Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm a little late in this conversation but for whenever they get another Black Panther movie going,
I'd assume TC III will be more involved/coming into age as the Panther. But based off his age in BP 2 he's still quite young.
Has there been any talks about a recast for TC III

or is this movie so far away it's just all fan rumors?
Based on the reception for Wakanda Forever and Shuri as Black Panther? I don’t think Disney is in any rush at all to make a sequel.

In fact, I had read about plans for a Wakanda series for Disney+ but even that plan seems to have been put on hold.

After their recent struggles, including the Marvels, I think Marvel is going to be having some serious meetings about the direction of the MCU moving forward.

joseephuss

Reaction score
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steven-yeun-revealed-as-sentry-in-mcu-debut/1100-6519278/

Steven Yeun Revealed As Sentry In MCU Debut​

The Walking Dead star to join Marvel's team-up movie, Thunderbolts.

In a recent interview with comic book artist David Finch, The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman let fly that Steven Yeun is set to play the role of Sentry in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Thunderbolts. During a conversation live-streamed on Thursday, Kirkman disclosed the casting, stating, "My good friend Steven Yeun is playing the Sentry in a movie."

Sentry, also known as Robert Reynolds, made his debut in the comic books in 2000 and has since been a part of many Marvel series, including New Avengers and the Dark Avengers. The character's storyline revolves around Reynolds' rediscovery of his superhero identity and the impending return of his archenemy, the Void. Rumors of Yeun playing a significant role in the movie surfaced in February, but it remained undisclosed until Kirkman's recent statements.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/steven-yeun-revealed-as-sentry-in-mcu-debut/1100-6519278/

In a recent interview with comic book artist David Finch, The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman let fly that Steven Yeun is set to play the role of Sentry in the upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film, Thunderbolts. During a conversation live-streamed on Thursday, Kirkman disclosed the casting, stating, "My good friend Steven Yeun is playing the Sentry in a movie."

Sentry, also known as Robert Reynolds, made his debut in the comic books in 2000 and has since been a part of many Marvel series, including New Avengers and the Dark Avengers. The character's storyline revolves around Reynolds' rediscovery of his superhero identity and the impending return of his archenemy, the Void. Rumors of Yeun playing a significant role in the movie surfaced in February, but it remained undisclosed until Kirkman's recent statements.
Invincible will play Sentry. Sounds fitting. :)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I’m not crazy about this casting if this is true.

Nothing against Steven Yeun. He’s just not The Sentry.

I’m glad that they’re introducing such a complex character and story to the MCU, but I disagree with the casting.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m not crazy about this casting if this is true.

Nothing against Steven Yeun. He’s just not The Sentry.

I’m glad that they’re introducing such a complex character and story to the MCU, but I disagree with the casting.
I kinda went 'huh' too after reading the rumor earlier in the year. Now I am used to the idea but still weary about the casting.

If anyone could change my mind, it would be Yeun. I am still pissed off at what happened to him in The Walking Dead.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I think Yeun can pull off the characters mental issues. He just doesn't have any of the physical traits of the comic rendition, but are those even needed? Captain Marvel isn't muscle layer upon muscle layer, but is still shown as incredibly strong and powerful. It is the common question of "Why does Superman have/need muscles?". I have no vested interest in this character, so anything is fine by me. Is he even in the top 50 of Marvel characters?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I kinda went 'huh' too after reading the rumor earlier in the year. Now I am used to the idea but still weary about the casting.

If anyone could change my mind, it would be Yeun. I am still pissed off at what happened to him in The Walking Dead.
I hear ya about The Walking Dead, but that essentially set in stone based on the comics.

I do like him and I’m glad to see him getting work, but this just doesn’t say ‘The Sentry’ for me.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Yeun can pull off the characters mental issues. He just doesn't have any of the physical traits of the comic rendition, but are those even needed? Captain Marvel isn't muscle layer upon muscle layer, but is still shown as incredibly strong and powerful. It is the common question of "Why does Superman have/need muscles?". I have no vested interest in this character, so anything is fine by me. Is he even in the top 50 of Marvel characters?
What’s your criteria for “top 50”?

joseephuss

Reaction score
What’s your criteria for “top 50”?
Just overall popularity and appeal. He has his comic fans, but he really hasn't transferred to other media. The MCU has debuted many characters since Iron Man in 2008. He hasn't been one of them yet, which is telling. They have a whole bunch of other characters they would like to introduce and showcase over him as well such as FF and X-Men. Unlike those franchises, the MCU did have the rights to Sentry, but didn't utilize him. I'd say he is just outside of the top 50 and maybe say 40, but he certainly isn't one of Marvel's prime characters.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In terms of popularity amongst the Marvel characters.
Good question. I would questi-mate Sentry is in the Top 50 but perhaps the 35 - 45 range, maybe? He has not made any solid non-comic appearances in other forms of media, so core readers would have a higher opinion I think. Sentry is a somewhat enigmatic, although his mental, inner demons do not make him too offsetting for readers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hear ya about The Walking Dead, but that essentially set in stone based on the comics.

I do like him and I’m glad to see him getting work, but this just doesn’t say ‘The Sentry’ for me.

images
FYI, your link didn't work. It's says ***NOT ALLOWED*** in the body of the link. You'll notice it didn't even copy in my quote above.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

images
I've never heard of him, so I did a quick search. Long blonde hair...Yeah, that casting seems very wrong. Oh wait, we live in inclusive America now. Don't be surprised if Ru Paul is the next Storm.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just overall popularity and appeal. He has his comic fans, but he really hasn't transferred to other media. The MCU has debuted many characters since Iron Man in 2008. He hasn't been one of them yet, which is telling. They have a whole bunch of other characters they would like to introduce and showcase over him as well such as FF and X-Men. Unlike those franchises, the MCU did have the rights to Sentry, but didn't utilize him. I'd say he is just outside of the top 50 and maybe say 40, but he certainly isn't one of Marvel's prime characters.
I would definitely agree that he doesn’t have anywhere near the notoriety or name recognition that many others do. But I think a compelling backstory makes up for that.

When Shang Chi can get a movie, I don’t rule anyone out. He was every bit of an unknown as The Sentry.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just my opinion but I think Marvel has leaned more heavily upon longer established characters, both major and minor, until recently. Perhaps it was thinking those types of characters that worked best for them over time in paperback would translate better for general audiences on the big and small screen.

If true, the overwhelming bulk of characters seen in the released MCU Phases thus far have origins in the 1960's and 1970's. Captain America even precedes that era. Even characters or comic titles like Captain Marvel or Guardians of the Galaxy had a different but related versions from back then that has been shown since Iron Man debuted. The same goes for fairly new characters like Ms. Marvel, who originally started out as Carol Danvers before being re-imagined for Kamala Khan.

On the other hand, Sentry has only been around for 20 or so years. He is very established now but his actual longevity in media is brief compared to other characters.

I think Marvel is digging deeper into its category of newer characters now that the MCU has laid a huge foundation. How Sentry will thrive or whither with audiences is a question though.

nobody

Reaction score

Now...picture him as....SUNFIRE. (but I guess Simu Liu wants that part)