/

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't believe @DallasEast hasn't posted this but, it appears that Pedro Pascal is slated to be Mr. Fantastic. How do ya'll feel about the casting? Personally, I like him a lot, but really wanted to see John Krasinski instead.

Pedro Pascal is currently being eyed to play Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, a brilliant scientist who gains the ability to bend and stretch his body like rubber following exposure to gamma rays during a scientific expedition to outer space.

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/fantastic-four-pedro-pascal-mr-fantastic-1235355985/
I was not completely sold on Krasinski, even after Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, but he would get my vote over Pascal. The Mandalorian and The Last of Us have made him the Hollywood's latest hotness but I cannot picture him as Dr. Richards. In my opinion in this particular instance, this is NOT The Way.

nobody

Reaction score
I was not completely sold on Krasinski, even after Doctor Strange and the Multiverse of Madness, but he would get my vote over Pascal. The Mandalorian and The Last of Us have made him the Hollywood's latest hotness but I cannot picture him as Dr. Richards. In my opinion in this particular instance, this is NOT The Way.
I kind of wish they'd go fishing in the "Unknowns" pool for casting of some of these characters. Quit going with the next big name.

nobody

Reaction score
I watched a youtube video last night that, in my opinion, absolutely hit the nail on the head on what's been wrong with Marvel after the Infinity saga, with DC, with the new star wars movies, and with a lot of modern cinema. It touched on what I posted before about having a person or group of writers in solitary overall control of the overarching story:

TLDR version: This is not all of it, but a big point in it: Everyone (Marvel included) took the wrong dang idea from the early marvel movies up to Endgame and screwed up their own products as a result. It also explains how to fix it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The Marvels Collapses At Box Office With Record-Breaking 2nd Weekend Drop That's Worse Than Morbius​

BY BRENNAN KLEIN
PUBLISHED 22 HOURS AGO

The new Marvel Cinematic Universe outing The Marvels has the worst weekend 2 drop for any comic book movie, including the notorious Morbius.

SUMMARY​

• The Marvels faces a significant setback with a massive 79% drop in box office earnings during its second weekend.
  • The Marvels earned $10.2 million in weekend 2 after a $46.1 million opening.
  • This drop in box office performance is the largest for a comic book movie in its second weekend, surpassing the 74% decline seen by Morbius.

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-box-office-drop-worst-morbius-comparison/

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

The Marvels Collapses At Box Office With Record-Breaking 2nd Weekend Drop That's Worse Than Morbius​

BY BRENNAN KLEIN
PUBLISHED 22 HOURS AGO

The new Marvel Cinematic Universe outing The Marvels has the worst weekend 2 drop for any comic book movie, including the notorious Morbius.

SUMMARY​

• The Marvels faces a significant setback with a massive 79% drop in box office earnings during its second weekend.
  • The Marvels earned $10.2 million in weekend 2 after a $46.1 million opening.
  • This drop in box office performance is the largest for a comic book movie in its second weekend, surpassing the 74% decline seen by Morbius.

https://screenrant.com/the-marvels-box-office-drop-worst-morbius-comparison/
Gee, who could have predicted that?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gee, who could have predicted that?
giphy.gif

John813

Reaction score
While pure toxicity is a drag, reading the Marvelstudios reddit page has been tedious too with all the, "It's actually not a bad movie, go see it" threads, probably created by bots.
Seems like in general, most do not care about the film at all.
Honestly, this movie probably should of been a series on D+ with the reception it's getting. The Invasion series should of never been made, too.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While pure toxicity is a drag, reading the Marvelstudios reddit page has been tedious too with all the, "It's actually not a bad movie, go see it" threads, probably created by bots.
Honestly, this movie probably should have been a series on D+ with the reception it's getting. The Invasion series should have never been made, too.
Marvel failed to remember that “the customer is always right” and created content that they wanted, not what the fanbase asked for.

And they’re paying the price for that in their bottom line.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Honestly, this movie probably should of been a series on D+ with the reception it's getting. The Invasion series should of never been made, too.
I read that the director for the "Secret Invasion" mini-series was explicitly told to NOT read the original comics source material.

“When I took on this job as director, I didn't write the script. So a lot of those decisions were made by Kyle Bradstreet and the other team of writers that we had. The first thing I was told is don't read the comics. It had nothing to do with what we're trying to do here. This story was really born out of the electricity created between Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn or Nick Fury and Talos in Captain Marvel. And they said, "Oh, we got to do something with that." So they found a story that would serve that relationship and would expand the MCU and other characters who are not in the comic books. I think it's a story unto itself.”
:huh::facepalm:

https://movieweb.com/secret-invasion-director-was-told-to-not-read-the-comics/

John813

Reaction score
I read that the director for the "Secret Invasion" mini-series was explicitly told to NOT read the original comics source material.

“When I took on this job as director, I didn't write the script. So a lot of those decisions were made by Kyle Bradstreet and the other team of writers that we had. The first thing I was told is don't read the comics. It had nothing to do with what we're trying to do here. This story was really born out of the electricity created between Sam Jackson and Ben Mendelsohn or Nick Fury and Talos in Captain Marvel. And they said, "Oh, we got to do something with that." So they found a story that would serve that relationship and would expand the MCU and other characters who are not in the comic books. I think it's a story unto itself.”

Oh wow, thats something. And with their budget too..

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Comic book adaptation, which means the concept comes from comic books. Comic books make up a library or catalog of thousands of stories written for public consumption and entertainment.

So... Pretend source material does not exist. Instead, think what the characters and underlying story is all about, even though you have no idea who the characters are and why the story is what it is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That’s exactly what they did. They used the name to give it credibility and weight that it otherwise wouldn’t have had.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m not crazy about this casting if this is true.

Nothing against Steven Yeun. He’s just not The Sentry.

I’m glad that they’re introducing such a complex character and story to the MCU, but I disagree with the casting.
What are you talking about? It's like looking in a mirror! :muttley:

Don't worry, the good news is I doubt anyone in the movie going public knows who the hell Sentry is.

Marvel needs to get out their X-Men and Fantastic Four movies quickly. Starting to scrape the barrel for characters.

7773743-sentry5.jpg
bc57c5f27ecd49990bcdab824afe9a8afa-05-steven-yeun-feature.2x.h600.w512.jpg

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I read a pretty good article after the Pascal casting that makes several good points. Money is the problem, they bring in bigger names that cost more money which increases the budgets. The bigger the budgets, the bigger the risk and more pressure for the film to be profitable, which leads to more tinkering, interference, post production fixes to try and ensure success.

Pedro Pascal Proves Money Has Become Marvel's Greatest Villain​

Ever hear the old saying "If your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail?" Well, it's becoming increasingly clear that Disney's only real tool is money, which they've been throwing around with abandon to mixed results, especially recently.

Remember last year when Quentin Tarantino caught heat for saying that the Marvel actors aren’t the stars, the characters are? He was right. In the early 2010s, it looked like Marvel already understood that insight and one could argue that it was a key part in those films' extreme profitability.

Let’s look at Robert Downey, Jr. for a second. He was already a household name before he stepped into Iron Man, but after being released from prison his reputation was tarnished a bit, which helped Marvel pick him up for relatively cheap. Downey made $2.5 million for the first Iron Man, a handsome sum for sure. By Avengers: Endgame, he was pulling down $75 million. To put that into perspective, all of John Wick 3 was made for the same amount of money it took Robert Downey, Jr. to just walk on set for Endgame.

The Quantumania ending feels like it was made by committee. Everything feels calculated, and I mean in a math way, not in a creative way. While the rumored darker ending would have been a better set-up for Kang on the big screen, you could see how Disney would have been nervous to make a $200 million gamble on a finale that could realistically take years to resolve.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/comics-and-movies.496024/page-190#post-13132017

There's much more to the article as it also talks about the increased amount of content and creative process, but they made several good points.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

I think Pedro Pescal is a great actor and could perform any role given to him. I did prefer John Krasinski though.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Comic book adaptation, which means the concept comes from comic books. Comic books make up a library or catalog of thousands of stories written for public consumption and entertainment.

So... Pretend source material does not exist. Instead, think what the characters and underlying story is all about, even though you have no idea who the characters are and why the story is what it is.

Yes decades worth of material, a great, even iconic story within the medium, but we won't use that. I'd say you can't make this stuff up, but that's exactly what they did........ :muttley: