Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marvel's She-Hulk Disney+ Series is Reportedly a 'Mess'
BY JONATHAN FUGE | MovieWeb
May 17, 2022

AAXnpAV.img

Thanks to several accidental leaks, which came courtesy of official channels, we have recently been privy to several slices of interesting information regarding the upcoming Marvel Disney+ series, She-Hulk. Including when it will air on the streaming platform. Unfortunately, thanks to some backstage insight from former The Hollywood Reporter editor and Puck co-founder Matthew Belloni, there may not be much to be excited about regarding She-Hulk, as the series is reportedly “a mess.”

“The upcoming She-Hulk is supposedly a mess, I’ve heard (even with Mark Ruffalo in a small role), and Ms. Marvel is another big test for fans. Nobody’s saying Marvel’s TV output is in trouble, but it’s something to keep an eye on."

Belloni discussed She-Hulk in the context of Marvel’s Disney+ output, some of which has seemingly been quite divisive. "So Moon Knight generated about half the initial viewership as Hawkeye, and many fans seem to dislike it intensely,” he said of the MCU shows. “I recently discussed the question of whether Marvel has a creative problem on my podcast, The Town, but even from a purely business perspective, Marvel needs to figure out how to generate Avenger-level interest from non-Avenger properties.”

Read More

And from what I know, Hawkeye was BY FAR the least-watched Marvel Disney+ series. So ‘about half the viewership’ are pretty terrible numbers.

And my own expectations for Ms. Marvel were already very low.

I think several factors are at work:
  1. Superhero fatigue - the market is saturated. Maybe oversaturated at this point.
  2. The quality of the series has seen a noticeable drop
  3. Lesser known characters
  4. Less compelling stories
  5. Smaller stories with less overall impact
  6. Too much forced diversity and genders

And from the sounds of it, that’s not about to get better anytime soon.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It sucked.
I tried but couldn’t get into it.
Y'all did more than me. I refused to give the show a shot. M.O.D.O.K. is one of the dumbest characters ever created in my opinion. He gives me a Rowdy the Mascot feeling every time I see him in anything, including cartoons. And plenty of folks already know I REALLY do not like Rowdy. :rolleyes::laugh:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No need to worry.

As big of a comic book fan as I am, I have intentionally never seen that abomination of a film (pun intended) and likely never will.

There are several that I have never wasted the time to watch.
Well, I am hopeful Teller stays MILES away from the entire MCU. If a role opened and both Teller and Wil Wheaton auditioned, I would hope Wheaton got it. And I say that knowing Wheaton is an actor in name only, lol.

quickccc

Reaction score
And from what I know, Hawkeye was BY FAR the least-watched Marvel Disney+ series. So ‘about half the viewership’ are pretty terrible numbers.

And my own expectations for Ms. Marvel were already very low.

I think several factors are at work:
  1. Superhero fatigue - the market is saturated. Maybe oversaturated at this point.
  2. The quality of the series has seen a noticeable drop
  3. Lesser known characters
  4. Less compelling stories
  5. Smaller stories with less overall impact
  6. Too much forced diversity and genders

And from the sounds of it, that’s not about to get better anytime soon.

I could see why Hawkeye failed …Why ?
Because Hawkeye was already a very boring character in the Avenger movie film series.

- Dunno if actor Jeremy Remers was a bad cast for the role, or the writers/director made the Hawkeye role a boring role.
But he bored me, he never intrigued, never an interest point, in fact I thought they gave him too much film time in End game,
So naturally I really did not expect Hawkeye to translate over to a successful Disney series. It would’ve had to totally surprise me and prove me wrong.
And it didn’t do that at all. I tried hard to see it out but abandoned with two episodes left.

- Question: How do the current Disney series (Falcon/Winter Soldier, Wanda Vision, Loki, Moon Knight) ..compares to the Netflix Marvel series (DD, Punisher, Jessica Jones,
Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because Hawkeye was already a very boring character in the Avenger movie film series.

- Dunno if actor Jeremy Remers was a bad cast for the role, or the writers/director made the Hawkeye role a boring role.
But he bored me, he never intrigued, never an interest point, in fact I thought they gave him too much film time in End game,
So naturally I really did not expect Hawkeye to translate over to a successful Disney series. It would’ve had to totally surprise me and prove me wrong.
And it didn’t do that at all. I tried hard to see it out but abandoned with two episodes left.

- Question: How do the current Disney series (Falcon/Winter Soldier, Wanda Vision, Loki, Moon Knight) ..compares to the Netflix Marvel series (DD, Punisher, Jessica Jones,

I think it really depends on what you’re looking for.

Do you want dark, gritty, and violent? Go with the Netflix series.

Do you want bigger production and storytelling and a connection to the Marvel films? Disney series are the way to go.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Personally, I liked Hawkeye a lot. I thought it was much better than Wandavision, which I almost gave up on, before they finally got away from the sitcom crap.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Question: How do the current Disney series (Falcon/Winter Soldier, Wanda Vision, Loki, Moon Knight) ..compares to the Netflix Marvel series (DD, Punisher, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Defenders)
Excellent question but I would expand choices to encompass every Marvel Comics television series that premiered post-Iron Man (2008). I would rank the shows, best-to-worst, as:
  • Daredevil (Netflix)
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (ABC)
  • Jessica Jones (Netflix)
  • Loki (Disney+)
  • Luke Cage (Netflix)
  • The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)
  • Agent Carter (ABC)
  • The Punisher (Netflix)
  • WandaVision (Disney+)
  • What If...? (Disney+)
  • The Defenders (Netflix)
  • Hawkeye (Disney+)
  • Runaways (Hulu)
  • Iron Fist (Netflix)
  • Moon Knight (Disney+)
  • Cloak & Dagger (Hulu)
  • Inhumans (ABC)

Note: I have not seen Hulu's Helstrom yet

Roadtrip635

Reaction score

I think the Netflix Marvel shows were much better. The characters were better developed, felt more human and not just "superheros". I'm actually re-watching Daredevil right now. The stories felt better developed and didn't feel rushed. It think there's a big difference between having a 13 episode season like DD vs the Disney 6-8, details get lost in too short of a season.

Another big difference is the type and way Netflix could tell a story, Disney has to be family friendly.

quickccc

Reaction score
Big box office, but the huge drop off is telling.

And I still can’t believe a phenomenal film like Winter Soldier wasn’t a much bigger box office hit. There truly is no accounting for taste.

I think Winter Soldier has low expectations going into the opening weekend. It did well but not record ground breaking numbers.

As much as a Marvel fan as i am, after Capt. America First Avenger, (which i considered average), I admit I had low expectations going in seeing Winter Soldier, simply
based off First Avenger.

So very likely, many other viewers, also had low expectations going into Winter Soldier.
After I saw Winter Soldier , I was immediately in such a “ Wow !” impression mode.

- It reminded me very much like John Wick.
Low expectations going into it, wondered if it was gonna be a surprisingly entertaining film per trailer,....or will it be another typical Keanu Reeves film that bomb-fails at the box office ?

Then after I saw John Wick .. wow !... what was that ? .. Mind-blowing !
And many others eventually saw it as well and came away with the same wow impressions , and thus word of mouth and legs traveled John Wick around

It became an overnight fan sensation, and thus the demand for more Wick.
Just imagine Capt. Marvel far exceeding opening box office numbers than Winter Soldier,
- although we all know why that happened- per it’s connection to Avengers End Game.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Personally, I liked Hawkeye a lot. I thought it was much better than Wandavision, which I almost gave up on, before they finally got away from the sitcom crap.
Same here liked Hawkeye too. Overall I liked WandaVision better, once they got into the story, but they almost lost me with that sitcom bit too. They rode that sitcom bit way too long, especially for a short series, it was clever but became tiresome.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Winter Soldier has low expectations going into the opening weekend. It did well but not record ground breaking numbers.

As much as a Marvel fan as i am, after Capt. America First Avenger, (which i considered average), I admit I had low expectations going in seeing Winter Soldier, simply
based off First Avenger.

So very likely, many other viewers, also had low expectations going into Winter Soldier.
After I saw Winter Soldier , I was immediately in such a “ Wow !” impression mode.

It reminded me very much like John Wick.
Low expectations going into it, wondered if it was gonna be a surprisingly entertaining film per trailer,
..or will it be another typical Keanu Reeves film that bomb-fails at the box office ?

Then after I saw John Wick .. wow !... what was that ? .. Mind-blowing !
And many others eventually saw it as well and came away with the same wow impressions , and thus word of mouth and legs traveled John Wick around

It became an overnight fan sensation, and thus the demand for more Wick.
Just imagine Capt. Marvel far exceeding opening box office numbers than Winter Soldier,
- although we all know why that happened- per it’s connection to Avengers End Game.:rolleyes:

I think that’s a very good explanation. The best one I can think of. I just wish word of mouth could have inspired more people to see it in theaters. It deserved better.

quickccc

Reaction score
Wow. That’s a very different opinion from my own. I think WandaVision is the best TV thing they’ve done. By far.

There's definitely various different opinions, as I'd have to claim Falcon/Winter Soldier as easily hands down, my favorite among the Disney-Marvel series.
Like others, I had all kind of issues trying to get past the black-white " I Love Lucy " like sitcom style.

Plus Winter Soldier continued the story of the the Super-Soldiers (all assassinated in Civil War)