Comics and Movies

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...r&cvid=26234988b40b4a589f41fc63d3df865d&ei=10

Marvel mania is over: How the comic book super-franchise started to unravel in 2023

“The Marvels,” the follow-up to 2019’s “Captain Marvel” starring Brie Larson, had the franchise’s worst-ever opening weekend box office, with $47 million domestically.

" Even Disney CEO Bob Iger recently acknowledged that Marvel has "diluted" its brand (without admitting that it was mostly his strategy that got the company here).

e1cf4d6d7069695a4a91f6a7d611f63b.jpg
This sums it up well:

“The Marvel brand is no longer enough to sell any random project to viewers, and it is clear the people at the studio didn't realize this in time for "The Marvels" and other efforts.”

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...r&cvid=26234988b40b4a589f41fc63d3df865d&ei=10

" Quality has been an issue for Disney since it launched its streaming service in late 2019. In increasing its output to feed Disney+, Iger said the company "diluted" its quality, particularly when it came to its Marvel Cinematic Universe features. He said pandemic-related restrictions made it difficult for executives to oversee its increased number of film and television productions. "

(Me: This "Quantity" over "Quality " was the leading reason why I thought Marvel has been sure slacking it ..and it's cost them big time among audience viewers)
I think that What they’ve chosen to give us has been an even bigger problem.

quickccc

Reaction score

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/ne...ooking-too-good/ar-AA1lBLMQ?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Jason Momoa says his future as Aquaman“ ”is“ ”'not looking too good'​

f3c2971e68d31d7a46c96baae660d2bb.jpg
They never had a shot. They lame ducked all of them.

Either too much studio reshooting, or people not bothering to buy a ticket because they know a new version is in the works.

Aquaman going from Top 5 blockbuster to a dud with its sequel. Flash had no chance. Shazam 2 was dead on arrival.

Hope Gunn is as good as advertised. Not ready to see another wave of underwhelming DC movies.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Marvel drops actor Jonathan Majors after assault conviction, source says​

Jonathan Majors is out at Marvel after his misdemeanor assault and harassment conviction Monday, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC.

The actor, who was set to be a major chess piece in Disney’s

Marvel Cinematic Universe, was found guilty in connection with a March 25 incident that erupted between Majors and his ex-girlfriend in New York. He faces up to one year in jail. He is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 6.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/18/mar...ors-after-assault-conviction-source-says.html

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Marvel drops actor Jonathan Majors after assault conviction, source says​

Jonathan Majors is out at Marvel after his misdemeanor assault and harassment conviction Monday, a person familiar with the matter told CNBC.

The actor, who was set to be a major chess piece in Disney’s

Marvel Cinematic Universe, was found guilty in connection with a March 25 incident that erupted between Majors and his ex-girlfriend in New York. He faces up to one year in jail. He is scheduled to be sentenced Feb. 6.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/12/18/mar...ors-after-assault-conviction-source-says.html
Thanks for posting.

John813

Reaction score
Well, do they recast or they killed off the next big threat in an Antman movie/Loki Season 2?
I feel like they should recast, as Kang does have mulitple variants. Too bad he wasn't all CGI like Thanos and it was a voice actor lol.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, do they recast or they killed off the next big threat in an Antman movie/Loki Season 2?
I feel like they should recast, as Kang does have mulitple variants. Too bad he wasn't all CGI like Thanos and it was a voice actor lol.
It will be interesting to see what they decide to do.

They can recast, or they can decide to go in an entirely different direction.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The studio has the option for recasting but I hope they trash the central plotline now that they have dropped Majors. He was Kang in my opinion and had my total support.

It will take a great deal of imagination, a sizable revision of the multi-film storyboarding and re-marketing but it is certainly doable. There are several Big Bads (sorry. Buffy reference :muttley:) as available substitutes for the MCU phases to rotate around. The ending of The Marvels can easily generate a few alternatives that I think even general audiences can understand and enjoy.

What I do not want is for Disney/Marvel to go completely safe and re-insert Thanos. The goal is to make money, billions even, but the same imagination of the first three MCU phases can be recaptured IF the same dedication and detail were re-applied to screenwriting and direction.

It is possible to have another central villain as good as Thanos. It simply takes doing it right again.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I thought he was killed in Antman 3? That's how memorable his appearance was, just saw it 3-4 months ago and already can't remember what happened. I have not seen Loki Season 2 yet.

The studio has the option for recasting but I hope they trash the central plotline now that they have dropped Majors. He was Kang in my opinion and had my total support.

It will take a great deal of imagination, a sizable revision of the multi-film storyboarding and re-marketing but it is certainly doable. There are several Big Bads (sorry. Buffy reference :muttley:) as available substitutes for the MCU phases to rotate around. The ending of The Marvels can easily generate a few alternatives that I think even general audiences can understand and enjoy.

What I do not want is for Disney/Marvel to go completely safe and re-insert Thanos. The goal is to make money, billions even, but the same imagination of the first three MCU phases can be recaptured IF the same dedication and detail were re-applied to screenwriting and direction.

It is possible to have another central villain as good as Thanos. It simply takes doing it right again.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought he was killed in Antman 3? That's how memorable his appearance was, just saw it 3-4 months ago and already can't remember what happened. I have not seen Loki Season 2 yet.
Bold> I suggest watching the extra scene following Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania ending credits, lol. Also, Kang explained he was not the ONLY Kang in Loki Season 1 ;) :) , just as the character is depicted in the comics.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

Yeah, I hope they go a different direction too, just never felt it with Kang. I know we've already touched on Galactus and Dr. Doom, those would be my top 2 choices. They can always bring back a re-cast Kang at a later date if they want to and hopefully after figuring out how to maker him more intriguing/interesting on the screen to the public at large.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I hope they go a different direction too, just never felt it with Kang. I know we've already touched on Galactus and Dr. Doom, those would be my top 2 choices. They can always bring back a re-cast Kang at a later date if they want to and hopefully after figuring out how to maker him more intriguing/interesting on the screen to the public at large.
Why re-cast Kang? There are those (who post on and outside CowboysZone) who cannot wrap their minds around the concept of Kang The Conqueror. So, why give some of the MCU audience what they cannot figure and/or do not flat out like?

As far as diverting to other Big Bads, I certainly agree on Galactus or Dr. Doom as possibilities. Personally, I would lean more towards the World Devourer myself. I prefer a plotline seeking to be easily inclusive of as many Marvel characters as possible. That would be cosmic-level characters like Galactus (and why I likely enjoyed Eternals moreso than others) or other imagination-stretching characters, such as Kang.

That said, Dr. Doom should not disappoint IF done correctly. Really REALLY wish the FF would finally make their appearance and tie-in with Victor sooner than later.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Why re-cast Kang? There are those (who post on and outside CowboysZone) who cannot wrap their minds around the concept of Kang The Conqueror. So, why give some of the MCU audience what they cannot figure and/or do not flat out like?

As far as diverting to other Big Bads, I certainly agree on Galactus or Dr. Doom as possibilities. Personally, I would lean more towards the World Devourer myself. I prefer a plotline seeking to be easily inclusive of as many Marvel characters as possible. That would be cosmic-level characters like Galactus (and why I likely enjoyed Eternals moreso than others) or other imagination-stretching characters, such as Kang.

That said, Dr. Doom should not disappoint IF done correctly. Really REALLY wish the FF would finally make their appearance and tie-in with Victor sooner than later.
When I say they can re-cast Kang, I mean at a much, much later date and it certainly wouldn't have to be on the same scale as they had planned. They have a villain in their back pocket that could work in a shorter story arc, maybe a 2-3 project baddie, if and only if, they can find a better way to portray him on screen. He doesn't have to disappear permanently, stash him for a decade and re-think it.......lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When I say they can re-cast Kang, I mean at a much, much later date and it certainly wouldn't have to be on the same scale as they had planned. They have a villain in their back pocket that could work in a shorter story arc, maybe a 2-3 project baddie, if and only if, they can find a better way to portray him on screen. He doesn't have to disappear permanently, stash him for a decade and re-think it.......lol
I thought that is what you meant. I am saying portions of the audiences down the road will feel the same way about the character, even if he is COMPLETELY redone.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
I thought that is what you meant. I am saying portions of the audiences down the road will feel the same way about the character, even if he is COMPLETELY redone.
That's definitely true, I know I would be apprehensive, but never say never......lol Look at the Fantastic Four, two bad takes and maybe third times the charm? :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's definitely true, I know I would be apprehensive, but never say never......lol Look at the Fantastic Four, two bad takes and maybe third times the charm? :muttley:
True but I think most and approaching ALL of the audience, both comic book and non comic book fans, thought the first two Fantastic Four movies was slightly-to-moderately clownish. SPACE CLOUD! :facepalm: Someone should be shot for the 2015 <expletive>.

What I think most MCU fans have more confidence Marvel/Disney can correctly re-create The World's Greatest Comic Magazine's heroes and canon. There are no guarantees of course but there have been definitive examples showing comic book adaptations can be done extremely well in the mind of the bulk of MCU audiences.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
True but I think most and approaching ALL of the audience, both comic book and non comic book fans, thought the first two Fantastic Four movies was slightly-to-moderately clownish. SPACE CLOUD! :facepalm: Someone should be shot for the 2015 <expletive>.

What I think most MCU fans have more confidence Marvel/Disney can correctly re-create The World's Greatest Comic Magazine's heroes and canon. There are no guarantees of course but there have been definitive examples showing comic book adaptations can be done extremely well in the mind of the bulk of MCU audiences.
I was never a big fan of FF, I don't dislike them, just never read many FF comics, but I really like Galactus, Dr. Doom and Silver Surfer. The only time I really ever read any FF comics was due to one of those three....... :laugh: