Commanders expected to hire Ron Rivera

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
He's a defensive coach whose had average to elite defenses and saddled to mediocre OCs.
He should do well in Washington sadly. One less respectful candidate for us too.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Rivera's situation reminds me of Andy Reid's. still a really good coach when he got let go, and everyone knew it, but it was time to move on. i think he's exactly the kind of coach the Cowboys need.
I agree, and just because a coach gets fired from his first gig doesnt make him a bad HC. That's often just the easiest change to make, and makes the fans happy.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
We'll see. I think he'll be announced as their new coach as soon as today. Because Snyder, in his desperation, will throw more money and authority at Rivera than anyone else would, certainly more authority than Jerry Jones would ever give him.
Money and control in a bad organization is good but I think even with Jerry we are a better organization than the Skins which is worth a conversation if the Cowboys is interested if I am Rivera IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Money and control in a bad organization is good but I think even with Jerry we are a better organization than the Skins which is worth a conversation if the Cowboys is interested if I am Rivera IMO.

I hope you're right.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Rivera's record (as a member of coaching staff) versus the Cowboys is 13-5. As HC, 2-1.

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
He's a defensive coach whose had average to elite defenses and saddled to mediocre OCs.
He should do well in Washington sadly. One less respectful candidate for us too.
I'm not so certain that JJ's strategy isn't just to simply take his sweet time in a coaching "search" and then retain JG after all is said and done. Here is a quote I lifted from an ESPN article (quoting JJ):

"What other teams are doing, I'm not concerned about from a timing standpoint," Jones said. "I'm just not concerned about it. They can hire every name you've heard tonight, I'm not concerned."

His strategy may be to simply slow-walk his "search" and end up claiming that JG is the best coach available in his mind (after numerous high profile coaches have been hired), and then sign him again. It would not shock me for him to take that approach. The more time that goes by without us hearing something on either JG not coming back or another HC is coming in, the greater the chance that JG returns, IMO.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Safe hire. Doesn't really move the needle for me but if he's paired up with a good GM they can win.

Same for me. I think he was actually one of the few candidates that might have been able to function well enough under the Jones dynamic to actually win. If nothing else, I think he could have improved this team's defense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did anyone else catch the 'blink and you missed it', quickly deleted post from the forum dunce telling me that "Bruce Allen isn't going anywhere"? I guess the fool quickly realized the truth and deleted it?

:lmao:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Rivera's situation reminds me of Andy Reid's. still a really good coach when he got let go, and everyone knew it, but it was time to move on. i think he's exactly the kind of coach the Cowboys need.
I agree, but not gonna happen apparently.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'm not so certain that JJ's strategy isn't just to simply take his sweet time in a coaching "search" and then retain JG after all is said and done. Here is a quote I lifted from an ESPN article (quoting JJ):

"What other teams are doing, I'm not concerned about from a timing standpoint," Jones said. "I'm just not concerned about it. They can hire every name you've heard tonight, I'm not concerned."

His strategy may be to simply slow-walk his "search" and end up claiming that JG is the best coach available in his mind (after numerous high profile coaches have been hired), and then sign him again. It would not shock me for him to take that approach. The more time that goes by without us hearing something on either JG not coming back or another HC is coming in, the greater the chance that JG returns, IMO.

When was that ESPN dated. That is absolutely the same approach he took in hiring our DC several years ago and we ended up with Monte Kiffen.

:facepalm:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I really like Rivera and think he's a great coach, but Snyder is much too toxic for anyone to succeed there.

Look how Shanahan and Gibbs worked out.