Comics and Movies

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I don’t see how anyone can look at the Sequel Trilogy and try to claim it was ‘good planning’. That’s simply not true.

You clearly want to give them a pass on it, while I don’t.
I rarely have the save view as other people on movies. But I see it how I see it.

The last thing I will say on it. I have not watched the original in quite awhile, but it seemed to be built around the different enviromental sets they built. Due to technology and money the story is kind of crammed into the different sets they built. In oposition, the latest trilogy was able to smoothly move through a whole story line far better than the original, and I think it was paced and planned well for a trilogy.

It is rare for me to like a trilogy as a whole.

You don't have to give them a pass, but projection is in every star wars movie many times

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I rarely have the save view as other people on movies. But I see it how I see it.

The last thing I will say on it. I have not watched the original in quite awhile, but it seemed to be built around the different enviromental sets they built. Due to technology and money the story is kind of crammed into the different sets they built. In oposition, the latest trilogy was able to smoothly move through a whole story line far better than the original, and I think it was paced and planned well for a trilogy.
Do better effects and budget = a better trilogy?
It is rare for me to like a trilogy as a whole.

You don't have to give them a pass, but projection is in every star wars movie many times
Actually it isn’t. Force ghosts (Kenobi in Empire and Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin in Jedi) appeared in prior movies, but they didn’t interact with the physical plane, much less ‘create objects’.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Do better effects and budget = a better trilogy?

Actually it isn’t. Force ghosts (Kenobi in Empire and Kenobi, Yoda, and Anakin in Jedi) appeared in prior movies, but they didn’t interact with the physical plane, much less ‘create objects’.
Like i said I don't know star wars lore, but there were thousands of generations of jedi. I am sure there are lots of powers we did not see. They project their powers in the phyiscal plane to move and control stuff

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get the reference, but it reminded me of vox machina season 2, I looked it up and I think it has started
Deus ex machina (/ˌdeɪəs ɛks ˈmækɪnə, ˈmɑːk-/DAY-əs ex-MA(H)K-in-ə,[1] Latin: [ˈdɛ.ʊs ɛks ˈmaːkʰɪnaː]; plural: dei ex machina; English "god out of the machine") is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and unlikely occurrence. Its function is generally to resolve an otherwise irresolvable plot situation, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or act as a comedic device.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Deus ex machina (/ˌdeɪəs ɛks ˈmækɪnə, ˈmɑːk-/DAY-əs ex-MA(H)K-in-ə,[1] Latin: [ˈdɛ.ʊs ɛks ˈmaːkʰɪnaː]; plural: dei ex machina; English "god out of the machine") is a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem in a story is suddenly and abruptly resolved by an unexpected and unlikely occurrence. Its function is generally to resolve an otherwise irresolvable plot situation, to surprise the audience, to bring the tale to a happy ending, or act as a comedic device.
I had looked it up, but I don't get the reference. there was no irresolvable plot situations that him projecting resolved. There are many ways they could have escaped, including luke going in person, dying in person, or dying later on and having his conversation with kylo

They could have found the way out of the base sooner, and escaped without the need for the delay

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I found this upcoming clip from 2020. It is interesting how many changes, if any, Star Wars has made to its release schedule between then-and-now.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Posting this mainly because it talks about Ahsoka and, well, Rosario Dawson is in it.

Sue me. :p

nobody

Reaction score
They had far too much grey area and made things up as they went along.

J.J. Abrams is a big fan of ‘mystery boxes’ where details are saved for later. He used a lot of them in Force Awakens that were left up to the next director to fill.

A few glaring examples of poor planning.

1. Rey’s backstory. There was no clear vision of who she was and it changed multiple times.

2. Rian Johnson given far too much free rein to make drastic changes to the Star Wars mythos. Sullen, defeated, disrespectful Luke Skywalker? Rey’s parents were ‘nobody’? Tracking through hyperspace and a slow speed ‘chase’? Mary Poppins Leia? Crazy new Force powers? Smoke just casually killed off? I could go on and on.

3. Abrams coming back and course correcting most everything that Johnson did. Having to go back to the Palpatine well. It was great to see Ian McDiarmad as the Emperor again, but it was clearly not intended from the beginning of the trilogy.

4. A criminal misuse of the original trio of characters. None of them had anything close to a satisfying character arc and all deserved better.

The Sequel Trilogy had so many issues, all resulting from poor planning.
You forgot the insanely stupid hyperspace into another ship stunt. That literally changed how any space combat should be done in that galaxy and would have been discovered earlier. Step 1) Build cheap hyperspace fighters with high density. Step 2) have a droid pilot it. Step 3) Hyperspace into enemy capital ships. Step 4) Win.

Oh, and Super Saiyan Space Leia. She should have died in the bridge hit.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
* Click here for the entire list

OSCAR NOMINATIONS 2023 BY CATEGORY - 95th AWARDS​

Best Picture
James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

TOP GUN: MAVERICK
Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers

Actor in a Supporting Role
Ke Huy Quan in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Actress in a Leading Role
Michelle Yeoh in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Actress in a Supporting Role
Angela Bassett in BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER

Jamie Lee Curtis in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Stephanie Hsu in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Costume Design
BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
Ruth Carter

Shirley Kurata

Directing
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert

Film Editing
Paul Rogers

Eddie Hamilton

Makeup and Hairstyling
THE BATMAN
Naomi Donne, Mike Marino and Mike Fontaine

Camille Friend and Joel Harlow

Music (Original Score)
Son Lux

Music (Original Song)
"Hold My Hand" from TOP GUN: MAVERICK
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop

"Lift Me Up" from BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler

"This Is A Life" from EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne

Production Design
Production Design: Dylan Cole and Ben Procter; Set Decoration: Vanessa Cole

Sound
Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges

THE BATMAN
Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson

Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor

Visual Effects
Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett

THE BATMAN
Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy

Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick

Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
* Click here for the entire list

OSCAR NOMINATIONS 2023 BY CATEGORY - 95th AWARDS​

Best Picture
James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers

Actor in a Supporting Role
Ke Huy Quan in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Actress in a Leading Role
Michelle Yeoh in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Actress in a Supporting Role
Angela Bassett in BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER

Jamie Lee Curtis in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Stephanie Hsu in EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE

Costume Design
Ruth Carter

Shirley Kurata

Directing
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert

Film Editing
Paul Rogers

Eddie Hamilton

Makeup and Hairstyling
THE BATMAN
Naomi Donne, Mike Marino and Mike Fontaine

Camille Friend and Joel Harlow

Music (Original Score)
Son Lux

Music (Original Song)
"Hold My Hand" from TOP GUN: MAVERICK
Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop

"Lift Me Up" from BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler

"This Is A Life" from EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne

Production Design
Production Design: Dylan Cole and Ben Procter; Set Decoration: Vanessa Cole

Sound
Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges

THE BATMAN
Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson

Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor

Visual Effects
Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett

THE BATMAN
Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy

Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick

Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks

Writing (Original Screenplay)
Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
After watching Top Gun: Maverick , I have to say it was a pretty good movie, but for that to be nominated for Best Picture, it was a bad year for movies.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After watching Top Gun: Maverick , I have to say it was a pretty good movie, but for that to be nominated for Best Picture, it was a bad year for movies.
If you take a look at what both the Academy Awards and Golden Globes have done, you can see a concerted effort to be more inclusive and appeal to a more mainstream audience.

They realized that their past elitist behavior was turning away viewers and effectively rendering their awards meaningless.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you take a look at what both the Academy Awards and Golden Globes have done, you can see a concerted effort to be more inclusive and appeal to a more mainstream audience.

They realized that their past elitist behavior was turning away viewers and effectively rendering their awards meaningless.
I'm sure you're right, but still, "Most enjoyable for the average Joe" doesn't necessarily (or often) mean "Best Picture". There had to be something better than a virtual "repeat of the original" sequel.